Sox willing to deal Beckham in "right deal now"

Heads22

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 05:39 PM)
GB is barely a top 20 player at his position he can be easily replaced and should be in 2015.

I really don't see why they would consider him an option for 2015. Second Base is arguably the deepest position in the system. How many years and chances do they plan on giving this dude? I understand playing him this year. In a retooling season, you want to see what you have to work with. For instance, increasing the value of the veterans that are coming off poor 2013 seasons, determining needs for 2015 and establish that new core moving forward. If anything, Beckham decreased his value and has left Hahn with a slim hope for a winter trade.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 12:58 PM)
Those of us advanced stat haters laugh again. If there are advanced stats that say Beckham is anything but a C-minus grade type player then I say, cmon. All you do is have to watch the games and track season after season to know Beckham is lousy. I mean are we all in agreement Beckham is a C or D player? He's no A or B.

Your reading comprehension has not been strong today, friend.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 06:20 PM)
I really don't see why they would consider him an option for 2015. Second Base is arguably the deepest position in the system. How many years and chances do they plan on giving this dude? I understand playing him this year. In a retooling season, you want to see what you have to work with. For instance, increasing the value of the veterans that are coming off poor 2013 seasons, determining needs for 2015 and establish that new core moving forward. If anything, Beckham decreased his value and has left Hahn with a slim hope for a winter trade.

Not really a winter trade option either you offer him arbitration or you do not. I say let him walk.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 06:26 PM)
Not really a winter trade option either you offer him arbitration or you do not. I say let him walk.

If that's the case, I can see Hahn trying to include him in a deal centered around Danks at the deadline. The Sox are too stubborn to let him walk.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 06:28 PM)
If that's the case, I can see Hahn trying to include him in a deal centered around Danks at the deadline. The Sox are too stubborn to let him walk.

I can see that he goes in July or thru waivers in August or not at all.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 12:58 PM)
Those of us advanced stat haters laugh again. If there are advanced stats that say Beckham is anything but a C-minus grade type player then I say, cmon. All you do is have to watch the games and track season after season to know Beckham is lousy. I mean are we all in agreement Beckham is a C or D player? He's no A or B.

Beckham rates as an A- on the Advanced Stats Grading Scale (ASGS)

However, if he keeps on hitting like he is, he's heading straight for a B+ in the minds of the advanced stats gurus

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 06:28 PM)

Don't agree. With the state of that position in the org, I really have a feeling 2014 is Bacon's last season with the Sox.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 05:32 PM)

However, if he keeps on hitting like he is, he's heading straight for a B+ in the minds of the advanced stats gurus

I prefer ASGS+, because it's shift-adjusted, factors in pitch framing, and strips away all of a hitter's credit for run production and replaces it with "intended run production" and then redistributes all events randomly, pretending that all players would have acted like average players.

And then they review every play with replay and give out the MVP by WAR.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 03:45 PM)
I think what people feel is that he's one of the biggest busts relative to what we thought we had.

That's a great point. Given the Sox ability to be consistently mediocre, from 1991-2007, their highest draft pick was #12 (twice). Then 2007 happened and they got the 8th pick in '08 and drafted Beckham. Within a calendar year he is up in the majors hitting well with a .800+ OPS. Then you never see that Beckham again, that definitely makes it tougher. Had he never made it to the majors, people might have been a bit less disappointed in him, because your hopes never got crushed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 05:18 PM)
No he is not. He used to be. He is now a below average defender after getting worse at 2b each season of his career. Both by the eye test and the statistics test.

This year, I would agree. Overall, I think he's been a good defensive player.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 11:32 PM)

So he's an A-. We all should shut up then. That means he's great. An A is a great rating. We all should be ultra satisfied with Gordon Beckham. If he's an A-, wow, he's actually elite.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 09:35 PM)
So he's an A-. We all should shut up then. That means he's great. An A is a great rating. We all should be ultra satisfied with Gordon Beckham. If he's an A-, wow, he's actually elite.

As Eminor pointed out above, ASGS+ is actually the better advanced stat, and Beckham's ASGC+ is 82.46%, which grades out at B+, so slightly below elite

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2014 -> 02:38 AM)
You ever get the feeling they're not laughing with you? Yeah, me neither.

Wasn't a joke. He gets an A-minus? Whoever does that metric thinks Beckham is valuable. Same if it's a B-plus.

I believe Beckham is a lousy offensive ballplayer. So it's the metric which says he's good vs. greg who says he is not good. I think most fans would agree with me.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2014 -> 12:45 AM)
Wasn't a joke. He gets an A-minus? Whoever does that metric thinks Beckham is valuable. Same if it's a B-plus.

I believe Beckham is a lousy offensive ballplayer. So it's the metric which says he's good vs. greg who says he is not good. I think most fans would agree with me.

Greg.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 11:45 PM)

You can't argue with 82.46%. That's two decimal places. Are you saying you know better than a statistic which is done to two decimal places?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 26, 2014 -> 11:52 AM)
That's a good one, the Greg metric.

Please move on from the argument he's actually not so bad because the rest of his draft class was an even worse disappointment and allow Gordon's corpse to rest quietly in peace.

Caufield, you are a reasonable mind. What do you say to the metrics that indicate Gordon is a damn fine ballplayer? My eye test has told me otherwise.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 26, 2014 -> 03:50 PM)
Semien needs to be the starting 2B come August 1st. I can't deal with Beckham any longer than that

I can see him getting playing time in August and then when September hits, Sanchez can come up too.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 26, 2014 -> 03:50 PM)
Semien needs to be the starting 2B come August 1st. I can't deal with Beckham any longer than that

I'm not so sure it would be Semien seeing as how Micah has been the one playing 2B, brings a left handed bat, top of the order speed and has been the better hitter at Charlotte. Just a guess on my part is all.

I'm not trying to jump into the Beckham free for all but I'm with you, time to move on and see what one of the three MI spects at Charlotte can do. 2014 has been about discovering what the Sox do and not have so let's continue that by getting one of the three up with the Sox.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jul 26, 2014 -> 04:05 PM)
I'm not so sure it would be Semien seeing as how Micah has been the one playing 2B, brings a left handed bat, top of the order speed and has been the better hitter at Charlotte. Just a guess on my part is all.

I'm not trying to jump into the Beckham free for all but I'm with you, time to move on and see what one of the three MI spects at Charlotte can do. 2014 has been about discovering what the Sox do and not have so let's continue that by getting one of the three up with the Sox.

I don't think Micah has played anywhere else besides 2B and Semien can play all over. I don't think they want to rush Micah even though he will probably be up in September anyways. I am sure Sanchez, Semien, and Johnson will all be up September 1st but if Beckham gets traded within the next 5 days I think Semien will be coming up with Sanchez being the 2nd choice. I would be surprised if it was Johnson coming up already.

The Sox really need to move some of these players next week. De Aza and Dunn can helps some teams offensively. Beckham is bad, but not in comparison to Brian Roberts. Clear out some riff raff and get something - As and AAs are fine. We will bring up the kids anyway in September.

But the Sox are sentimental and I'm not sure how much they want to clear the decks. The org is still stuck on that "don't trade in division" (hopefully not the AL, like Scheuler was) silly stuff too.

Edited by GreenSox