Yanks want Danks?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:27 PM)
Between Marcus, Sanchez, Johnson, Saladino, Anderson and Rodon the Sox don't really need another SS taking up space unless it's a blue chip prospect.

Really?

It is very conceivable that none of those guys ever spend a full year starting at SS for the White Sox ever.

Sanchez and Anderson are probably the only semi-realistic options. Rondon is a pipedream and the other guys aren't options at all.

**Edit: We're not going to be getting a top-rated SS prospect from anyone, but there could still be talent out there. Stockpile like 3-4 legitimate SS options and who knows, maybe you get one guy out of it.

Edited by The Ultimate Champion

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:43 PM)
Rondon, haha. Not the last time.

That's the good one.

We have a good one and a bad one. Bad one could be a good one if like a zillion things go right.

The best we can hope for is some new GM accidentally tries to make a Rodon trade but he fudges the paperwork and gives us a star for Rondon instead.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 07:37 AM)
Really?

It is very conceivable that none of those guys ever spend a full year starting at SS for the White Sox ever.

Sanchez and Anderson are probably the only semi-realistic options. Rondon is a pipedream and the other guys aren't options at all.

**Edit: We're not going to be getting a top-rated SS prospect from anyone, but there could still be talent out there. Stockpile like 3-4 legitimate SS options and who knows, maybe you get one guy out of it.

We have more pressing needs. Although if we trade Alexei, as I hope we do, but I suspect we won't, then we'll need one.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:27 PM)
Between Marcus, Sanchez, Johnson, Saladino, Anderson and Rodon the Sox don't really need another SS taking up space unless it's a blue chip prospect.

Tell that to the Cubs who have 2-3 blue chip SS prospects. You get the best available player and let it work itself out, rather than trying to acquire need. If we were one piece away from a World Series thats one thing, but we need to most talent period. They could always be a trade chip.

Hahn really needs to dNgle Danks in front of the AL East teams and hope a bidding war starts, s*** throw in beckham or something to get a nicer prospect

Edited by Dunt

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 04:15 AM)
Hahn really needs to dNgle Danks in front of the AL East teams and hope a bidding war starts, s*** throw in beckham or something to get a nicer prospect

Unless we can get a star catcher, I don't see why we'd want to break up the Big Three of Sale, Danks and Q. Add 2 good righty starters in free agency and the team has it made from a starting pitching standpoint. Of course the bullpen has to be built as well.

The guys to trade are Becks, Viciedo, DeAza and maybe Lexi if anybody wants those first 3. I think I'd prefer keeping Lexi.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 03:18 AM)
Yankees are deep in catching prospects make it happen.

To the people who want to get rid of Danks ... is it his contract or his ability? I get the feeling some people want the Sox to have a payroll of about $15 million total and just totally rip off the consumers. I mean, it's not your money and the Sox already have no payroll to speak of for the future once Dunn is gonzo.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 10:49 PM)
To the people who want to get rid of Danks ... is it his contract or his ability? I get the feeling some people want the Sox to have a payroll of about $15 million total and just totally rip off the consumers. I mean, it's not your money and the Sox already have no payroll to speak of for the future once Dunn is gonzo.

For me, it's the whole too many lefties thing. Some people will say it doesn't matter as long as they're good. With Rodon coming I don't really like the idea of 4 lefties

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 10:49 PM)

16 million could be used in other places, his ability does not match the contract. Payroll with Danks and arbitration estimate for players is 78 million way more than the 15.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2014-payroll-

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 09:49 PM)
To the people who want to get rid of Danks ... is it his contract or his ability?

Both. He's 75th of 95 qualified starters in ERA, 85th of 95 in FIP, 92nd of 95 in xFIP and 89th of 95 in SIERA. He'll be 30 by the start of next season, has greatly reduced stuff and is owed about $35m over the next 2 and a half years. There are much better ways to spend that money, his performance is easily replaceable (and indeed it should be reasonably easy to improve upon) as it is and it's likely to get worse given his peripherals, his aging and his reduced stuff.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 03:56 AM)
For me, it's the whole too many lefties thing. Some people will say it doesn't matter as long as they're good. With Rodon coming I don't really like the idea of 4 lefties

Ugh. I didn't know Rodon was a lefty. I guess you folks are right. We need to dump one of the lefties.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 12:02 AM)
Ugh. I didn't know Rodon was a lefty. I guess you folks are right. We need to dump one of the lefties.

Don't act like it's a bad thing Rodon is a lefty. With him, Sale, and Quintana in the rotation, that's a very good thing. I hope Danks is traded, partly because of the number of lefties but also because that money can be spent elsewhere.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 10:18 PM)
Yankees are deep in catching prospects make it happen.

If the Yankees show interest, that's exactly what you ask for. Filling the catching void should be our #1 priority and few teams have multiple high-end prospects. The Yankees are a perfect match for us, just depends how desperate they are for SP and if they rely heavily on advanced metrics when evaluating Danks.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 06:25 AM)
Why is it OK to have 4 or 5 RHP in a rotation, but not LHP? Just get 5 good pitchers. Who cares what hand they throw with?

Seriously. If you had 5 Chris Sale's, you wouldn't put one of them in the bullpen to make sure Scott Carroll could get into the rotation to break up all the lefties.

Why is it OK to have 4 or 5 RHP in a rotation, but not LHP? Just get 5 good pitchers. Who cares what hand they throw with?

I think the argument you'll get is that there are a lot more RH hitters, but I agree who really cares. Good pitchers can get both LH & RH hitters out anyways.

This hits it on the head. I understand you want to keep a balanced rotation but we don't NEED to have a L-R-L-R-L rotation. It's really a commodity and a luxury, but if this team has 5 starters that are lefty/righty then I could care less about balance. It's about having the best starting 5.

I think the argument you'll get is that there are a lot more RH hitters, but I agree who really cares. Good pitchers can get both LH & RH hitters out anyways.

The reality is that left-handed people are amazingly awesome and all you right-handed people are just jealous that you aren't.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 06:59 AM)
The reality is that left-handed people are amazingly awesome and all you right-handed people are just jealous that you aren't.

This is very true...hoping my son is left-handed. Teach him a knuckleball and he'll have a 50/50 shot to make the majors.