Teams Interested in Viciedo

Y2Jimmy0

If anyone is dumb enough to give us anything of value for him, take it. With his collection of "skills" he pretty much needs to hit 35 home runs to be a worthwhile starter. He's a big fat strong guy. He's a liability at the 2nd easiest position on the field. He's obviously subpar on the base paths. Remember when he hit 25 homers in his first full season? That was a nice start. And his high-water mark thus far. And still not remotely enough. A .744 OPS for a defensive liability is not close to good enough.

The only thing you could say he has excelled at in the major leagues is hitting lefties. If we're offered nothing decent for him and can pay him $2.8 million again next year, make him the Konerko of the 2015 team. DH against lefties. Emergency outfielder if we've got some injuries. Jordan Danks is a more valuable baseball player.

The Sox should focus on getting the highest possible value (hitting, defense, base running) outfielder they can next year including if that means sliding Eaton to left field. DH Viciedo against lefties if he's on the team.

Edited by Vance Law

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 03:40 PM)
If anyone is dumb enough to give us anything of value for him, take it. With his collection of "skills" he pretty much needs to hit 35 home runs to be a worthwhile starter. He's a big fat strong guy. He's a liability at the 2nd easiest position on the field. He's obviously subpar on the base paths. Remember when he hit 25 homers in his first full season? That was a nice start. And his high-water mark thus far. And still not remotely enough. A .744 OPS for a defensive liability is not close to good enough.

The only thing you could say he has excelled at in the major leagues is hitting lefties. If we're offered nothing decent for him and can pay him $2.8 million again next year, make him the Konerko of the 2015 team. DH against lefties. Emergency outfielder if we've got some injuries. Jordan Danks is a more valuable baseball player.

The Sox should focus on getting the highest possible value (hitting, defense, base running) outfielder they can next year including if that means sliding Eaton to left field. DH Viciedo against lefties if he's on the team.

Great post. He's a 4th OF to start against LHP. If the Mariners think he's more than that, awesome.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 09:53 AM)
I get that too, but I'm looking at his 2nd year arbitration status next year and realizing that the time it might take for him to figure it out will start getting a lot more expensive soon.

Yeah, but we're spending roughly the same amount of money on DeAza, Beckham, Keppinger and Downs.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)

I stopped reading. Jordan Danks isn't even Brian Anderson. Guaranteed another 90+ loss team with Danks playing 145+ games.

The thing is....Viciedo's just coming out of the worst slump of his career. Of course his stats aren't so great compared to the first or second week of May.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 10:12 PM)
Viciedo is a streak hitter. I think he will probably be a .290 type hitter with about 20 - 25 HRs a year.

Uhh, where are you getting that from. He hasn't threatened to hit anywhere near .290 in the last 4 years.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 11:23 PM)
Just my opinion. He's been a high average hitter in Cuba and in the minors. He's still only 25 and was injured last season.

Meh. Even if he is a 290/330/460 hitter, he's at most a 2 WAR player. He isn't going to magically become a better fielder or baserunner. Being charitable, he becomes league average at both -- he turns into a 3 WAR player.

And that is just pie in the sky stuff. What about Viciedo screams "290 hitter" in today's offensive environment?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 08:26 PM)
Meh. Even if he is a 290/330/460 hitter, he's at most a 2 WAR player. He isn't going to magically become a better fielder or baserunner. Being charitable, he becomes league average at both -- he turns into a 3 WAR player.

And that is just pie in the sky stuff. What about Viciedo screams "290 hitter" in today's offensive environment?

A while ago I said Tank was destined to be traded or DH'ed so I won't disagree that he's not that valuable except for potential which teams are still willing to pay for. But I keep reading his base running sucks by some of you guys. I know he's no speedster but do you have something to support his baserunning is bad ? I watch just about every single game and he doesn't steal bases or get caught stealing , doesn't get picked off. I'd say on the eye test he's an average base runner.

If I trade Tank, I want to feel like it's a trade I will definitely not lose. Not just a deal where you walk away saying "well it's better than just giving him away!" but a deal where you feel okay if he really puts it together in a different environment

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 09:32 PM)
A while ago I said Tank was destined to be traded or DH'ed so I won't disagree that he's not that valuable except for potential which teams are still willing to pay for. But I keep reading his base running sucks by some of you guys. I know he's no speedster but do you have something to support his baserunning is bad ? I watch just about every single game and he doesn't steal bases or get caught stealing , doesn't get picked off. I'd say on the eye test he's an average base runner.

His defence is his main liability, but not getting picked off doesn't mean you're an average baserunner. When you have his speed, you often go one base at a time. That adds up in sucking value.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)
Jordan Danks is a more valuable baseball player.

Not even in the stratosphere of reality. Viciedo is basically middle of the pack among AL corner outfielder's offensively. I realize his D is poor but I also know he has a strong and accurate arm.

Eaton's not a LF. If we get another CF, then trade Easton.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 10:33 PM)
If I trade Tank, I want to feel like it's a trade I will definitely not lose. Not just a deal where you walk away saying "well it's better than just giving him away!" but a deal where you feel okay if he really puts it together in a different environment

I agree. In the back of my mind there is always the belief he can hit 40 homers, if he does it somewhere else that would suck

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 10:23 PM)
Just my opinion. He's been a high average hitter in Cuba and in the minors. He's still only 25 and was injured last season.

Don't battle the resident nerd. Dude has never actually seen a baseball game in his life, but he'll tell you all about it. Sabr and s*** like that. Soxtalk decided to make all the internet dudes mods.

Jake has become the only dude that actually knows wtf he's talking about. Good job Soxtalk.

Witesoxfan, eminor, rabbit and the rest of these lame ass douches have become the voice of White Sox baseball. Bunch of b****es.

They will continue to project players they've never actually seen.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 10:26 PM)

Nothing to me. .270 at best and a low OBP. If you can get value based on upside I would flip him.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 10:45 PM)
Don't battle the resident nerd. Dude has never actually seen a baseball game in his life, but he'll tell you all about it. Sabr and s*** like that. Soxtalk decided to make all the internet dudes mods.

Jake has become the only dude that actually knows wtf he's talking about. Good job Soxtalk.

Witesoxfan, eminor, rabbit and the rest of these lame ass douches have become the voice of White Sox baseball. Bunch of b****es.

Jesus, you're a delight aren't you. Why don't you tell me based on your in-person scouting of Dayan Viciedo why he's suddenly a .290 hitter.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 10:46 PM)
Nothing to me. .270 at best and a low OBP. If you can get value based on upside I would flip him.

So would I. And I think we can.

Seattle still looks like a likely spot - that's the sorriest hitting outfield I've ever seen. I wouldn't give him away for dud ex prospects though.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 10:45 PM)

Wow. How long have you been holding that in? For someone who consistently s***s on Gordon Beckham, you sure can't take it when people do the same about your guy huh?

Viciedo's polarizing because no matter what SABR analysis you throw at him:

1) You have to take into consideration how Abreu feels about him

2) Where you're going a replacement, as it's certainly not Jordan Danks/Sierra/Taylor or anyone between Chicago and Courtney Hawkins

3) His age, 25

4) The fact that more of a premium is being place on power than ever before in MLB

5) The fact that a lot of the bats available in FA are going to be expensive and the White Sox don't have many valuable trade pieces...and that attendance woes are depressing the projected payroll for 2015 UNLESS another impact bat or pitcher similar to Abreu or Tanaka comes along

6) Eaton is hitting for roughly the same OPS as Viciedo and A.Garcia will be coming off a lost season and rusty, so there are zero REAL certainties for the OF coming into 2015, other than the fact that Viciedo's the most likely to be traded, along with DeAza...and it's not like Eaton has been playing GG-level defense or making great throws in CF. He's been good/better than average, but definitely not in the vicinity of what was hoped.

7) If Semien or Micah Johnson do end up in the OF, you can't also have Eaton in that same outfield without getting 30+ homers and 30-40 doubles out of RF. Garcia has the TALENT to do it, but nobody in their wildest projections would foresee it coming together next year in terms of those numbers.

Edited by caulfield12