Yanks want Danks?

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 11:59 PM)
16 million could be used in other places, his ability does not match the contract. Payroll with Danks and arbitration estimate for players is 78 million way more than the 15.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2014-payroll-

John Danks right now could contribute to a contending team. He's not contributing to a contending team but he's drawing a salary as though he is.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 06:59 AM)
The reality is that left-handed people are amazingly awesome and all you right-handed people are just jealous that you aren't.

If you were so awesome you would be a catcher, but lefties are too scurred. You won't catch, you won't play 3B or SS or 2B.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 06:59 AM)
The reality is that left-handed people are amazingly awesome and all you right-handed people are just jealous that you aren't.

whatevs. you people of the left handed variety cant play the left side of the field, so there. YOU CANT EVEN PLAY YOUR OWN SIDE

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 07:06 AM)
This is very true...hoping my son is left-handed. Teach him a knuckleball and he'll have a 50/50 shot to make the majors.

Has there ever been a good left handed knuckleballer? For some reason, all of them that come to mind were righties.

If you were so awesome you would be a catcher, but lefties are too scurred. You won't catch, you won't play 3B or SS or 2B.

Scared has nothing to do with it. Lefties don't waste their time playing wage grade positions. The big money is in P and 1B.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)
Has there ever been a good left handed knuckleballer? For some reason, all of them that come to mind were righties.

Nope. The soft tossing LHP can get by in the majors for being a soft tossing LHP. If you are a soft tossing RHP, well adding the knuckled isn't a bad idea.

For those of you that know, is Peter O'Brien an actual prospect? He's a Yankee catcher that has 30 homers in the minors. Is he one of these guys that will be a 1B or DH? I just see the numbers but never really see him mentioned as an actual prospect.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 07:06 AM)
This is very true...hoping my son is left-handed. Teach him a knuckleball and he'll have a 50/50 shot to make the majors.

I have actually been thinking of this for a while. My son is 2 1/2 and I am pretty sure he is right handed.. but if I have him throw left handed would he be able to become good at throwing left handed or is that a bad idea and just have him throw with the hand that he naturally wants to throw with. I understand if you do something long enough you can become good at it, what I don't know is how that relates to handedness. Is there any data out there about this?

QUOTE (TRU @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 09:38 AM)
I have actually been thinking of this for a while. My son is 2 1/2 and I am pretty sure he is right handed.. but if I have him throw left handed would he be able to become good at throwing left handed or is that a bad idea and just have him throw with the hand that he naturally wants to throw with. I understand if you do something long enough you can become good at it, what I don't know is how that relates to handedness. Is there any data out there about this?

Pretty sure the story with Billy Wagner was that he was a righty in HS and broke his arm, so he taught himself to throw left handed by just throwing over and over at a target until he felt comfortable

Wikipedia agrees with my version of events

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Wagner

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 05:38 AM)
If the Yankees show interest, that's exactly what you ask for. Filling the catching void should be our #1 priority and few teams have multiple high-end prospects. The Yankees are a perfect match for us, just depends how desperate they are for SP and if they rely heavily on advanced metrics when evaluating Danks.

One thing that could go against them going for Danks is that they clearly leaned on Brandon McCarthy's peripherals before making that deal.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 09:43 AM)
Pretty sure the story with Billy Wagner was that he was a righty in HS and broke his arm, so he taught himself to throw left handed by just throwing over and over at a target until he felt comfortable

Wikipedia agrees with my version of events

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Wagner

Are you sure you didn't just go on wikipedia and add that so you looked like a genius??

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 06:25 AM)
Why is it OK to have 4 or 5 RHP in a rotation, but not LHP? Just get 5 good pitchers. Who cares what hand they throw with?

Stone was saying something about it being a little less tough for hitters to hit them after facing a lefty atleast 3 nights in a row

Stone was saying something about it being a little less tough for hitters to hit them after facing a lefty atleast 3 nights in a row

Maybe in general that's true, but it doesn't seem like facing Sale and facing Danks are all that similar.

Would the White Sox really much back beyond salary relief for Danks? He's pitched well after a rough start, but that's a still a large contract for a guy who metrically hasn't been that great. I think getting back any meaningful prospects would be unexpected, at least to me.

QUOTE (TRU @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 09:51 AM)
Are you sure you didn't just go on wikipedia and add that so you looked like a genius??

I will neither confirm nor deny your assertion.

Really though, i remembered that from a all star game he was in. They were talking about his odd delivery and that came up

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 8m

The #Yankees have acquired pitcher Jeff Francis from the #athletics in a trade, source says.

I hope I have to eat these words, but I don't see Danks going to the Yankees. They are acquiring cheap, stop-gap type starters. I don't think they will want to give up prospects/inherit Danks salary.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 12:48 PM)
Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 8m

The #Yankees have acquired pitcher Jeff Francis from the #athletics in a trade, source says.

I hope I have to eat these words, but I don't see Danks going to the Yankees. They are acquiring cheap, stop-gap type starters. I don't think they will want to give up prospects/inherit Danks salary.

Then they can accept not making the playoffs for 3 straight years then.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 01:14 PM)
maybe 4 if CC and Tanaka aren't 100% all of next year which seems very plausible at this point.

Yankees fans would call for Cashman's head then. Spending all that cash and they could be looking at a 4th place finish in the division.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
One thing that could go against them going for Danks is that they clearly leaned on Brandon McCarthy's peripherals before making that deal.

I've read that too, but they must have gone real deep, because McCarthy has had two years in his entire career in which his WHIP yells out "real good" (and one of those years was his first year). Recently, his WHIPs have been like Danks' recent WHIPs. His K rate is better, so that may be it. But Danks' K rate is pretty in line with his mediocre WHIP.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 01:16 PM)
I've read that too, but they must have gone real deep, because McCarthy has had two years in his entire career in which his WHIP yells out "real good" (and one of those years was his first year). Recently, his WHIPs have been like Danks' recent WHIPs. His K rate is better, so that may be it. But Danks' K rate is pretty in line with his mediocre WHIP.

WHIP isn't the best metric. They gambled on stuff like FIP, xFIP and SIERA. Same with the guy they just got from Oakland, way better peripherals than ERA.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 01:25 PM)
WHIP isn't the best metric. They gambled on stuff like FIP, xFIP and SIERA. Same with the guy they just got from Oakland, way better peripherals than ERA.

But at some point reality should match peripherals if the peripherals are valid. 10 years is getting to be a good sample size.