Samardzija/Hammel Traded to A's

Heads22

What I meant was when half their "real" prospects start failing like Olt and Lake.

There are already major question marks around Almora (power/promoted too quickly), Baez (fielding/contact) and Soler (health).

Johnson and Edwards have been out.

The prospects doing really well are Bryant (high K numbers still, you have the feeling he might be too overconfident and get exposed), Alcantara, Schwarber and the 19 year old Korean pitcher (think he's at Daytona). Vizcaino and some of the AAA starters look good on paper, but that doesn't always translate (see Jamie Carroll).

Even Russell has some health concerns now with the hamstring problem/s.

BTW, Cubs have not lost four in a row.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alcantra's the Cub prospect that's hitting really well (aside from Bryant) and has improved in AAA. Baez has an OBP barely above .300 in AAA and is striking out 1/3 of the time. But far be it from me to suggest he may not be "can't miss". Schwarber was widely considered a reach, but he's mashing A ball so add another future all star to the list I guess.

Cubs used to do really well in trades for guys just coming into their prime: they got Derrick Lee, Aramis Ramirez and Garza for basically nothing. Worked pretty well for them.

Schwarber was an advanced college hitter who is beating the snot out of 2nd year high schoolers and journeyman pitchers. He should be expected to hit A-ball pitching. For comparison's sake, Mike Zunino hit .373/474/.736/1.210 in A ball and he's been a very mediocre hitter in the majors thus far.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 01:16 PM)
Schwarber was an advanced college hitter who is beating the snot out of 2nd year high schoolers and journeyman pitchers. He should be expected to hit A-ball pitching. For comparison's sake, Mike Zunino hit .373/474/.736/1.210 in A ball and he's been a very mediocre hitter in the majors thus far.

Thank you, not sure where all this Schwarber hype is coming from, but it's gotten ridiculous. Let's see how the dude does in AA before we include him amongst the elite Cubs prospects.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 03:40 PM)
Thank you, not sure where all this Schwarber hype is coming from, but it's gotten ridiculous. Let's see how the dude does in AA before we include him amongst the elite Cubs prospects.

When you're the 4th pick in the draft you better expect some hype.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 01:16 PM)

How many catchers in baseball have 10+ homers this year? Especially considering his home park for 81 games.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 04:01 PM)
How many catchers in baseball have 10+ homers this year? Especially considering his home park for 81 games.

Among catchers with 150 PAs or more, Zunino's wRC+ of 90 is ranked 21st in baseball. I don't care how many home runs he has, I care about how good he is offensively.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, nor that he can't improve, nor that I prefer anyone on the Sox to him, nor that Schwarber will or will not face the same type of success, but just focusing on home runs when he has a BB rate of 3.9%, a K rate of 33.2%, and overall terrible numbers otherwise doesn't make his home run total worthwhile or good - it makes me, instead, think of JP Arencibia.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 02:38 PM)
When you're the 4th pick in the draft you better expect some hype.

And all experts considered it a huge reach? No one should be surprised that the most advanced hitting prospect in the draft is dominating low A ball. That should have been the expectation. However, until he shows he can succeed against against AA pitching AND can stick at catcher (incredibly unlikely), he's just another 1st rounder and should not be mentioned in the same sentence with guys like Bryant, Russell, & Baez when talking about the strength of the Cubs system.