7/8 Games

GGajewski18

With Montas, Hawkins and Anderson all out....our minor league watch list is pretty limited.

Horrid Johnson starts, Jared Mitchell recriminations, Trey M., May and Barnum in Winston-Salem, Tyler Danish and then Sanchez/Semien/Saladino/Davidson in Charlotte.

Angel Sanchez is the 2nd most exciting pitcher at the moment, after Tyler.

Beck sucks.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 07:01 PM)
With Montas, Hawkins and Anderson all out....our minor league watch list is pretty limited.

Horrid Johnson starts, Jared Mitchell recriminations, Trey M., May and Barnum in Winston-Salem, Tyler Danish and then Sanchez/Semien/Saladino/Davidson in Charlotte.

Beck sucks.

Ravelo/Smith in Birmingham

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 08:01 PM)

Beck sucks.

Lol stop it. Beck doesn't suck. He still has a 3.5 ERA in AA.

First you say you want Allen Craig now you say Angel Sanchez is the 2nd most exciting pitching prospect in the minors currently after Sox got him a week ago. Come on man.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 07:04 PM)

First you say you want Allen Craig now you say Angel Sanchez is the 2nd most exciting pitching prospect in the minors currently after Sox got him a week ago. Come on man.

I didn't say that I wanted Allen Craig.

Just that it's an idea to be considered. If he was left-handed, then it would be more exciting. As it is, it's a MEH type of move, but could pay off dividends in the future as Craig has a solid history of 800 OPS hitting on championship teams.

The biggest problem is we don't have anyone the Cardinals would really want. They already have Peralta. Unless they're going to move Peralta to 3B and Carpenter back to 2B, or play Alexei at 2B, which would be even crazier.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 07:04 PM)

And that 3.5 ERA in AA is like Danks' at the major league level.

You have to look beyond the numbers. I don't think I've seen anyone here even assert he should be getting starts for the major league team when before the last Carroll start we might have had the worst 5th starter numbers in the AL.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 01:05 AM)
Brett Austin has rebounded nicely after a rough start, 2-3 tonight with a double

Trey 3-4 now

Brett Austin had a rough start? I feel like he's had a nice line very time I looked.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 02:30 AM)
At this point, I feel pretty certain that Leury Garcia would get more strikeouts against MLB hitters than Chris Beck

Could Beck get more hits against MLB pitchers than Leury :)

Agree with you, outside of being drafted high, there's nothing about Beck's minor league career that makes you think he can be anything more than a back-end starter.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 09:08 PM)
Ravelo has the hit tool.

Stoltz said plus hit, and scouts thing he can reach a plus power. To me, that seems like a .290, 20 HR guy to me. Got to love that. Just off the top of my head of current major league 1B, maybe like an Adam Lind type guy? Brandon Belt? James Loney? Those are guys who hit around 20-something HR and hit .280+.

Here's the argument that we've been hearing about why Chris Beck isn't getting K's....applied by the Cubs to their pitchers Wada/Beeler/Hendricks in AAA.

Following the gameplan is a point of emphasis for Cubs pitching coach Chris Bosio and Epstein's front office. (Iowa Cubs pitching coach Bruce) Walton has to send the top-down message.

"Every night, I fill out a game report with my comments, telling [the front office] what we're working on, the progress of each guy, where they're at," Walton said. "For example, it could be a game where we went seven innings, gave up six runs, but three of the runs we gave up is because we were working on something and we didn't execute it as well as we're going to execute it in the future.

"But we have to start somewhere and we don't want to start when they get called up. We do make some sacrifices here, where the line score probably could have been better if we had ignored some developmental things. But that's not what we're about. We're about trying to make our guys major-league ready when they get there."

That’s the entire point.

"They understand everything we discuss is going to help them in the long run,” Walton said. “They make sacrifices in the short run to be better in the long run. They get it.

"Sometimes, there are baby steps here and some of the stuff we work on doesn't really help you for this league. It sounds funny, but with the plans that we have, we as a staff are trying to get better at the major-league level. We're not really worried about trying to get our outs here, although they do come.

"We're trying to put our gameplan together for the big leagues. Not our gameplan to be an All-Star in the [Pacific Coast League]."

http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/after-samar...t-wave-pitching