Yanks want Danks?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 01:02 PM)
But at some point reality should match peripherals if the peripherals are valid. 10 years is getting to be a good sample size.

McCarthy has a career 4.19 ERA with a 4.07 FIP, 4.09 xFIP and 4.18 SIERA.

There's more of a split with Francis at a 4.95 ERA with a 4.38 FIP, 4.33 xFIP and 4.39 SIERA but it's not so dramatic a split that you can say he's not just at the outside range of bad luck rather than there being a genuine problem that means he will never pitch to his peripherals.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)
McCarthy has a career 4.19 ERA with a 4.07 FIP, 4.09 xFIP and 4.18 SIERA.

There's more of a split with Francis at a 4.95 ERA with a 4.38 FIP, 4.33 xFIP and 4.39 SIERA but it's not so dramatic a split that you can say he's not just at the outside range of bad luck rather than there being a genuine problem that means he will never pitch to his peripherals.

Francis has pitched most of his career in Colorado...so that's one reason for the higher ERA.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 12:25 PM)
WHIP isn't the best metric. They gambled on stuff like FIP, xFIP and SIERA. Same with the guy they just got from Oakland, way better peripherals than ERA.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 01:02 PM)
But at some point reality should match peripherals if the peripherals are valid. 10 years is getting to be a good sample size.

Dave Cameron spent some time on the last podcast explaining that soft-tossers, specifically referencing McCarthy and the changes he's made this year, can end up underpeforming their FIP by choosing to stay in the zone to increase strikeouts and reduce walks. The cost of throwing strikes to acheive those is of course that mistakes are hit harder -- and when you throw 88, you're going to get nailed more than guys that sit in the mid-90's.

QUOTE (TRU @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 10:38 AM)
I have actually been thinking of this for a while. My son is 2 1/2 and I am pretty sure he is right handed.. but if I have him throw left handed would he be able to become good at throwing left handed or is that a bad idea and just have him throw with the hand that he naturally wants to throw with. I understand if you do something long enough you can become good at it, what I don't know is how that relates to handedness. Is there any data out there about this?

my uncle was a natural right hander. his dad forced him to be left handed and he ended up playing 3 full seasons and parts of 2 others in the majors. Does everything with his right hand except when it comes to throwing a baseball. I'm pretty sure my uncle hates his dad though. Probably should just let your son play naturally and not live through him.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)
Then they can accept not making the playoffs for 3 straight years then.

its the smart decision though by the Yankees. What is the best case scenario, they squeak into the playoffs with about 84 wins and gets smoked by the A's or Tigers in 4 games?

NY is an old team that isnt built to win much more in the next few years and they have a crap farm system. Why would they give up some of their few good prospects for a pitcher like Danks who is owed that much money? If

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 07:18 AM)
Heath was scratched "in case the White Sox need him". Wonder if something is close.

Ugh, I won't be watching that start. Heath has proven he doesn't belong in the big leagues. Pretty sad this is the best we can do in terms of call-ups. And why wouldn't we just give Surkamp the start?

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)
Noesi and Carroll have been a roller coaster ride so Heath might be yet another pitcher thrown into the fire. May god have mercy.

I don't even know how to feel about it. It seems like Heath has been called up 10 times and pitched 0 times.

trading either DV or Beckham in a single trade may not happen this yr. I think that the

only way to trade them is to add to the package by including Danks. no matter what the stats

show or taking into acct his recovery from surgery or his salary, Dank will most definitely help

any team.

I see him getting to be like his old self.

trading either DV or Beckham in a single trade may not happen this yr. I think that the

only way to trade them is to add to the package by including Danks. no matter what the stats

show or taking into acct his recovery from surgery or his salary, Dank will most definitely help

any team.

I see him getting to be like his old self.

Is he going to suddenly learn how to pitch with his right arm? Because that's what he'll need to do to get his old velocity back.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 09:53 AM)
I don't even know how to feel about it. It seems like Heath has been called up 10 times and pitched 0 times.

I hear ya. Probably best not to think too long and hard on it, don't want it to interfere with me puckering my liver on a warm humid afternoon. That would be a buzz kill for sure.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 05:39 PM)
Rienzo sent to Charlotte. Guess Heath is coming up as a fresh bullpen arm? Seems unnecessary with 4 off days after tomorrow's game.

With the way Rienzi has pitched, I'd guess the Sox are just trying someone new... again.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 05:39 PM)
Rienzo sent to Charlotte. Guess Heath is coming up as a fresh bullpen arm? Seems unnecessary with 4 off days after tomorrow's game.

They said they are calling up a position player because Eaton and now Alexei may be unavailable