Sox willing to deal Beckham in "right deal now"

Heads22

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 03:20 PM)
It's possible the Reds might need a 2nd baseman if Phillips' thumb injury is serious. Beckham would be a good fit there.

Update: Phillips out 2 months with torn thumb ligament

Another dreaded head first slide?

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 12:22 AM)
Gordon strikes me as the type of player who will really take to a change of scenery, he'll move on to a new club next year and go on to hit .280/.350/.450 There's absolutely nothing the Sox can do, he'll never put it together here but the second he puts on anther uniform he'll turn it on. This upsets me greatly.

That's not going to happen. He is a high first round draft pick so naturally it's tough to think of him as a complete bust. It happens though. He's just not very good at baseball.

The change of scenery thing? Maybe the first two weeks with his new team he'll be on fire, but then it'll be back to the Gordon we know. There's just no way he's going to be a good hitter. I'd be stunned.

It's unbelievable how quickly Gordon's season went from on pace to his best ever to on pace to his worst ever. I think he's going to end up where he always does, which is at the very low end of regular starters that didn't play so bad that they absolutely have to be replaced.

Maybe he'll get better with a change of scenery, but I hope we can all agree that he's not going to get better with the Sox. He's like any baseball player where he gets hot sometimes and slumps other times, but we know how it will end each year.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
It's unbelievable how quickly Gordon's season went from on pace to his best ever to on pace to his worst ever. I think he's going to end up where he always does, which is at the very low end of regular starters that didn't play so bad that they absolutely have to be replaced.

Maybe he'll get better with a change of scenery, but I hope we can all agree that he's not going to get better with the Sox. He's like any baseball player where he gets hot sometimes and slumps other times, but we know how it will end each year.

To be fair, his offense is is still one of the best in his career this year, it's his defense that has been horrendous this year according to metrics. His range at 2B is just terrible this year.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 01:46 AM)
To be fair, his offense is is still one of the best in his career this year, it's his defense that has been horrendous this year according to metrics. His range at 2B is just terrible this year.

That's not really saying much and I don't even know if its true. What are you basing that on?

Why is it so difficult to get rid of a first-round draft pick? My guess is the Sox brass will be afraid to pull the trigger and trade Beckham for scraps. It's tough to admit a first-round pick is mediocre at best, I guess. Trade him and bring up Semien and we lose nothing in the switcheroo.

Edited by greg775

Gordon Beckham is not a good offensive player. In fact, other than one or maybe two months every year- he is bad. Time to move on, cut your losses, swallow your pride and head in a newer direction.

When you have Sanchez and Johnson waiting in the wings, this decision becomes less difficult. Beckham has had 5 seasons to prove himself. Most players only get 2 to 3 if they begin slowly. The Power of that 1st round pick I guess?

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 11:40 AM)
Gordon Beckham is not a good offensive player. In fact, other than one or maybe two months every year- he is bad. Time to move on, cut your losses, swallow your pride and head in a newer direction.

When you have Sanchez and Johnson waiting in the wings, this decision becomes less difficult.

Beckham has had 5 seasons to prove himself. Most players only get 2 to 3 if they begin slowly.

The Power of that 1st round pick I guess?

more like the idea of fulfilling the potential image.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 03:27 AM)
Why is it so difficult to get rid of a first-round draft pick?

They've dealt other first round picks readily enough. Poreda and Broadway come to mind.

the Sox are an overly sentimental organization though.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
I think he was joking. He has said all along that Gray, Chavez, Kazmir and the two Cubs wouldn't be expected to make all of their starts in the 2nd half, especially the first 3 guys because of workload concerns.

Zobrist isn't going anywhere, from everything I've read and heard. Price is the one they have to part with...

SF is also looking for a 2B, supposedly. DeAza could be a good fit there as well, as they look to shake up their team and find any way to get some more offense out of players not named Sandoval, Posey, Morse and Pence.

I know this was a few days ago but that isnt the talk around Tampa.

If the Rays feel they are sellers and someone wants to take Zobrist then he'll be gone real fast. Zobrist is owed $7M next season and the Rays wouldnt mind freeing up that space.

Maybe if we are that intent on trading our DP combo it would behoove us to wait until after the season. I think there is too much pressure mid-season and we might not get a good return. I think Adam Dunn is the exception as far as waiting unless we figure on a new deal at less money

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
Maybe if we are that intent on trading our DP combo it would behoove us to wait until after the season. I think there is too much pressure mid-season and we might not get a good return. I think Adam Dunn is the exception as far as waiting unless we figure on a new deal at less money

Beckham isn't going to suddenly become a better trade asset than he is now.

We should at least be able to get a Jason Frasor type of deal out of this guy. That's bare minimum.

Also (and it goes without saying) the Sox should be willing to eat 100% of every deal they move in terms of 2014 salary minus the prorated minimum in order to get a better prospect(s). Beckham might be someone we could eat $900K - 1.2M on or whatever that would come out as by this time.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 01:47 PM)

Beckham will have zero trade value in off season. No team will want to go to arbitration with him, because that team would then be stuck with the arb award. If Sox non tender him, he is then a FA and will have to sign at a lower salary. Sox get nothing that way. Trading him in July won't get much either, but it creates an opportinity for one for our minor league infielders to get some AB's.

It dawned on me today that Gordon Beckham is a Sox lifer or until he leaves on his own accord, which he probably won't. He's one of those guys they'll never pull the trigger on in a deal and admit a huge draft mistake.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 01:57 PM)
I agree, esp with Hahn at the helm, that is unless JR say different.

Agreed. Beckham needs to go. With Semien, Johnson, Sanchez and Saladino waiting in the wings, he's very expendable and it would be dumb to hang onto him when those players can provide the same production at a fifth of the cost.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 05:24 PM)
Beckham will have zero trade value in off season. No team will want to go to arbitration with him, because that team would then be stuck with the arb award. If Sox non tender him, he is then a FA and will have to sign at a lower salary. Sox get nothing that way. Trading him in July won't get much either, but it creates an opportinity for one for our minor league infielders to get some AB's.

I think this is the key aspect at this point. If the Sox do not think he is a part of their future anymore, then they need to unload him for whatever they can get and let the potential replacements get some AB's so the Sox can evaluate them and see what they actually have in them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)
I am guessing that Micah today will look a lot like a no-glove version of Leury. No need to rush Johnson.

I agree, not at all. I'd rather see Semien up for good in Beckham's place. Would like to see them do everything they can to get Sanchez to stick at SS.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)
I agree, not at all. I'd rather see Semien up for good in Beckham's place. Would like to see them do everything they can to get Sanchez to stick at SS.

Be prepared then for several more years of living in the depths of the AL Central