AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER !

How in the world are Carroll and Hector capable of this? These type of games, and Viciedo's performance on this road trip are times you think the Sox actually have a good managerial and coaching staff.

WTF is with this team? Is it a good team or horses***? It never can completely make up its mind. You remember the pathetic sweep at Minnie, pathetic sweep at home against KC and performance vs. the Angels.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 09:59 PM)
How in the world are Carroll and Hector capable of this? These type of games, and Viciedo's performance on this road trip are times you think the Sox actually have a good managerial and coaching staff.

WTF is with this team? Is it a good team or horses***? It never can completely make up its mind. You remember the pathetic sweep at Minnie, pathetic sweep at home against KC and performance vs. the Angels.

Really think they're right in between.... an average .500 ball club.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 03:59 AM)

with games like today, it gets the fans in a believing mode of we can do it..... or at least make the wildcard.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 10:59 PM)

You think the Sox would have had enough mediocre teams in the past that this wouldn't be rocket science...Seriously, do you watch baseball? Have you seen mediocre teams? Have you seen bad offenses get shut down by bad pitchers? Have you seen good offenses get shut down by bad pitchers?

It's baseball man, today was 1/162.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 04:12 AM)
You think the Sox would have had enough mediocre teams in the past that this wouldn't be rocket science...Seriously, do you watch baseball? Have you seen mediocre teams? Have you seen bad offenses get shut down by bad pitchers? Have you seen good offenses get shut down by bad pitchers?

It's baseball man, today was 1/162.

It's not that simple with this team.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 12:51 AM)
It's not that simple with this team.

Sure it is. There's nothing about this team that makes them different from any other mediocre team. They've shown flashes of being really, really good, and they've shown moments of being really bad. The last two games have displayed some great pitching and defense. Believe me, we'll see the bad soon...hopefully for just a game. This team will most likely hover right around .500 (probably just under) all season. That's a mediocre team by definition. We can pick out the bad games and good games all we want. It's the overall record that counts.

I think the home plate ump was perfect for Carroll. He called the low strike all night long and Carroll did a great job of hitting the bottom of the strike zone. Now if the ump last night was not vcalling low strikes, the outcome may have been very different. That is the fine line for a pitcher who has to nibble.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 07:42 AM)
I think the home plate ump was perfect for Carroll. He called the low strike all night long and Carroll did a great job of hitting the bottom of the strike zone. Now if the ump last night was not vcalling low strikes, the outcome may have been very different. That is the fine line for a pitcher who has to nibble.

He may have been getting the low strike, but it wasnt like he ended up with a lot of K's because of it. IIRC all but two or three of his outs were ground ball outs, his sinker had some major downward movement last night and Boston could not square it up.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 09:59 PM)

You do realize Boston sucks right? They are 39-50

The confusion isn't about the White Sox. It's more to do with the up-and-down nature of the Red Sox over the last three seasons.

Maybe that Carroll actually won another game as a starter, but it's pretty clear from the body language and lack of hustle/fire (except for Pedroia) that they're going through the motions right now. Bradley Jr. has been playing really hard too, hitting finally and 10 outfield assists, from CF of all places.

As far as the Red Sox go, all you need to know is their outfielders have 12 homers on the entire season, COMBINED.

Viciedo, who lots of people want to trade now, is at 11.

In fact, Gordon Edes is the one who started the Viciedo to Boston rumors....over names like Workman and Dubront...because of how little offense they're getting from their corners, and the fact that LF would give Viciedo a lot less territory to cover in Boston, and he would have more opportunities to take advantage of Green Monster singles to throw runners out at 2B.

It's logical enough for Viciedo to be a fit in Boston. Just hoping he wouldn't go all David Ortiz Jr. after arriving there, like Big Papi when he left the Metrodome.

Edited by caulfield12

Carroll did a great job pounding the zone with strikes, keeping his sinker mostly down and working inside. Boston hitters then did a great job of getting themselves out. That Boston lineup... wow, I was watching that thinking "Corpseball Era Sox" the whole time. Just a pathetic offensive effort out of those guys. They should be ashamed to be in the presence of a winner like AJ Pierzynski, who funnily enough seemed to be the only guy with a Major League approach out of what I saw.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 07:37 AM)
Also kudos to Dayan, keep bumping up that trade value.

Mariners were watching right?

They should have been. Watching and dreaming all over him. And slobbering.

The Padres extended Seth Smith yesterday. Options are dwindling for LF, especially a LH-hitting LFer.

Do you want to be like the Red Sox and have 12 home runs combined out of your outfield on July 8th, 2015? If Bradley Jr. is the equivalent of Adam Eaton, then Nava/Holt/Sizemore/Victorino/Gomes is a fair approximation of what we'll have next season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 08:41 AM)
The Padres extended Seth Smith yesterday. Options are dwindling for LF, especially a LH-hitting LFer.

Do you want to be like the Red Sox and have 12 home runs combined out of your outfield on July 8th, 2015? If Bradley Jr. is the equivalent of Adam Eaton, then Nava/Holt/Sizemore/Victorino/Gomes is a fair approximation of what we'll have next season.

I'd take zero HRs out of the entire OF if every player hustled and played the field like Eaton. I'd certainly like to see Eaton use his legs a lot more, but 3 Eatons and a ton of speed on the basepaths, a slap-it-down-the-line approach with men on, and a f***truck load of run prevention will work for me.

Seriously, ideally I'd like to have lots of BA OBP and SLG and speed and so on out of every single position on the diamond but Dayan Viciedo is as much of an OF as I am a Ukranian figure skater. You have to be able to play the position first. For me Tank is a DH if he stays here, but it looks like Hahn doesn't have him in his plans. But that's fine, if you trade Tank for a SP or something then great, you can sign a DH as a FA. But no matter what Tank shouldn't be in the OF.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 08:41 AM)

Depends if you have thump elsewhere but generally you want at least one of your OF'ers to be a middle of the order guy if possible. With Avasail I would take another Eaton out there in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 07:51 AM)
I'd take zero HRs out of the entire OF if every player hustled and played the field like Eaton. I'd certainly like to see Eaton use his legs a lot more, but 3 Eatons and a ton of speed on the basepaths, a slap-it-down-the-line approach with men on, and a f***truck load of run prevention will work for me.

Seriously, ideally I'd like to have lots of BA OBP and SLG and speed and so on out of every single position on the diamond but Dayan Viciedo is as much of an OF as I am a Ukranian figure skater. You have to be able to play the position first. For me Tank is a DH if he stays here, but it looks like Hahn doesn't have him in his plans. But that's fine, if you trade Tank for a SP or something then great, you can sign a DH as a FA. But no matter what Tank shouldn't be in the OF.

Based on what?, the fact that he was listening to offers...that Dayan is intriguing to other MLB teams isn't necessarily indicative that he's about to be traded.

The fact that only Abreu, Eaton, Sale and Quintana (and one would assume Avisail) are his will not trade list?

Have you actually looked at the free agency market for DH's? If it was so easy to find outfield/DH bats, then the Red Sox, with money pouring in, wouldn't be in the desperate situation they are right now. They wouldn't be gambling like Lilian on a Grady Sizemore career renaissance against all odds. There wouldn't be five AL playoff contending teams with DH numbers below or close to a .700 OPS.

The best outfield bats right now are probably going to be Melky Cabrera and Colby Rasmus...do you want to give those guys $40-80 million to replace Viciedo's $5 million? Is that even going to be a clear upgrade...and are those players going to lead you to the playoffs in 2016/17/18? Maybe, but probably not.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 07:55 AM)
Depends if you have thump elsewhere but generally you want at least one of your OF'ers to be a middle of the order guy if possible. With Avasail I would take another Eaton out there in a heartbeat.

I know you love Garcia, but I'm going to have to see a lot more than one hot series in Colorado to think he's a legit 3-6 hitter next season with the White Sox.

He might be forced into that role, but the jury's still out whether he will be able to produce power numbers to belong there and protect Abreu from being walked 125 times.

And we don't have thump elsewhere. We have catcher, Conor, the possibility of even less power from SS and 2B (with Ramirez and Beckham trades or Alexei simply reverting to his offensive form of the last 2-3 seasons), and the probability of less or equal power from DH.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 08:58 AM)
I know you love Garcia, but I'm going to have to see a lot more than one hot series in Colorado to think he's a legit 3-6 hitter next season with the White Sox.

He might be forced into that role, but the jury's still out whether he will be able to produce power numbers to belong there and protect Abreu from being walked 125 times.

And we don't have thump elsewhere. We have catcher, Conor, the possibility of even less power from SS and 2B (with Ramirez and Beckham trades or Alexei simply reverting to his offensive form of the last 2-3 seasons), and the probability of less or equal power from DH.

When the Sox contend as it stands today they will probably end up buying a power bat for DH or something of the like. We just dont have enough in the stockpile.

Well, unless Davidson figures it out.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 08:37 AM)
Also kudos to Dayan, keep bumping up that trade value.

Mariners were watching right?

They should have been. Watching and dreaming all over him. And slobbering.

Again, I don't think the Sox are dealing Viciedo unless they get a crazy offer.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
When the Sox contend as it stands today they will probably end up buying a power bat for DH or something of the like. We just dont have enough in the stockpile.

Well, unless Davidson figures it out.

I think the other missing feature is that there's no power from the LH side.