Sox willing to deal Beckham in "right deal now"

Heads22

Quintana is the only trade legitimate trade chip that will bring back a significant amount of talent that can help in the near term. The Sox have consistently struggled to attract top tier talent in free agency, so if this team is going to improve it is going to need to be through the trade market.

A deal with the Jays with Beckham for Sanchez, Norris and Pompey would be something to consider. Based on his age, contract status, and performance, he should have as much value as Smardzjia did in a deal.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 10:53 AM)
Quintana is the only trade legitimate trade chip that will bring back a significant amount of talent that can help in the near term. The Sox have consistently struggled to attract top tier talent in free agency, so if this team is going to improve it is going to need to be through the trade market.

A deal with the Jays with Beckham for Sanchez, Norris and Pompey would be something to consider. Based on his age, contract status, and performance, he should have as much value as Smardzjia did in a deal.

That would never happen. Jays have focused on Prado/Hill and Headley I believe.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 09:10 AM)
????

The PEAVY DEAL???

That's your formula for a Q deal?

REALLY????

No.

No.

No.

If you take back 4 spects/unproven MLB guys for Q they are all excellent. Read: they are all at Garcia's level or less than that but are still better prospects than Montas was, and none of them are anywhere near Rondon/Wendleken status, they're waaaaay above that.

Nick Swisher brought in Gio and De Los Santos from us plus Sweeney, and DLS at that point was our most celebrated prospect. To move Q you need twice that return.

No, it's not my formula, what I'm saying is that you're not going to get those 3-4 young prospects back for Quintana.

You're going to get an offer of the Peavy deal, essentially, but not with Stroman/Norris as the headliner. As soon as those two names are off the table, then the deal dies quickly (in the hypothetical Jays example).

Maybe AA is getting desperately/antsy to get back in the pennant race and sees this season getting away from him with the Angels and Mariners making charges...we don't know. We do know there's a lot of pressure on him to reach the playoffs, finally, but it's going to be through smaller moves (like Liriano/Myers/Youkilis) and not a blockbuster in-season involving his top two prospects.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 11:02 AM)
No, it's not my formula, what I'm saying is that you're not going to get those 3-4 young prospects back for Quintana.

You're going to get an offer of the Peavy deal, essentially, but not with Stroman/Norris as the headliner. As soon as those two names are off the table, then the deal dies quickly (in the hypothetical Jays example).

Maybe AA is getting desperately/antsy to get back in the pennant race and sees this season getting away from him with the Angels and Mariners making charges...we don't know. We do know there's a lot of pressure on him to reach the playoffs, finally, but it's going to be through smaller moves (like Liriano/Myers/Youkilis) and not a blockbuster in-season involving his top two prospects.

Then you don't trade him. This has been said before.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 11:03 AM)
Then you don't trade him. This has been said before.

Exactly. Like others have said, Quintana is a key piece to the Sox "retooling".

Sale and Quintana at the top of a rotation for a combined 14 years worth 108 million is a steal. Most teams would love to have their top 2 starters locked up long term with those terms.

What a waste of posts. Why would the Sox trade Quintana. He is a staple for this rotation signed and cost-controlled, much like Sale. They are part of the future. Stupidest thing we could do is move Q right now. No one is going to offer anything near the astronomic cost it would take for it to be a smart move for the franchise.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 04:27 PM)
What a waste of posts. Why would the Sox trade Quintana. He is a staple for this rotation signed and cost-controlled, much like Sale. They are part of the future. Stupidest thing we could do is move Q right now. No one is going to offer anything near the astronomic cost it would take for it to be a smart move for the franchise.

Couldn't agree more

According to the leaks that recently came out of the Astros org, Q is off limits as of last off season and I doubt this has changed. So a team would literally have to call up with an incredible offer just to get Hahn to consider the idea of trading Q and not the due diligence of kicking the tires bulls***, a real offer right from the start of the phone call.

That said, I expect to see Q in a Sox uni for years to come. :headbang

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 11:27 AM)

Exactly. You don't trade a pitcher with a 3.20 ERA who you have recently signed to a very team-friendly contract. Same goes for Petricka, he's been lights out. The only players on the MLB roster I'd consider trading are Danks, Noesi, Rienzo, Carroll, Belisario, Beckham, or De Aza.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 10:53 AM)

He should have much MORE value than Smardzija in a deal. Much more. That said, no one was going to give all of that for Smardzija.

I would consider trading him for, say, Stromand and Sanchez and one other of their best.

But really, they should see what Alexei will bring. Time to sell high.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 04:53 PM)

Your last sentence is just crazy IMO. Beckham is average at best. How can you overvalue Beckham like that? Just cause he was a top draft pick doesn't mean anybody values him. I can't imagine him bring much more than a Chris Getz type player cause he is a Chris Getz type player. OK he's a little better than Getz. This trade deadline, the Sox should dump Beckham, Viciedo and that's it (I'm assuming nobody will trade for Dunn). Get what you can for them. Why? Cause there are replacements for both.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 01:52 PM)
Your last sentence is just crazy IMO. Beckham is average at best. How can you overvalue Beckham like that? Just cause he was a top draft pick doesn't mean anybody values him. I can't imagine him bring much more than a Chris Getz type player cause he is a Chris Getz type player. OK he's a little better than Getz. This trade deadline, the Sox should dump Beckham, Viciedo and that's it (I'm assuming nobody will trade for Dunn). Get what you can for them. Why? Cause there are replacements for both.

Who is the replacement for Viciedo?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 06:55 PM)
Who is the replacement for Viciedo?

Danks until A. Garcia is ready, which could be soon. The team is going nowhere, so that's a viable replacement until Garcia is ready. Sox don't need Viciedo. Now is the time to dump him.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)
Danks until A. Garcia is ready, which could be soon. The team is going nowhere, so that's a viable replacement until Garcia is ready. Sox don't need Viciedo. Now is the time to dump him.

Jordan Danks is pretty clearly not a replacement for anyone.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 11:52 AM)

I'm pretty sure he's talking about packaging Beckham with Quintana.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)

We get it, you hate Dunn. But as has been discussed elsewhere, there will be teams looking for a guy like Dunn.. Otherwise, as of right now there really isn't a replacement for Viciedo unless they throw Sierra out there everyday. Then who do they bring up? Regardless, I wouldn't mind seeing Dunn, Beckham, and Viciedo all dealt provided they can get back something decent for the future.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)
Or he could go join Donny Lucy selling avocados in SoCal:

http://www.delreyavocado.com/salesstaff.html

Great find - this is hysterical.

After 8 years of playing professional baseball for the Chicago White Sox, Donny has decided to channel his energies towards the avocado industry.

The challenges of playing professional baseball the last 8 years have uniquely qualified Donny to handle whatever challenges lay ahead in the avocado world.

Call him up if you wanna talk about guacamole.

760-728-8325

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 01:13 PM)
Maybe for Jake at State Farm.

WTF is Jake from State Farm doing up at 3am anyway? Whacking it to Progressive Flo of course. Something about that chick, maybe it's that they're competitors? Maybe it's the attitude, or the fact she's a lil thick. Anyways they didn't show it on the commercial but when the call beeped in his ear he had to pull up his pants before he answered it. Those khakis are f***in stained.

Donny Lucy was one of the more fun longshots to root for. I still remember how angry much of SoxTalk was that we didn't draft that other guy, A's player now with the Nats? Why can't I think of his name? Anyway the board wanted him instead, he was there, said Lucy is never going to hit. They were right.

But Lucy was a good guy for the pitchers I think. I'm pretty sure I read where the pitchers really liked his game calling and stuff.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 01:02 PM)
Jordan Danks is pretty clearly not a replacement for anyone.

At this point you can say our entire OF sans Eaton all the way down to the A+ level is replaceable. You can throw Jordan in that mix if you want for his D and pop from the left side, I wouldn't mind, I'd actually enjoy it because I like the guy. But he's not a long-term solution, and I really don't think anyone else hanging around the AA-MLB level is either other than Eaton and maybe Micah Johnson if they move him to LF.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)
At this point you can say our entire OF sans Eaton all the way down to the A+ level is replaceable. You can throw Jordan in that mix if you want for his D and pop from the left side, I wouldn't mind, I'd actually enjoy it because I like the guy. But he's not a long-term solution, and I really don't think anyone else hanging around the AA-MLB level is either other than Eaton and maybe Micah Johnson if they move him to LF.

The problem continues to be...unless the White Sox this offseason are going to be willing to spend money on a corner OF and a DH, Viciedo remains exactly the kind of guy they ought to be targeting. Young, fairly talented, not yet extremely expensive, lots of upside, hasn't yet put it together and thus the cost is down, multiple years of team control remaining.

If the Mariners are willing to give up someone reasonable for him, I'm more than willing to listen at this point, but until he either gets too expensive for us to wait on or we have a better option available, "dumping" him is the one thing I can't agree with.

I can agree with dumping Beckham and De Aza because they're unlikely to have their final arbitration years offered next year. Viciedo isn't yet in that boat. He could be there next year, but not yet.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)
Donny Lucy was one of the more fun longshots to root for. I still remember how angry much of SoxTalk was that we didn't draft that other guy, A's player now with the Nats? Why can't I think of his name? Anyway the board wanted him instead, he was there, said Lucy is never going to hit. They were right.

But Lucy was a good guy for the pitchers I think. I'm pretty sure I read where the pitchers really liked his game calling and stuff.

You mean the Twins. He's a f***ing pain in the Sox ass too.