Teams Interested in Viciedo

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 06:45 PM)
That and the fact that Carlos Sanchez, Micah Johnson, Marcus Semien, Tyler Saladino and Leury Garcia can all play his position. And DeAza's a waste of salary this year as well since there's no way he's in the long-term plans.

Whereas we have Danks, a 29 year old Michael Taylor (keep reminding everyone Viciedo's still only 25), Sierra and Tuiasasopo to replace Dayan. Not to mention that we have to replace Dunn as well...with who???

Not if he keeps hitting like he has the last month.

I also saw that he's the 8th rated LFer in the league defensively this year.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 05:55 PM)
I am sorry, you are right, I was typing too fast and forgot I sentence.

I have no problem to let him walk after his contract is up. again, I would like to revisit the trade options

during the offseason, if we can not get a good rtn. sea needs this trade the sox can live without making

the trade.

We control his rights for three more years, should we so choose to.

We can certainly non-tender him, but Hahn had that option with DeAza and Beckham this past offseason and didn't go that route.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 05:57 PM)
Not if he keeps hitting like he has the last month.

I also saw that he's the 8th rated LFer in the league defensively this year.

This has to be some kind of joke. It's why I take all the defensive metrics with a grain of salt until they figure out a way to improve them.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 11:56 PM)
Or you can make the argument we should sign Chase Utley for $10 million and leave Viciedo in the mix...not trade Ramirez, add a veteran starter and figure out SOME WAY to replace Flowers.

If Rodon's on the timetable everyone is suggesting, he's going to factor in next year...despite the lack of an announcement about his signing yet today (doubt we'll hear anything that takes away from ASG selections, maybe tmrw?)

lets acquire more pieces to fix the puzzle, then let see what we have. I still say, by this time next yr, (ASG) the sox will

know what the team needs to get to the next level.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 11:57 PM)
We control his rights for three more years, should we so choose to.

We can certainly non-tender him, but Hahn had that option with DeAza and Beckham this past offseason and didn't go that route.

and by next yr, a good argument can be made to non tender.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 06:58 PM)
This has to be some kind of joke. It's why I take all the defensive metrics with a grain of salt until they figure out a way to improve them.

FWIW it's still a negative rating lol....nevertheless still 8th highest....I have no clue how that is all calculated so I'll go no further than that.

I remember last year most here said he'd be fine in LF but he's an awful CFer.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 11:58 PM)

I am still new to this metrics and all. but if you say you take the defensive metrics with a grain of

salt, do you take the others metrics with a grain of salt as well?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 12:02 AM)
Which is why you think about making a trade early, to avoid getting to that point.

and as I said, I am not oppose to trading, only if we can get back a decent not top value back. I am

not asking for their top 2 or 3 prospects. I am asking for fair value.

if the value is not there, screw the trade.

I am otta of here for the night.

Edited by LDF

The way I look at the situation is like this. Unless you can get some actual value for Viciedo right now, we're better off giving a full season and using him as an insurance policy in LF/DH heading into the offseason. If Hahn is somehow able to upgrade both positions, then dump Viciedo for whatever you can, as someone will absorb his $5M salary. Otherwise, you at least have a young, high potential hitter with multiple years of team control to roll the dice on.

Again, we need to look at the bigger picture here. We have multiple needs to fill where we don't have internal options. To realistically think we can acquire a starting catcher, a #2/#3 caliber RH starter, a left-handed power bat, and several RP in just one offseason is already quite ambitious. I don't see a reason to create another hole right now unless value is there.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 01:38 AM)
The way I look at the situation is like this. Unless you can get some actual value for Viciedo right now, we're better off giving a full season and using him as an insurance policy in LF/DH heading into the offseason. If Hahn is somehow able to upgrade both positions, then dump Viciedo for whatever you can, as someone will absorb his $5M salary. Otherwise, you at least have a young, high potential hitter with multiple years of team control to roll the dice on.

Again, we need to look at the bigger picture here. We have multiple needs to fill where we don't have internal options. To realistically think we can acquire a starting catcher, a #2/#3 caliber RH starter, a left-handed power bat, and several RP in just one offseason is already quite ambitious. I don't see a reason to create another hole right now unless value is there.

How much do we have to see of Viciedo to realize he's a bust? I'd trade him now following a good series. Trade him to the M's. They had to be impressed at the 4-hit game. Get a catcher with promise and a pitcher with decent upside and that's good enough.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 01:44 PM)
How much do we have to see of Viciedo to realize he's a bust? I'd trade him now following a good series. Trade him to the M's. They had to be impressed at the 4-hit game. Get a catcher with promise and a pitcher with decent upside and that's good enough.

Because he's still young and there have been some encouraging signs from him this season. Odds are, you're right, he is a bust of sorts and he won't ever turn into a very productive player, basically turning into the Cuban Delmon Young. He still has quick hands and a powerful stroke, and guys like that can turn it around in a New York minute,so you could see the Encarnacion/Beltre/Bautista/Davis outbreak where Viciedo becomes a very good hitter, but I don't see it happening. Right now, his value is incredibly low due to his lack of production to this point with his impending arbitration (and subsequent pay raise with less team control as well). On top of that, the Sox don't have someone beating down the door needing to play - they would be replacing him with Jordan Danks, Moises Sierra, or Michael Taylor. Thus, you play him and see if something clicks and he turns himself into a good player. If between the remainder of this season and next you can pretty safely tell he's not going to figure it out, you can begin to look at some change of scenery guys.

Bottom line, I don't see any reason to deal him unless a team is willing to overpay, and why would a team in contention be willing to overpay for an underproducing player?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 07:22 PM)
Because he's still young and there have been some encouraging signs from him this season. Odds are, you're right, he is a bust of sorts and he won't ever turn into a very productive player, basically turning into the Cuban Delmon Young. He still has quick hands and a powerful stroke, and guys like that can turn it around in a New York minute,so you could see the Encarnacion/Beltre/Bautista/Davis outbreak where Viciedo becomes a very good hitter, but I don't see it happening. Right now, his value is incredibly low due to his lack of production to this point with his impending arbitration (and subsequent pay raise with less team control as well). On top of that, the Sox don't have someone beating down the door needing to play - they would be replacing him with Jordan Danks, Moises Sierra, or Michael Taylor. Thus, you play him and see if something clicks and he turns himself into a good player. If between the remainder of this season and next you can pretty safely tell he's not going to figure it out, you can begin to look at some change of scenery guys.

Bottom line, I don't see any reason to deal him unless a team is willing to overpay, and why would a team in contention be willing to overpay for an underproducing player?

Good post. Makes total sense. I was just assuming the M's had interest in him and might overpay after his good series vs. them.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 01:44 PM)

No one will pay that if they think he's a bust.

I think that would be a fair return, actually.

Nieto and our AA catcher are getting a little interesting. I wish I had a sense of their defense, however. Hope to see Nieto in a little more action the 2nd half.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 03:25 PM)
No one will pay that if they think he's a bust.

I think that would be a fair return, actually.

Nieto and our AA catcher are getting a little interesting. I wish I had a sense of their defense, however. Hope to see Nieto in a little more action the 2nd half.

Kevan Smith at most recent viewing did not impress defensively. Significant work to do.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 06:47 PM)
keppinger was a very expensive mistake. (on a side note, why is he still on the IR in the minors)

No, Alphonso Soriano was a very expensive mistake, and Carl Crawford, A-Rod, Pujols is certainly going to be.

Keppinger's total contract over 3 years was $12 million. Not $120 million.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
No, Alphonso Soriano was a very expensive mistake, and Carl Crawford, A-Rod, Pujols is certainly going to be.

Keppinger's total contract over 3 years was $12 million. Not $120 million.

I still don't see them giving back the 2009 world series trophy.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 06:58 PM)

De Aza is a fast guy who can run to the ball and catch it. He made an inordinate number of errors and boneheaded plays last year. Have you seen the same this year? I have not. There's nothing remotely surprising about him being the 7th (according to Fangraphs) best LF this season. Especially because many teams routinely stick bad defenders out there (like Viciedo).

Man, Viciedo and Dunn are hot. And they've been doing it against good teams that may want trade pieces. If ever they are tradeable, now is the time.

Or is this the real Viciedo? If the past four games are the real Viciedo, he is Mini-Abreu. He has teased before. This is when you have to trust your scouts I guess.

p.s. I haven't changed my position on Dunn. I still am of the opinion Sox get very very little in return if anything.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 08:56 PM)
Man, Viciedo and Dunn are hot. And they've been doing it against good teams that may want trade pieces. If ever they are tradeable, now is the time.

Or is this the real Viciedo? If the past four games are the real Viciedo, he is Mini-Abreu. He has teased before. This is when you have to trust your scouts I guess.

p.s. I haven't changed my position on Dunn. I still am of the opinion Sox get very very little in return if anything.

Except the Red Sox suck, are flat and in last place now in the AL East.

And that was Dunn's first HR/RBI since the Giants series. Finally, Buchholz had a 6+ ERA coming into the game.

We are not getting anything for Dunn. The best case scenario is that he will be placed on waivers right before the August 31st deadline and a competitive team claims him.

In regards to Viciedo, the market really is heating up for his services. The question is, does Hahn truly believe that he fits into the future plans? I have a hunch that he is not part of the plan and that he will be dealt. This indeed is the perfect time for him to catch fire....

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 04:11 AM)
Except the Red Sox suck, are flat and in last place now in the AL East.

And that was Dunn's first HR/RBI since the Giants series. Finally, Buchholz had a 6+ ERA coming into the game.

whomever thinks that the red sox will trade to be a buyer is sadly mistaken. they are already rumored in

trying to trade to be sellers.