Sox willing to deal Beckham in "right deal now"

Heads22

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 04:02 PM)
Greg, you have to understand GPx99+, which factors in simulated metrics based on imagination. Basically, what would Beckham produce on a context neutral environment if we has credited with the runs he was "willing" to produce? Then, consider a typical aging curve, temper that with what you think his favorite color says about his personality type, and then scale it to 100. It's park-adjusted, league-adjusted, and bias-adjusted. GPx99+ has Beckham at 82.12, which is roughly equivalent to 3 imagination wins above what you'd expect if a hippo played the position.

That's a B- ballplayer no matter how you want to slice it.

It's funny how far some people will go to mock or disagree withy greg rather than actually admit they are in agreement with him.

BTW where the f*** is Matry? You guys do this stuff to hima ll the time too.

Also I agree with the pares about hippos & all the pqarts about hippos.

Thank you have a nice fday.,

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)
It's funny how far some people will go to mock or disagree withy greg rather than actually admit they are in agreement with him.

BTW where the f*** is Matry? You guys do this stuff to hima ll the time too.

Also I agree with the pares about hippos & all the pqarts about hippos.

Thank you have a nice fday.,

Greg started it! Wite said that Beckham wasn't the biggest bust in franchise history because he actually managed to hold down a job in the MLB for a while, whereas many other high draft choices never even made it that far. Instead of reading anything, greg saw that wite had said something NOT negative about Beckham, and goes "well the SABR guys think Beckham is good, wtf is up with that?" So then we decided to see how long it would take for greg to actually read a post.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 05:02 PM)
Greg started it! Wite said that Beckham wasn't the biggest bust in franchise history because he actually managed to hold down a job in the MLB for a while, whereas many other high draft choices never even made it that far. Instead of reading anything, greg saw that wite had said something NOT negative about Beckham, and goes "well the SABR guys think Beckham is good, wtf is up with that?" So then we decided to see how long it would take for greg to actually read a post.

Damn, this is some minor leaguers pranking Franceur level ish. Hearing Wimpie talk about Gordon was depressing. This guy has the most outsized defensive rep of anyone outside of Jeter. Gordon is a solid defender with a strong arm but his range is average and so are his hands.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 03:33 PM)
Damn, this is some minor leaguers pranking Franceur level ish. Hearing Wimpie talk about Gordon was depressing. This guy has the most outsized defensive rep of anyone outside of Jeter. Gordon is a solid defender with a strong arm but his range is average and so are his hands.

What did wimpy say?

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 06:58 PM)
Barney to the Dodgers.

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/493829923904049153

It's looking like he's just going to be DFA'd or non-tendered in the offseason.

while I agree about his slump, these teams should have made the move before the All Star Game.

now some team played themselves out of contentions, if they made the trade for players like DV, Gordon

Danks or anyone else, who knows they still may be in the running.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 04:49 PM)
while I agree about his slump, these teams should have made the move before the All Star Game.

now some team played themselves out of contentions, if they made the trade for players like DV, Gordon

Danks or anyone else, who knows they still may be in the running.

In all honesty, it is pretty unrealistic that Beckham is going to put a team over the top. Same to be said about DV. Danks might really help you get in and I can even see DV for a team with really bad offense, but when you take a step back, these are some of our weaker links (excluding Danks) and both DV and GB are below league average players (thus unless you have a major sieve you are filling, they aren't going to be major difference makers). As I keep telling people, odds of this team significantly upgrading its talent pool are pretty minimal through trades at the deadline. The valuable chips we have are staying put and the guys we would be interested in dealing have very little, if any value on the market, and for Sox, only value is if there is a young player you can plug-in their stead. If not, not much of a point and you might as well "try" to see how much closer you can get and I wouldn't be surprised if that is Hahn's approach.

The exceptions to this rule are any veteran reliever we have (cause they are interchangeable and we have plenty of young arms (didn't say good) that we can give a chance to and normally you can get some sort of intriguing low level talent for them), Alexei (and only if you can net an impact, major league ready top 75 or so prospect and another 1 to 2 high upside guys), and Danks (not because you'll get good talent, but if you can clear his contract, it is worth it because worst case, his production in the FA market can be replaced at that price, however, that would not be a preferred approach, as you can most likely find better production out on the market or if you can acquire the right assets, internally, and thus, if you can swap his contract and get flexibility, you do it.

I also expect Hahn to be quietly looking at acquiring assets, maybe getting involved as a 3rd team where we are giving another team assets for one of the younger assets getting moved (who might fill better needs then the guys we move).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 06:58 PM)
In all honesty, it is pretty unrealistic that Beckham is going to put a team over the top. Same to be said about DV. Danks might really help you get in and I can even see DV for a team with really bad offense, but when you take a step back, these are some of our weaker links (excluding Danks) and both DV and GB are below league average players (thus unless you have a major sieve you are filling, they aren't going to be major difference makers). As I keep telling people, odds of this team significantly upgrading its talent pool are pretty minimal through trades at the deadline. The valuable chips we have are staying put and the guys we would be interested in dealing have very little, if any value on the market, and for Sox, only value is if there is a young player you can plug-in their stead. If not, not much of a point and you might as well "try" to see how much closer you can get and I wouldn't be surprised if that is Hahn's approach.

The exceptions to this rule are any veteran reliever we have (cause they are interchangeable and we have plenty of young arms (didn't say good) that we can give a chance to and normally you can get some sort of intriguing low level talent for them), Alexei (and only if you can net an impact, major league ready top 75 or so prospect and another 1 to 2 high upside guys), and Danks (not because you'll get good talent, but if you can clear his contract, it is worth it because worst case, his production in the FA market can be replaced at that price, however, that would not be a preferred approach, as you can most likely find better production out on the market or if you can acquire the right assets, internally, and thus, if you can swap his contract and get flexibility, you do it.

I also expect Hahn to be quietly looking at acquiring assets, maybe getting involved as a 3rd team where we are giving another team assets for one of the younger assets getting moved (who might fill better needs then the guys we move).

I too was thinking this. Cosart is available, so that got me thinking a little bit.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 06:58 PM)

The Sox must have been asking for too much for Dayan because the Mariners traded for Morales, giving up a decent young bullpen arm in return. Viciedo is way more valuable than Morales I'm guessing the Sox were asking for a a B level prospect.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 11:58 PM)

I totally agree with you, I was mentioning that these players are pieces to go with other pieces that is

needed.

look at the teams, they need 2 or 3 different players while looking out for avail pitching.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 12:12 AM)
The Sox must have been asking for too much for Dayan because the Mariners traded for Morales, giving up a decent young bullpen arm in return. Viciedo is way more valuable than Morales I'm guessing the Sox were asking for a a B level prospect.

I forget where I read this, sorry.

sea was trying to low ball the sox for DV as some other teams. they don't value what he brings to the

table as much as the sox will not give him away.

DV is only 25 and how long has he played in the majors? his prime is yet to come.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 08:43 PM)
Point still stands

I agree Beckham's a big upgrade for them. Hopefully there's still time for the Giants to come to their senses. Perhaps Hahn is demanding at least something in return so the Giants decided to roll the dice on literally the worst hitter in baseball w/ more than 150 PAs..

and he's not known for his defense either...

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/dan-ugg...ive-hole-072814

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 08:23 PM)
I forget where I read this, sorry.

sea was trying to low ball the sox for DV as some other teams. they don't value what he brings to the

table as much as the sox will not give him away.

DV is only 25 and how long has he played in the majors? his prime is yet to come.

Interesting. My personal opinion regarding Viciedo is 2 WAR max potential. He'll just never hit or run well enough to make up for his awful defense in a meaningful way. He needs to slash like 280/330/450 to get even to 2 WAR and I just don't see it, his bat is a bad combo of a long swing with awful pitch recognition skills. Yea he generates great bat speed, but it's a long swing and he gets out of front of the ball way, way too often.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 09:01 PM)
Putting the ugh in Uggla!

He's been awful, he personally cost Peavy a couple runs the other day. Sometimes I wonder what these front offices are thinking, wishcasting Uggla or Morales as anything other than useless replacement level players at this point is beyond silly.

I guess every GM thinks that in the right situation an older talented" player will turn it around. Heck, KW did it with Griffey when he was washed up.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 08:33 PM)
He's been awful, he personally cost Peavy a couple runs the other day. Sometimes I wonder what these front offices are thinking, wishcasting Uggla or Morales as anything other than useless replacement level players at this point is beyond silly.

I guess every GM thinks that in the right situation an older talented" player will turn it around. Heck, KW did it with Griffey when he was washed up.

Well Uggla was real low risk, giving him a minor league deal.

Not to be redundant, but doesn't anybody want to make the Sox a good offer for Beckham? Now is definitely the time to deal him. We've got replacements in the wings. Cmon, Mr. Hahn. Get us some good prospects for Beckham please.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 03:02 PM)
Greg, you have to understand GPx99+, which factors in simulated metrics based on imagination. Basically, what would Beckham produce on a context neutral environment if we has credited with the runs he was "willing" to produce? Then, consider a typical aging curve, temper that with what you think his favorite color says about his personality type, and then scale it to 100. It's park-adjusted, league-adjusted, and bias-adjusted. GPx99+ has Beckham at 82.12, which is roughly equivalent to 3 imagination wins above what you'd expect if a hippo played the position.

That's a B- ballplayer no matter how you want to slice it.

:lol:

And if you want to know what a hippo looks like actually playing a position, there's always Dayan Viciedo! Hey-o!

Edited by Feeky Magee