Return for Dunn

ChiSoxJon

Whether we're contending or sinking at the bottom of the AL Central I think we can all agree Dunn should be moved. What can be our return from any teams that may be interested. Throw some team and prospect names around. I say we can get at most a B level prospect and low level pitching prospect. Share

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Link/Michael Dubee as the centerpiece with Travis Hinton/the monster prospect we got out of Thome as the second.

I'd rather acquire a Brandon Hynick but I'm not sure another club would be willing to go that far.

Also we're going to eat the whole thing, just as some of us here knew all along.

The most important thing though is that he will be gone. If sTank is still here he can take the DH PAs and continue to try to prove himself with the bat and at least not butcher so much in the field. Hopefully we'll have someone to stick in the OF that will be worth playing (which we would acquire elsewhere) but my guess is no.

This team blows.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 02:20 PM)
With attendance being awful this year, and the team losing money last year, I'd bet we look to dump the full salary, and take back a lesser prospect.

the point is, is a team willing to get Dunn for his power esp when playoff time comes around?

and seriously, what can we really expect for the rtn?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
With attendance being awful this year, and the team losing money last year, I'd bet we look to dump the full salary, and take back a lesser prospect.

If it weren't for Sale and Abreu this year our attendance would actually be negative. Empty chairs would sprout legs and walk into the stadium on their own, placing themselves wherever they see fit, including on the OF grass. Fielders would be falling/tripping/DeAzaing all over the place as these rogue empty chairs streamed their way onto the field.

Also any prospect for Dunn is a lesser prospect. So much lesser that he's not even a prospect. Rubbing my crystal balls it says that whoever we get out of Dunn - after we eat the whole thing - will rank no higher than 15 on even the most optimistic Sox prospect lists. If the acquiring team takes on $1-2M then it's not even a top-30 guy.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
I like the idea of sending him to the rich Yanks for salary relief and catching prospect Peter O'Brien, decent average 25 HRs this year, was a top college player, Yanks have McCann, we have Flowers

maybe I misunderstood your comment, are you saying sox send Dunn to the yanks?

they have C. Beltran with 9 hrs and the same avg.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)
Any contender that wants Dunn will not be a contender much longer after acquiring him. He'll be a Sox the remainder of the season IMO.

As someone else said, it's 99.9999% certain.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 07:59 PM)
Since his hit tool is deteriorating, and he has been hitting like hot garbage, if we could trade him for a bag of balls, there would be a lot of volunteers willing to drive him to the airport.

If he's actually injured, since we happen to be carrying an extra DH, and there's really no reason to put him in the lineup if his hitting tool is impaired by injury, it would seem logical to, I dunno, give him a couple days off? Or maybe a DL trip?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 06:59 PM)
Since his hit tool is deteriorating, and he has been hitting like hot garbage, if we could trade him for a bag of balls, there would be a lot of volunteers willing to drive him to the airport.

Ha. Well done.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)
Any contender that wants Dunn will not be a contender much longer after acquiring him. He'll be a Sox the remainder of the season IMO.

This comment makes me want to go all taylorStSox on you but I like reading the site too much.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)
This comment makes me want to go all taylorStSox on you but I like reading the site too much.

funny :D

seriously does anyone really think we can trade dunn for anybody viable?

I say let him stay, and leave when his contract is up. I think he has done all he can do esp as a

clubhouse presence.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)
funny :D

seriously does anyone really think we can trade dunn for anybody viable?

I say let him stay, and leave when his contract is up. I think he has done all he can do esp as a

clubhouse presence.

Yes. Dunn will get you a decent prospect in return if you eat the contract. I'm guessing the Sox will deal him for for two high upside types in A ball that are in the teens of someone's system and take the salary relief though. Dunn can help a playoff contender. Not sure why people think he can't.

My guess is Dunn gets traded to an NL team looking for LH pinch hitter. He still has an OPS over .800 vs RHP so that could be valuable to some team looking for some help against RHP.

I wouldn't hate seeing him stay just because there's no one that needs his playing time so keeping him isn't really a detriment to the team.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)
Yes. Dunn will get you a decent prospect in return if you eat the contract. I'm guessing the Sox will deal him for for two high upside types in A ball that are in the teens of someone's system and take the salary relief though. Dunn can help a playoff contender. Not sure why people think he can't.

salary cost, there are some team that invested all they can to make this push. outside hitting for power,

I just wasn't too sure who else would see him helping.

thanks.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)

We know they aren't going to eat the contract. What does he make the second half of his final season anyway? 10 million? No team is going to pay that for Mr. Whiff. He's not the kind of guy a team needs. If a team is a contender by now, they probably have somebody way better than Dunn.

We know they aren't going to eat the contract. What does he make the second half of his final season anyway? 10 million? No team is going to pay that for Mr. Whiff. He's not the kind of guy a team needs. If a team is a contender by now, they probably have somebody way better than Dunn.

Yeah, his salary is $15M, the season is half over, so $15M divided by 2 = $10M.

/gregmath

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 11:18 AM)
My guess is Dunn gets traded to an NL team looking for LH pinch hitter. He still has an OPS over .800 vs RHP so that could be valuable to some team looking for some help against RHP.

I wouldn't hate seeing him stay just because there's no one that needs his playing time so keeping him isn't really a detriment to the team.

Seattle or the Yankees would seem the best fit for Dunn. Yankees just DFA'd Soriano.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 01:59 PM)

He's still on base at like a .360 clip. Offers LH power. You don't care about this because you only remember him striking out. Mr. Whiff is clever though. Instead of thinking about clever nicknames, do some research and some simple math and find out the guys on the Sox that have committed more outs than Dunn has this year. But hey whatever fits the narrative.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 07:13 PM)
He's still on base at like a .360 clip. Offers LH power. You don't care about this because you only remember him striking out.

Mr. Whiff is clever though. Instead of thinking about clever nicknames, do some research and some simple math and

find out the guys on the Sox that have committed more outs than Dunn has this year. But hey whatever fits the narrative.

very good, oh btw I am not getting involve to defend either one, I am just saying you asked a great

question and I came up with the wrong assumption. I look it up and it is flowers..... wow their stats

are almost similar across the board.

I now know something new.

thanks