Sox willing to deal Beckham in "right deal now"

Heads22

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Semien is the classic "gets a cup of coffee in MLB and now everybody thinks he sucks" guy. Marcus has accomplished far more than Micah at this point and the only tool where Micah beats him is speed. Marcus, at present, is clearly a better bet on defense, for power, for plate discipline, and hit tool in general. It isn't so far apart that Micah can't pass him up, but that's how it is.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 20, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
Semien is the classic "gets a cup of coffee in MLB and now everybody thinks he sucks" guy. Marcus has accomplished far more than Micah at this point and the only tool where Micah beats him is speed. Marcus, at present, is clearly a better bet on defense, for power, for plate discipline, and hit tool in general. It isn't so far apart that Micah can't pass him up, but that's how it is.

Micah hits right-handed pitching much better than Marcus does. And, to be fair, vice versa. May be looking at a platoon. Similarly, Sanchez, though a switch hitter, struggles with lefties. I predict plenty of at bats in Semien's future, but if he doesn't start hitting righties better, he's coming off the bench.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 20, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)

I know this is kind of a roundabout way of saying what you said here, but the long story short is that Micah is just not ready to face MLB pitching yet. His numbers are way down since being promoted to AAA.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 20, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)

Why would Marcus be better defensively??? He has been a very average defensive player in AAA ( as well as during his time in ML) whereas Micah has been better in his brief stint so far at AAA

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 20, 2014 -> 07:29 PM)
Why would Marcus be better defensively??? He has been a very average defensive player in AAA ( as well as during his time in ML) whereas Micah has been better in his brief stint so far at AAA

Intuitively...if they think Marcus has the tools to occasionally play SS in the minors and they have only used Micah at 2b in the Minors (both true) then they are probably thinking Marcus has better defensive tools.

With the utter lack of walking, Micah doesn't seem ready to me.

As or Semien, it's not like he was hitting major league pitching either.

I'd like to see the Sox move Alexei.

The player I think they have to move, or they will be stuck with him until at least this time next year, is Danks.

Edited by GreenSox

Micah has been in AAA for just about a month and a half now. Give him some more time. If Beckham is traded ya gotta give Semien 2B. If Lexi is traded you still gotta call up Sanchez/Saladino before Micah.

Really kinda hoping they trade one of those 4 guys in a deal with a guy like Tank or 1 of the relievers. I've loved following Micah, but I'd trade him in a heartbeat if it meant we got somethin damn good back. Sox already have a LH top of the order bat in Adam Eaton. Where do you put those 2 in the lineup together? Bat em back to back? One of em 8th?....I kinda like the idea of trading Micah the more I really think about it.

Edited by scs787

I'm ready to move forward with both Semien and Johnson. If Conor is for real I wouldn't be opposed to moving Davidson for a down on their luck major league hitter like Yasmani Grandal seeing how the padres need a 3B for their future, all though defensive wonderkid Hedges has struggled at AA.

Marcus for july has gotten back to what I think most who are in his corner believe his potential to be in terms of BB and K%s

.323/.421/.631 - 1.052 10BB/12K

As for Micah he has progressively gotten better every month he has spent at AAA, which seems to be his MO. May & June were relatively similar in terms of production for him and now he is breaking out in July to the tune of .346/.370/.442 - .813

When both Beckham and Ramirez eventually get traded I would like to see Marcus brought back into the #2 hole and Micah broken in around 8th or 9th in the lineup.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 08:01 AM)
I'm ready to move forward with both Semien and Johnson. If Conor is for real I wouldn't be opposed to moving Davidson for a down on their luck major league hitter like Yasmani Grandal seeing how the padres need a 3B for their future, all though defensive wonderkid Hedges has struggled at AA.

Marcus for july has gotten back to what I think most who are in his corner believe his potential to be in terms of BB and K%s

.323/.421/.631 - 1.052 10BB/12K

As for Micah he has progressively gotten better every month he has spent at AAA, which seems to be his MO. May & June were relatively similar in terms of production for him and now he is breaking out in July to the tune of .346/.370/.442 - .813

When both Beckham and Ramirez eventually get traded I would like to see Marcus brought back into the #2 hole and Micah broken in around 8th or 9th in the lineup.

This is the camp I'm in. We're all busy here comparing the relative merits of the two, perhaps because we anticipate the 2B opening soon and want our guy to get the first crack. I happen to believe that Micah has a little higher ceiling due to the one dynamic tool and is a little behind Marcus in overall development due to injuries through his career arc. Who gets the first shot is not the be-all, end-all for me. I think there's room for both, and soon, because I anticipate Leury's days are also numbered.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:40 AM)
This is the camp I'm in. We're all busy here comparing the relative merits of the two, perhaps because we anticipate the 2B opening soon and want our guy to get the first crack. I happen to believe that Micah has a little higher ceiling due to the one dynamic tool and is a little behind Marcus in overall development due to injuries through his career arc. Who gets the first shot is not the be-all, end-all for me. I think there's room for both, and soon, because I anticipate Leury's days are also numbered.

Agreed

why_not_both.gif

I would like to believe that Marcus and Micah can be assets to the sox organization for the next 6 years while our window opens up again. I agree I think Leury's days are quickly coming to an end and honestly I would like to see Saladino give the opportunity to take his ABs and position on the roster he might also be a legit platoon partner for Conor .330/.396/.543 - .939

I realize power is down across the game but I wouldn't be opposed to Hahn building a line up in a similar fashion as the cardinals. Going into '15

Name Age - Pos - Hand

Adam Eaton 26 CF L

Marcus Semien 24 SS R

Conor Gillaspie 27 3B L

Jose Abreu 28 1B R

Victor Martinez 36 DH S

Avisail Garcia 23 LF R

Yasmani Grandal 26 C S

Micah Johnson 24 2B L

Trade or Fa RF R

I believe the tigers are going to offer Martinez a QO but the sox should have a protected pick and could offer him more years; a 3 year deal to possibly get it done.

Having said all that I hope Beckham goes on a tear up till the deadline and we can get a fallen prospect like Manny Banuelos for him.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)
We'll see, this could be just a 10 day audition to determine whether they need to make a move or not.

Let's hope Beckham has the best 10-day stretch in his career. Of course the Beckham lovers would all come out of hiding and say that we need to keep him haha

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 01:00 PM)
Let's hope Beckham has the best 10-day stretch in his career. Of course the Beckham lovers would all come out of hiding and say that we need to keep him haha

I agree. I just want to see what the kids could do up here. (Semien, Johnson, Sanchez, Davidson, Saladino)

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 01:00 PM)

Is there such a thing? I cannot wait to see this dude traded. He is blocking the arrival of Micah Johnson. I cannot wait to see him light up the base paths at the MLB level.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 01:10 PM)
Is there such a thing? I cannot wait to see this dude traded. He is blocking the arrival of Micah Johnson. I cannot wait to see him light up the base paths at the MLB level.

Micah Johnson is not being blocked by anyone. He is not ready for the majors yet. Even if Beckham is traded, he will not be the guy called up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)
Micah Johnson is not being blocked by anyone. He is not ready for the majors yet. Even if Beckham is traded, he will not be the guy called up.

This cannot be stressed enough.