Yanks want Danks?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 04:53 PM)
Danks has a contract through 2016 I believe. He's a back end starter on a contender. If someone offers us value, then we have to move him.

I see us as more of a 2016 contender than 2015 (where we could be a 80-85 win team). The Front Office also wants to set us up for consistent contention, which means that depth and a strong farm are parts of the equation as well.

Moving Danks, Alexei, et al, if good offers emerge, will bring more assets onto this team that we'll need when we're ready to contend in a year or 2. Their losses can be replaced. The pitching needs a ton more depth, especially as the farm is particularly empty right now.

this yr we had a very good draft esp if Rodon signs, with the way this yr is playing out, we may have a top 10

next yr..... another yr of selective signing esp from international scene. we may be set. if we make trades of any

kind, the prospects we get will help.

I agree however if all goes well I see a running at the end of next season maybe a wildcard.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)
Who's better than Danks on the potentially-available list now that Mccarthy, Smardjia, and Hammell are gone (besides Price)?

Hamels, IF you think he's actually available, and Lee, IF you think someone will gamble on his health.

Yeah, for some reason I was thinking Danks was off the books at the end of 2015.

It's actually 2016. Still see more upside to trading him now, but it all depends on whether Cooper et al think he can retain his recent success instead of erratically bouncing around in the 4.5-5.25 ERA range for the next 2 1/2 seasons. If he's going to be a 4/5 type of starter, then you obviously are better off dumping the salary. As has been noted over and over again, the peripherals don't necessarily back up the quality starts and ERA numbers the last 6 weeks.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 10:10 PM)
Yeah, for some reason I was thinking Danks was off the books at the end of 2015.

It's actually 2016. Still see more upside to trading him now, but it all depends on whether Cooper et al think he can retain his recent success instead of erratically bouncing around in the 4.5-5.25 ERA range for the next 2 1/2 seasons. If he's going to be a 4/5 type of starter, then you obviously are better off dumping the salary. As has been noted over and over again, the peripherals don't necessarily back up the quality starts and ERA numbers the last 6 weeks.

Caulfield, you are a very good poster, however advocating dumping salary this yr is not needed. saving salary money

is not needed. remember the commish still keeps an eye on teams doing just this. making trades to get better prospects

for the team is the only way I will make anymore trades this yr.

I'd keep Danks.

1. You don't sell low.

2. The Sox wouldn't get much for him and they don't have anyone in the minors to replace him.

3. You aren't going to get much with the money you save and the Sox don't need the money.

4. He's progressively gotten better.

I don't claim to be the master of the advanced stats, but:

Since May 24th: 2.65 ERA/4.29 FIP/4.52 xFIP/4.42 SIERA and a .241 BABIP (career average is .287, btw)

That ERA is misleading. I say sell while he has value.

Edited by woods of ypres

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 08:06 PM)

Since May 24th: 2.65 ERA/4.29 FIP/4.52 xFIP/4.42 SIERA and a .241 BABIP (career average is .287, btw)

if the sox do not get Rodon, I think keeping Dank is a foregone conclusion.

Yes. His misleading ERA is fooling most of the posters here on soxtalk. Maybe RH can fool one of his fellow GMs into taking on the entire godawful contract?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 04:19 PM)
I do not think those two events are connected in any way.

I agree; Rodon is too far down the road to let him signing impact a decision on Danks. I don't think you plan 2 years out on a guy that hasn't yet thrown a pitch. I'm sure some will say, he'll be starting next year, however, I don't think that is all that realistic of expectations.

If the Sox get a good spect or two then you almost have to do it. You don't want to straight dump the guy but if you get *some* quality in addition to the relief of the contractual uncertainty then you really can't pass it up IMO.

Do the Yanks still need a 2B? If so we can do something with Beckham there too.

Also I am guessing that some of/a lot of CC's cash is going to be available due to whatever policy the Yanks have taken out. I don't think you hand out that kind of contract without protecting yourself somewhat.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 07:01 AM)
2-3 teams looking at Danks with Yankees showing the most interest. Gotta be looking at their catching, right?

I don't know what their system looks like, but in theory we need all of the following:

-RHSP (at least 1)

-big lefty power bat

-DH? if we keep Tank maybe not, but he still has to turn it around

-SS after Alexei

-an actual OF who can play the OF

-starting C

-LHRP at least 1

-quality MR and SU options

So if you get like a good looking A- RHSP prospect or SS for example along with a good looking LHRP who is close to ready along with full salary relief then that should be something we'd have to think about pulling the trigger on.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 07:46 AM)
I don't know what their system looks like, but in theory we need all of the following:

-RHSP (at least 1)

-big lefty power bat

-SS after Alexei

-starting C

-LHRP at least 1

So if you get like a good looking A- RHSP prospect or SS for example along with a good looking LHRP who is close to ready along with full salary relief then that should be something we'd have to think about pulling the trigger on.

you're being way too ambitious when you consider his diminished velocity, high walks/lower K's and home runs allowed totals....not to mention his contract, the most important factor for at least 75% of playoff-contending teams

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 07:01 AM)
2-3 teams looking at Danks with Yankees showing the most interest. Gotta be looking at their catching, right?

I think with Tanaka now on the 15 day DL, the yankees will make another trade.

I would be looking at Sanchez or Murphy to start with as well as LHP Manny Banuelos & RHP Rafael De Paula as well as left handed 1B Gregory Bird and right handed corner outfielder Aaron Judge. Those are the prospects in the yankees system that excite me. Murphy appears to be big league ready and Sanchez isn't far off and people are more optimistic he can stay behind the dish and he is on a tear right now at AA .417/.462/.500 - .962 in July.

Happy the White Sox weren't successful in signing Tanaka...as a TJ flameout would be the last thing our franchise could deal with on a contract that large.

The thing with Tanaka is that his success isn't based on velocity as much as deception and movement. I would be more concerned with that being affected by TJ/elbow issues than I would someone like Strasburg, who can still be effective in the mid instead of high 90's.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 08:46 AM)

-RHSP (at least 1)

-big lefty power bat

-SS after Alexei

-starting C

-LHRP at least 1

Between Marcus, Sanchez, Johnson, Saladino, Anderson and Rodon the Sox don't really need another SS taking up space unless it's a blue chip prospect.