Yanks want Danks?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 11:04 PM)
I will be as clear as possible and my inbox is full so I can't reply privately.

There is a TON of room on the payroll. When this team starts to build we will be buyers, and heavy buyers at that. I firmly believe one arm in the rotation and at least one pen arm will be bought when we have to contend. I know for a fact they will open up the wallet when it's time.

I'm not surprised. Jerry has shown plenty of times in the past that he's not afraid to open his wallet. Patience Sox fans.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 10:51 PM)
I'm not surprised. Jerry has shown plenty of times in the past that he's not afraid to open his wallet. Patience Sox fans.

........Signing Dunn, Rios, and Peavy.

We didn't exactly get a haul for Vazquez. Flowers was an extremely low round pick of a couple of years prior who enticed Williams with a great year in High A and in the AFL. A couple of other minor prospects were thrown in. Braves also had a young McCann and Salty in their system; so they were deep like the Yankees appear to be. Some due diligence is warranted: with 3/4 catchers in their system, why did they sign McCann?

taking on a contract or paying a fa is one thing, it is another for poor scouting and decision making

by the team top brass.

then again one could argue that this top brass got us a world series.

dams if you don't damn if you do.

btw, a question, has anyone seen a printed rumor of the yanks scouting the sox?

it is obvious that they would.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 07:08 AM)
I think you mean taking on Rios' salary/contract obligations.

Albert Belle.

Manny Ramirez for $4 million/one month, haha.

The offer to Tanaka.

Thank you.

Abreu is the most recent spending and in fact it was jerry that pushed the offer higher.

Jerry has also shown he's willing to spend money extending players as well.

The jerry is cheap comments really do get old.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)
One of the main guys in the Danks for McCarthy deal is going to Yanks. McCarthy traded for Nuno.

There you go. Even though the Yankees would SEEM to need a left-hander with the subtraction of CC Sabathia from the equation, they'd still prefer to take a smaller risk of $5 million on McCarthy vs. roughly $20 million for Danks in salary.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
Thank you.

Abreu is the most recent spending and in fact it was jerry that pushed the offer higher.

Jerry has also shown he's willing to spend money extending players as well.

The jerry is cheap comments really do get old.

Generous contract extensions to Magglio Ordonez, Paul Konerko, Jose Contreras, Mark Buehrle (but not twice), Jermaine Dye, AJ, etc.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)
There you go. Even though the Yankees would SEEM to need a left-hander with the subtraction of CC Sabathia from the equation, they'd still prefer to take a smaller risk of $5 million on McCarthy vs. roughly $20 million for Danks in salary.

Or maybe there wasn't even talks to begin with....Or the Sox were asking for "too much" because they don't really need to deal him.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 09:39 AM)
Or maybe there wasn't even talks to begin with....Or the Sox were asking for "too much" because they don't really need to deal him.

On the other hand, what does holding onto Danks accomplish?

We're QUITE unlikely to be competing for the division next year if we trade Ramirez...the other alternative is to spend a ton of money on catching, bullpen, the back-end of the rotation, at least one outfield position and DH.

Even if that "ton" of money was there to spend, there aren't enough attract FA targets (especially at catcher) to make chasing after a select group of players worthwhile from a cost-benefit perspective in terms of intelligent resource allocation.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 10:37 AM)
Generous contract extensions to Magglio Ordonez, Paul Konerko, Jose Contreras, Mark Buehrle (but not twice), Jermaine Dye, AJ, etc.

Yes sir, the Sox went real crazy when they signed Navarro. Oops.lol.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
On the other hand, what does holding onto Danks accomplish?

We're QUITE unlikely to be competing for the division next year if we trade Ramirez...the other alternative is to spend a ton of money on catching, bullpen, the back-end of the rotation, at least one outfield position and DH.

Even if that "ton" of money was there to spend, there aren't enough attract FA targets (especially at catcher) to make chasing after a select group of players worthwhile from a cost-benefit perspective in terms of intelligent resource allocation.

Again, like Rock and others have said countless times....The Sox don't need to cut payroll....At all.

If they traded Danks theyd have 28 million on the books for next year. With him they're around 45.

As you say there aren't a ton of worthwhile FAs out there so why get the payroll down to 28 mill?

Peripherals be damned, Danks has been a great pitcher for us this year and his salary isn't going to prevent them from going after yet another starter AND a bat or 2.....If those signings work out and Rodon does end up getting fast tracked, it's very possible they could compete next year.

At the very least keeping Danks another year makes him more valuable at next years deadline when he becomes cheaper.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)

unless, if it is true the sox/yanks rumor, the rtn for dank was high. plus dank has another yr left on his

salary.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)

Depends on what we get for him and how we spend. He's at peak value now, 32 years old, and if we are going to trade him, now is absolutely the time.

The Sox are a little better than mid pack in runs scored (above average in SLG, below average in OBP, as always), getting subpar production from C, LF and RF.

Replacing Alexei for a SS who can at least equal his defense, plus improvement in the corner outfield spots and on the mound, with more depth in the farm, is a big 1 year improvement for this organization.

I absolutely would have Alexei front and center on the trading block and hope we do.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 03:54 PM)
Again, like Rock and others have said countless times....The Sox don't need to cut payroll....At all.

If they traded Danks theyd have 28 million on the books for next year. With him they're around 45.

As you say there aren't a ton of worthwhile FAs out there so why get the payroll down to 28 mill?

Peripherals be damned, Danks has been a great pitcher for us this year and his salary isn't going to prevent them from going after yet another starter AND a bat or 2.....If those signings work out and Rodon does end up getting fast tracked, it's very possible they could compete next year.

At the very least keeping Danks another year makes him more valuable at next years deadline when he becomes cheaper.

2 things to think about, 1. with the "A's" getting 2 pitchers for the stretch run, teams may feel compel to do the same.

2. the sox may will need a good rotation to help getting the momentum going for the sox fans and all.

unless teams offer a crap load to entice the trade, who cares. we keep him. plus JR is not telling the brass to sell.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 04:20 PM)
Depends on what we get for him and how we spend. He's at peak value now, 32 years old, and if we are going to trade him, now is absolutely the time.

The Sox are a little better than mid pack in runs scored (above average in SLG, below average in OBP, as always), getting subpar production from C, LF and RF.

Replacing Alexei for a SS who can at least equal his defense, plus improvement in the corner outfield spots and on the mound, with more depth in the farm, is a big 1 year improvement for this organization.

I absolutely would have Alexei front and center on the trading block and hope we do.

and all this from a team that all knows is rebuilding.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 11:23 AM)
2 things to think about, 1. with the "A's" getting 2 pitchers for the stretch run, teams may feel compel to do the same.

2. the sox may will need a good rotation to help getting the momentum going for the sox fans and all.

unless teams offer a crap load to entice the trade, who cares. we keep him. plus JR is not telling the brass to sell.

If all goes as planned the rotation could be very good next year....I really wanna see Sale-Q-RH FA-Danks-Noesi and then eventually Sale-Q-RH FA-Danks-Rodon. That's a playoff caliber rotation right there.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 04:34 PM)
If all goes as planned the rotation could be very good next year....I really wanna see Sale-Q-RH FA-Danks-Noesi and then eventually Sale-Q-RH FA-Danks-Rodon. That's a playoff caliber rotation right there.

and again JR is loyal and will sign dank to an extension, imho. with that pitching, we address some minor holes

in the lineup / positional players, the rebuild can be a really short one. I still feel comfortable with a fa starting

pitcher and rp. I am sorry but as of right now, I still am uncertain of RH.

again let me add, we still haven't seen any movement from tor nor sea with ref to trades. ummmm

Edited by LDF

Danks has a contract through 2016 I believe. He's a back end starter on a contender. If someone offers us value, then we have to move him.

I see us as more of a 2016 contender than 2015 (where we could be a 80-85 win team). The Front Office also wants to set us up for consistent contention, which means that depth and a strong farm are parts of the equation as well.

Moving Danks, Alexei, et al, if good offers emerge, will bring more assets onto this team that we'll need when we're ready to contend in a year or 2. Their losses can be replaced. The pitching needs a ton more depth, especially as the farm is particularly empty right now.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 11:23 AM)
For Danka, I would want back Gary Sanchez and maybe three of the INTL guys that they just signed, specifically Juan De Leon, Jonathan Amundary and Dermis Garcia and cash considerations.

lol you guys