Cardinals looking for SP & 2B

GGajewski18

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 3m

Cardinals are inquiring with teams about starting pitching, source says. They have Wacha, Garcia, Kelly on DL. @FOXSports1

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 3m

Cardinals also in the market for a hitter. They have not had much production at second base this year.

Maybe Danks and Beckham could intrigue them?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 07:58 PM)
It'd be awesome if they got the Cards to give up something of value for Danks/Noesi + Beckham

Noesi? Why would they give up anything of value for him? Danks has more value even with the big contract. Noesi is terrible IMHO.

Bob

What's wrong with Wong now?

As far as 2B, Mark Ellis is a fine defender but was hitting below .200 as of a couple of days ago. He was decent for the Dodgers last year.

So the question (and Ellis is a notch above Beckham defensively and used to NL play) is does trading for Gordon Beckham give you a decidedly better player going forward than Mark Ellis or Wong?

I don't think so, especially when you figure in Beckham having to adjust to a new league/NLCD.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 03:35 PM)
I'd love to get something out of Noesi.

Now it's my turn. Why would a contender want him?

Actually, though, I think we may be able to turn him around because he does deliver a lot of Ks. But that would be an unwise effort for a contender.

Mark Ellis has had 1 year in the last 4 with an OPS over .700 and that was a .708. Kolten Wong has a .586 OPS. That's .586 for this elite talent.

Beckham is 14th in the majors in OPS among second baseman. Yes, I know, he's the worst in the league and has no value.

What Beckham is is average.

I don't quarrel that we won't get a whole lot for most of these guys, which is why I prefer to peddle the ones over 30.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 10:50 PM)
Now it's my turn. Why would a contender want him?

Actually, though, I think we may be able to turn him around because he does deliver a lot of Ks. But that would be an unwise effort for a contender.

Mark Ellis has had 1 year in the last 4 with an OPS over .700 and that was a .708. Kolten Wong has a .586 OPS. That's .586 for this elite talent.

Beckham is 14th in the majors in OPS among second baseman. Yes, I know, he's the worst in the league and has no value.

What Beckham is is average.

I don't quarrel that we won't get a whole lot for most of these guys, which is why I prefer to peddle the ones over 30.

Ellis has always been know more for his defensive ability. Beckham's been sitting in the 600's OPS every season from 2009 until this season, this year he's already back down to the low 700's again and he would have to adjust to a completely different league.

Unless the Cardinals get really desperate in terms of their chances of making the playoffs, you don't/can't see them overpaying for Beckham.

They had numerous opportunities to upgrade last year and didn't, preferring to keep their prospects like Wong, Taveras and Carlos Martinez, to name a few.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 11:49 PM)
I'd drive Beckham to the airport if the Cardinals were willing to give the Sox a bag of balls for him.

Haha c'mon man, you know you're just flinging piles of s*** at the wall and watching it drip down here...like any sane man would do.

I hope everyone 4th was a safe one.

now with ref to stl needing a 2b, GB would be a nice pickup for them, b/c he does hit maybe not in the

high 270+ range, has hr power and plays good d. I mention several wks ago of stl and what would be a

nice haul. they have a very good prospect ready to play and not a position for him. stl can offer a variety

of of'er in return.

adding dank's may sweeten the return. however trading Noesi is not even in the discussion, do anyone really

expect stl to take Noesi?

also, I wonder if the nl / al hitting theory still the same.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 12:44 AM)
Ellis has always been know more for his defensive ability. Beckham's been sitting in the 600's OPS every season from 2009 until this season, this year he's already back down to the low 700's again and he would have to adjust to a completely different league.

Unless the Cardinals get really desperate in terms of their chances of making the playoffs, you don't/can't see them overpaying for Beckham.

They had numerous opportunities to upgrade last year and didn't, preferring to keep their prospects like Wong, Taveras and Carlos Martinez, to name a few.

Beckham's also 27 and has not only improved this year, but he improved the 2nd half of last year.

He's average. I don't expect anyone to overpay for him. Of course I don't expect anyone to overpay for Sox players - when's the last time we were overpaid on paper? I just don't want to see the return of giveaway day.

Re the Cardinals, I would expect them to try to move Allen Craig. Maybe not now, but soon. of course, his numbers have declined each of the last 4 seasons and this season they are downright bad. His contract is soon to become an albatross.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 06:47 PM)
Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 7m

Sources: White Sox are willing to move Gordon Beckham in the right deal now, but Jose Quintana remains unavailable. @FOXSports1

Good to hear on both fronts. If this team is realistically targeting 2015 or 2016 to compete, then a rotation built around Sale, Quintana, & Rodon is a must. Might as well move Beckham now so that Semien, Sanchez, or Johnson can get a couple of months of development at the major league level.