7/4 Games

GGajewski18

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 09:05 PM)
So what do we do about Ravelo and Smith?

Ravelo is age appropriate and can move up when the infield jam is cleared up at Charlotte (today's 1B was Saladino, a shortstop by trade). I'd promote Smith now, but I guess it depends on what you think of Phegley.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 10:21 PM)
Ravelo is age appropriate and can move up when the infield jam is cleared up at Charlotte (today's 1B was Saladino, a shortstop by trade). I'd promote Smith now, but I guess it depends on what you think of Phegley.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ravelo in AAA in August when hopefully Beckham is gone.. Is there a 1B that should be ahead of him in AAA though??

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 09:51 PM)
I wouldn't mind seeing Ravelo in AAA in August when hopefully Beckham is gone.. Is there a 1B that should be ahead of him in AAA though??

Not really. Dan Black has put up good numbers at all levels but isn't really seen as a prospect.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 09:51 PM)

Black and Wilkins are more placeholders/AAAA/filler...at one point, some viewed Wilkins as more than that, but not so much recently.

Edited by caulfield12

I'd probably leave Ravelo alone for a while and see if he can convert some of his hitting prowess into power prowess. They have a bunch of IF in AAA and I doubt they want to move Wilkins to AA

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 05:51 PM)
To people who know more about this sort of thing than I, is Recchia a "real prospect" or a "AAAA/Filler guy"?

More than likely just a filler guy, but he has yet to fail at the levels he should not be failing, so that's good. AA has slowed him down a little as expected, but he is finally facing more age-appropriate players. He will likely just fall in to the Leesman/Axelrod/Carroll type role which provides value at the end of the rotation when needed, but he's no one we have penciled in to a future rotation, I can promise you that.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 05:33 PM)
I've heard Ravelo called decently athletic. Could he not handle the corner OF?

won't it be better to let him fully develop esp with his hitting and let see what pos he can hangle

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 01:12 AM)
More than likely just a filler guy, but he has yet to fail at the levels he should not be failing, so that's good. AA has slowed him down a little as expected, but he is finally facing more age-appropriate players. He will likely just fall in to the Leesman/Axelrod/Carroll type role which provides value at the end of the rotation when needed, but he's no one we have penciled in to a future rotation, I can promise you that.

Agree he most likely isn't anything, but disagree with some other things here. He was brought in as a similar type to Axelrod (flopped from SD), Carroll (from CIN) or Leesman (career minor leaguer), but he's proven to be more than that. No, I wouldn't pencil him into a future rotation either, but I do think he's can be a successful major leaguer as a back end starter or a middle reliever. His stuff is, IMO, at a level above the other guys you mentioned.