Garcia cleared for baseball activity

Heads22

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 05:41 PM)
PK wishes he was in scottsdale on the golf course at this point. The farewell tour isnt even being acknowledged by anyone.

We all could have told him it would be like that. He will always go down as a legend on the South Side, but outside of here he's not remembered my many.

If I were Robin, I would move Garcia to 1B full time and move Abreu to DH, that would allow me to get more athletic in the field and could fill some holes for the team going forward.

(And if anyone thinks that the Sox are going to contend for a playoff spot/make the playoffs this year is insane, and I think Rick Hahn knows that. The 'rebuilding' effort wasn't to going to be a one year thing. It is more beneficial to the Sox if they deal guys like Dunn, Danks, Ramirez and Viciedo so that they can bring up and see what they have in guys like Matt Davidson and Micah Johnson, etc. And most importantly they get a higher draft and more money to spend on the intl markett, which is more beneficial to the long term health of the franchise than making the playoffs.)

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 02:10 AM)
If I were Robin, I would move Garcia to 1B full time and move Abreu to DH, that would allow me to get more athletic in the field and could fill some holes for the team going forward.

I would do that, but first you gotta try and give them both time to prove they are durable and productive where they are.

for Jose, other than some speed bumps early on, he's been solid enough (and healthy) playing 1B. Avi has straight line speed, an arm in theory, but perhaps not much instinctual play in the OF, we'll see if he can stick.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 01:10 AM)

(And if anyone thinks that the Sox are going to contend for a playoff spot/make the playoffs this year is insane, and I think Rick Hahn knows that. The 'rebuilding' effort wasn't to going to be a one year thing. It is more beneficial to the Sox if they deal guys like Dunn, Danks, Ramirez and Viciedo so that they can bring up and see what they have in guys like Matt Davidson and Micah Johnson, etc. And most importantly they get a higher draft and more money to spend on the intl markett, which is more beneficial to the long term health of the franchise than making the playoffs.)

'

What is everyone's obsession with moving Abreu to DH? He's hitting fine at 1B and you don't know if DHing would affect that and he is also fine defensively out there.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 01:19 AM)
I would do that, but first you gotta try and give them both time to prove they are durable and productive where they are.

for Jose, other than some speed bumps early on, he's been solid enough (and healthy) playing 1B. Avi has straight line speed, an arm in theory, but perhaps not much instinctual play in the OF, we'll see if he can stick.

Only real reason i see to push abreu out of first base is someone who completely out plays him. While people may argue he is bad on defense, i really haven't seen it to often. And other than cabera i honestly cant think of another person i would want at first base. While i know we wont have dunn for long in the future we need to pick up another legitimate power threat otherwise teams will begin to pitch around abreu. If garcia is able to keep growing and can stick in the outfield, thats more of a core we have and makes it easy to plug in a player or two at other spots.

I would rather have garcia pan out in the outfield and be our permanent starter next year, as well as abreu at first, then maybe go sign victor martinez as our dh next year or nelson cruz, but he will be expensive. Instead of moving garcia to first and abreu to dh and go with a good defensive outfielder especially since there isnt many who are free agents and we would lose a lot of power out of our lineup.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 01:42 AM)
'

What is everyone's obsession with moving Abreu to DH? He's hitting fine at 1B and you don't know if DHing would affect that and he is also fine defensively out there.

Plus his play at first base is good enough and improving. Leave him alone.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 01:42 AM)
'

Unless the Sox suddenly trade for Paul Goldschmidt, I see zero reason to move Abreu from 1B.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 08:17 AM)
It's not like Garcia will be ready to go in a week or 2. I can't imagine he can play before September.

Good point. I'll still be mildly surprised if he plays again at all.

Rick Hahn's exact quote was "Is it possible he returns to major league play this year? Yes, it is possible." That's pretty hedgy. Kinda sounds like something the media just ran with, full steam ahead.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 08:51 AM)
Good point. I'll still be mildly surprised if he plays again at all.

Rick Hahn's exact quote was "Is it possible he returns to major league play this year? Yes, it is possible." That's pretty hedgy. Kinda sounds like something the media just ran with, full steam ahead.

He's hedging. Garcia will be back but I think that sept timeline is more realistic.

QUOTE (onedude @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 10:18 AM)
It is down as a 3-6 month injury...It's been 3 months. I'm assuming as long as the healing and rehab went without a hitch around the 4-5 month mark should be good. So August in my mind is best case scenario.

Depends if there is room for him to play. But I think thats realistic. The guy is attacking rehab, and not underestimate his leadership on this squad. he WANTS to be back.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
Depends if there is room for him to play. But I think thats realistic. The guy is attacking rehab, and not underestimate his leadership on this squad. he WANTS to be back.

I think a lot depends on Adam Dunn getting traded. It would seem the DH role would allow for him to come back sooner rather than later.

Edited by mataipaepae

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)

It looks like he is having so much fun in the dugout when they show guys in the dugout. He seems like such a great guy and teammate and he has that passion. I love it. I hope he comes back and is awesome

Garcia is not the prototypical outfielder in terms of body type, and his speed will leave him as his body continues to grow and you'll find guy with bodies like his either playing first or DHing.

I think that Garcia could be a plus defender at first and maybe even an upgrade at first over Abreu, who's glove hasn't been that bad in his defense. Plus if you have Abreu and Garcia as your 1B/DH it allows to put another athlete in the outfield, which could help out the teams defense.

And can he please switch out of #26, it looks horrible on him.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 08:10 PM)
Garcia is not the prototypical outfielder in terms of body type, and his speed will leave him as his body continues to grow and you'll find guy with bodies like his either playing first or DHing.

I think that Garcia could be a plus defender at first and maybe even an upgrade at first over Abreu, who's glove hasn't been that bad in his defense. Plus if you have Abreu and Garcia as your 1B/DH it allows to put another athlete in the outfield, which could help out the teams defense.

And can he please switch out of #26, it looks horrible on him.

1) This is stupid. He has athleticism, it's just he got bad reads. You have no idea how his body will hold up. Manny didn't fit the body type, you can argue Andruw Jones didn't later in his career.

2) Why? What reasoning? And stop trying to put Abreu at DH unless his glove is actually hurting the team, which it isn't.

3) ...ok, this just is griping just to gripe.