Sox willing to deal Beckham in "right deal now"

Heads22

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 06:58 AM)
Toronto has been scouting Beckham for the last week per Levine

I wonder which route Toronto is going to take. The expensive long term route with Hill or Prado, or somewhat cheaper and better defensively Beckham.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)
I wonder which route Toronto is going to take. The expensive long term route with Hill or Prado, or somewhat cheaper and better defensively Beckham.

tor like sea does not have the bank to look at the expense, they, tor like stl, have liked beckham. I remember

mentioning this several months ago. however to get the trade done with tor I wonder if we offer cash for a bigger

rtn in prospects. secondly sweetening the deal with another player.... but then again maybe not.

QUOTE (midway @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
In yesterday's MLB traderumors chat Billy Beane said his next target is 2B and asked if he should go after Gordon Beckham or Ben Zobrist and if Tom Millone would be enough to get either one....hell yes!!!!

I think he was joking. He has said all along that Gray, Chavez, Kazmir and the two Cubs wouldn't be expected to make all of their starts in the 2nd half, especially the first 3 guys because of workload concerns.

Zobrist isn't going anywhere, from everything I've read and heard. Price is the one they have to part with...

SF is also looking for a 2B, supposedly. DeAza could be a good fit there as well, as they look to shake up their team and find any way to get some more offense out of players not named Sandoval, Posey, Morse and Pence.

Edited by caulfield12

It gets used way too often for lefties with less than stellar stuff and good command, but Milone really has looked and worked a lot like Buehrle on the mound the few times I've seen him pitch. Not as good as Buehrle, but that's still a cheapish mid to back end of the rotation starter.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 12:50 PM)
Milone would be a trainwreck in USCF. Too many HR's and too many walks.

I'll take that train wreck considering the youth and busted projects that have attempted to fill the void(s) in the starting rotation.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 12:50 PM)
Milone would be a trainwreck in USCF. Too many HR's and too many walks.

His career BB/9 is 2.02, career HR/9 is 1.12, and career FB% is 41.3%. Can you tell me why you expect too many home runs and too many walks when he's been fairly proficient at reigning them in throughout his entire career thus far?

Anyone else think it's 99.9% likely Beckham is gone before August 1st? I'm not expecting a crazy return, but it seems like there are enough teams in need of a 2B for us to get something of value for him. And quite frankly, I think the Sox feel like they can give one of their AAA IFs his ABs the rest of the way and not miss a beat.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 03:46 PM)
Anyone else think it's 99.9% likely Beckham is gone before August 1st? I'm not expecting a crazy return, but it seems like there are enough teams in need of a 2B for us to get something of value for him. And quite frankly, I think the Sox feel like they can give one of their AAA IFs his ABs the rest of the way and not miss a beat.

I wouldn't call it nearly that likely, but it's an obviously correct move.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
I wouldn't call it nearly that likely, but it's an obviously correct move.

Honestly, I think it's all but certain. Even in the unlikely event Hahn isn't a seller, moving Beckham still makes sense if you can get any halfway decent prospect for him. IMO, Semien has a decent chance to out-produce Gordon the rest of the way if given the opportunity.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
His career BB/9 is 2.02, career HR/9 is 1.12, and career FB% is 41.3%. Can you tell me why you expect too many home runs and too many walks when he's been fairly proficient at reigning them in throughout his entire career thus far?

Because he put those numbers up in Oakland, a pitchers haven. His BB/9 rate this season is 2.43 up from 2.25 last season and his career numbers are pulled down by what appears to be an outlier 1.71 BB/9 in his rookie season. He has a 20% LD% as well. In USCF more of those fly balls and line drives turn into HR's at USCF and he isn't aided by the extra outs that are picked up in Oakland in the vast foul territories. He is also currently operating with an unsustainable BABIP (.262) and has a FIP of 4.40 and a xFIP of 4.49. His fly ball percentage is 47.1% at home and 36.3% on the road, I would not think that discrepancy to be sustainable either.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 03:05 PM)
Because he put those numbers up in Oakland, a pitchers haven. His BB/9 rate this season is 2.43 up from 2.25 last season and his career numbers are pulled down by what appears to be an outlier 1.71 BB/9 in his rookie season. He has a 20% LD% as well. In USCF more of those fly balls and line drives turn into HR's at USCF and he isn't aided by the extra outs that are picked up in Oakland in the vast foul territories. He is also currently operating with an unsustainable BABIP (.262) and has a FIP of 4.40 and a xFIP of 4.49. His fly ball percentage is 47.1% at home and 36.3% on the road, I would not think that discrepancy to be sustainable either.

-I would say the 2.43 BB/9 is more of the outlier pulling his career numbers up, given his 1.9 BB/9 coming into the year and 1.5 BB/9 in the minors.

-That LD% means virtually nothing to me given that Quintana has a 22.4% LD% this year and a 21.2% for his career. Chris Sale had a LD% of 23% in 2012 and 21.4% last year. You'd prefer it to be lower, but it's not in a bad spot.

-A career FB% of 41.3% and 41.6% this year is more than adequate. You prefer him throwing more grounders, but he's not dependent upon flyball outs the way a guy like Chris Young or Marco Estrada are.

-A .262 BABIP is not otherworldly unsustainable though, especially given his career BABIP of .291. This isn't the pitching version of Tyler Flowers hitting .360 with a .600 BABIP.

-A high flyball percentage in a pitcher's park and a lower flyball percentage on the road would indicate to me a smart pitcher who works well in his environment.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)
-I would say the 2.43 BB/9 is more of the outlier pulling his career numbers up, given his 1.9 BB/9 coming into the year and 1.5 BB/9 in the minors.

-That LD% means virtually nothing to me given that Quintana has a 22.4% LD% this year and a 21.2% for his career. Chris Sale had a LD% of 23% in 2012 and 21.4% last year. You'd prefer it to be lower, but it's not in a bad spot.

-A career FB% of 41.3% and 41.6% this year is more than adequate. You prefer him throwing more grounders, but he's not dependent upon flyball outs the way a guy like Chris Young or Marco Estrada are.

-A .262 BABIP is not otherworldly unsustainable though, especially given his career BABIP of .291. This isn't the pitching version of Tyler Flowers hitting .360 with a .600 BABIP.

-A high flyball percentage in a pitcher's park and a lower flyball percentage on the road would indicate to me a smart pitcher who works well in his environment.

He was 2.25 BB/9 last season, so the trend is moving away from his career low 1.7.

Fair enough on LD%.

The more flyballs, the more homeruns when he doesn't have the luxury of pitching in Oakland.

No, but a regression to his norm would allow him to be less effective than he has been this season.

You could assume that it is the work of a smart pitcher, or you could believe that he has been lucky on the road this season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 03:20 PM)
It's possible the Reds might need a 2nd baseman if Phillips' thumb injury is serious. Beckham would be a good fit there.

Update: Phillips out 2 months with torn thumb ligament

They can get Beckham and he may succeed but the return will be nothing of value for the next three years to the White Sox. Thinking a low A pitcher with some upside.

Gordon strikes me as the type of player who will really take to a change of scenery, he'll move on to a new club next year and go on to hit .280/.350/.450 There's absolutely nothing the Sox can do, he'll never put it together here but the second he puts on anther uniform he'll turn it on. This upsets me greatly.