When Does Flowers Get Replaced As Everyday Catcher?

Feeky Magee

9 for his last 100 (7 singles and 2 homers) with 6 walks and 47 strikeouts.

That's good for a line of .090/.148/.150

Internal options:

- Nieto hitting .242/.319/.306 on the year, wRC+ of 76. (.405 BABIP and a K rate of 35.7%)

- Phegley hitting .246/.320/.481 at AAA, wRC+ of 117 (plus question marks on defence)

- Smith hitting .305/.387/.473 at AA, wRC+ of 143

You could argue that with not wanting Nieto to be overwhelmed plus the question marks on Phegley's D that everyone should stay put for now without someone coming in, but I wouldn't shed any tears with a Flowers DFA and everyone else moving up a level. It'd at least give them more of a chance to see what they have in Nieto/Phegley before the trade deadline, where presumably they'd love to bring in a catcher. It'd also mean the best catching prospect in the system was at a more age-appropriate level.

Edited by Feeky Magee

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When he is not the best option we have. He sucks at hitting, but he can handle a pitching staff. Meanwhile, Phegley sucks at hitting (at least at the majors), can't play defense and does not handle a pitching staff well by all accounts. Nieto is just not that good right now. He obviously wouldn't be in the Majors but for being a Rule 5 Draft Pick. Smith needs to continue to hit at AA and then repeat at AAA.

Flowers is still the Sox system's tallest midget.

It's pretty well known that Hahn does not like any of his options. And it is the position where he is trying to upgrade the most. He wanted Castro from Houston. And I guarantee he is looking all over. But good catchers don't grow on trees.

Edited by maggsmaggs

I wouldn't be able to argue with calling up Phegley, but I have a feeling his horrid D will offset any of the small gains at the plate. I'd rather see Kevan Smith, honestly, but that probably doesn't put him in a position to succeed.

All the reports are that Kevan Smith is a work in progress defensively.

The last thing we want to do is derail his current offensive confidence and force him up to AAA or the majors when nobody thinks he's close to ready.

Either they give Phegley another shot or find someone to come back in return for Danks/DeAza/Ramirez/Beckham/Dunn/Belisario/Putnam.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 07:15 PM)
I say Nieto starts 3-4 games a week and Flowers 2-3 for a few weeks then if Nieto is hitting under .200 bring up Phegley and Nieto the back up.

There is no way Nieto hits under .100 in his next 100 AB's

Don't be so sure. He was in High A last season at this time.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 08:18 PM)
Don't be so sure. He was in High A last season at this time.

Nieto has shown a lot more patience lately and I just can't see him hitting worse then Flowers.. At least he would be getting AB's and developing more. I can't watch Flowers bat anymore.

QUOTE (lord chas @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 01:41 AM)
If the Sox make some deadline moves I hope we can get another catcher in the system

+1...this and another starting pitcher have got to be the priority.

Last year, Hahn seemed to target guys who might be blocked at the big league level, but were ready (or close to being ready) for the majors. Anyone fit this billing at the catcher position?

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 07:07 PM)
When he is not the best option we have. He sucks at hitting, but he can handle a pitching staff. Meanwhile, Phegley sucks at hitting (at least at the majors), can't play defense and does not handle a pitching staff well by all accounts. Nieto is just not that good right now. He obviously wouldn't be in the Majors but for being a Rule 5 Draft Pick. Smith needs to continue to hit at AA and then repeat at AAA.

Flowers is still the Sox system's tallest midget.

It's pretty well known that Hahn does not like any of his options. And it is the position where he is trying to upgrade the most. He wanted Castro from Houston. And I guarantee he is looking all over. But good catchers don't grow on trees.

Sums it up pretty well. As horrendous a hitter as he is he's a pretty darn good catcher. For awhile, we're stuck with him.

Flowers is pretty sturdy defender back there. Isn't the catcher position pretty abysmal throughout baseball hitting wise? Somebody was touting McCann for the all star game and he's hitting .230 with a .289 on base percentage.

Obviously I'm down on Flowers the hitter, but it's nice to have a guy with a good arm back there.