When Does Flowers Get Replaced As Everyday Catcher?

Feeky Magee

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're still blaming Walker? Last year, the offense was horrible under Manto who supposedly was a godsend compared to Walker. Then Steverson shows up and he is the new guru. How much better are the Sox offensively if you take away the additions of Abreu and Eaton?

This is Tyler's 3 major league hitting instructor, and there is no improvement. I think there is a lot of evidence to show Greg Walker more than likely wasn't the reason the White Sox couldn't hit when he was coaching and is even less likely the reason those same players aren't hitting now.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 10:38 AM)
You're still blaming Walker? Last year, the offense was horrible under Manto who supposedly was a godsend compared to Walker. Then Steverson shows up and he is the new guru. How much better are the Sox offensive if you take away the additions of Abreu and Eaton?

This is Tyler's 3 major league hitting instructor, and there is no improvement. I think there is a lot of evidence to show Greg Walker more than likely wasn't the reason the White Sox couldn't hit when he was coaching and is even less likely those same players aren't hitting now.

Preach on. It was never Walker. Might it have been time for a new voice, sure, but Walker was not this terrible hitting coach some people like to say. Reality is we've had some really bad offensive players in our lineup for a while.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
I just thought it was unusual that Tyler had hit so well at the beginning of the season to fall so low. Lately he appears to be swinging the bat anywhere that the ball isn't.

We all saw this coming. Earlier in the year, everything he made contact with found a hole. He had like a .700 BABIP. It fell, like it always falls for every player ever, and now it's at .348 and he's a 59 wRC+ hitter who will be non-tendered and given a minor league contract somewhere.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 12:44 PM)
We all saw this coming. Earlier in the year, everything he made contact with found a hole. He had like a .700 BABIP. It fell, like it always falls for every player ever, and now it's at .348 and he's a 59 wRC+ hitter who will be non-tendered and given a minor league contract somewhere.

Yeah, that's the problem. Even when he finally does start making contact again, he's bound for some more bad luck.

This slump, considering the total lack of contact, has to be one of the worst in White Sox history.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:46 AM)
Yeah, that's the problem. Even when he finally does start making contact again, he's bound for some more bad luck.

This slump, considering the total lack of contact, has to be one of the worst in White Sox history.

At least we know what we have -- no shoulder injury or split time to use as an excuse. But, man, it really exposes the biggest hole in our system, loudly and publicly.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 06:38 PM)
You're still blaming Walker? Last year, the offense was horrible under Manto who supposedly was a godsend compared to Walker. Then Steverson shows up and he is the new guru. How much better are the Sox offensively if you take away the additions of Abreu and Eaton?

This is Tyler's 3 major league hitting instructor, and there is no improvement. I think there is a lot of evidence to show Greg Walker more than likely wasn't the reason the White Sox couldn't hit when he was coaching and is even less likely the reason those same players aren't hitting now.

It's all cliche. Blame the hitting coach who was a former weak hitting Sox player. I didn't even know who our current hitting coach was until I read his name in this thread.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:58 AM)
It's all cliche. Blame the hitting coach who was a former weak hitting Sox player. I didn't even know who our current hitting coach was until I read his name in this thread.

Weak hitting Sox player? 24 HRs and .294 in 1984; 38 doubles, 24 HRs, 92 RBI in 1985....this is weak hitting?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
Sign him for prorated min, let him catch against most RHP, and then let Nieto get 200PA or so in Charlotte. That would be excellent all around.

Nieto can't go to Charlotte until next year unless the Sox acquire him outright from the Nationals.

QUOTE (lord chas @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 08:41 PM)
If the Sox make some deadline moves I hope we can get another catcher in the system

I wonder if there is a MLB team who is strong at catcher in their farm system. I think finding quality at this position is rare in modern day baseball. There's more Steve Yeagers than Thurman Munsons. If they are talented at the plate, most organizations would prefer to move them to a different position. It's not a desired or glamorous position among kids.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
Ah, he hasn't been up with the big club enough? I thought it wasn't the full year anymore.

I believe it is 1 full years worth of service time before he is eligible to be sent to the minors.

Hahn had a chance to get a catcher in the off season when multiple guys were available like Suzuki, Navarro, Hanigan and more if I remember right .Catchers must be treated like relief pitchers now. Looking for or spending valuable resources on them is just silly.

Even in a rebuild Flowers showed who and what he was last year. I was shocked when he wasn't non-tendered. Keeping him around because the pitchers feel good throwing to him is just as silly. You don't think they'd feel just as comfortable throwing to Suzuki, Navarro or Hanigan ?

The Sox would have been better off signing the best defensive catcher and living with the offense. I mean how many of the defensive catchers are as bad as Flowers offensively ?

I remember a thread from last year asking to predict the 2014 lineup and I had Navarro at catcher. Live and learn Hahn. DO not spend valuable resources on trying to get a catcher. There are plenty of other problem areas.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 02:54 PM)
I believe it is 1 full years worth of service time before he is eligible to be sent to the minors.

Confirmed.

Also, I'll tag this again - A look at the Sox internal catching options. Stats are a little stale now, but the basics in there all still apply.

At some point soon, I'd be all for sending Flowers away and giving Phegley one more shot, with Smith going to AAA. My only hesitation is, I am not sure how Phegley's defense has improved, if at all (or his pitcher handling). In any case, giving him a 2nd audition, splitting time with Nieto, should be OK for this non-contending team.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 04:24 PM)
Confirmed.

Also, I'll tag this again - A look at the Sox internal catching options. Stats are a little stale now, but the basics in there all still apply.

At some point soon, I'd be all for sending Flowers away and giving Phegley one more shot, with Smith going to AAA. My only hesitation is, I am not sure how Phegley's defense has improved, if at all (or his pitcher handling). In any case, giving him a 2nd audition, splitting time with Nieto, should be OK for this non-contending team.

Has phegley been putting up a constant low-.800's OPS this year or did he start off poorly and catch a groove lately?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 03:31 PM)
Has phegley been putting up a constant low-.800's OPS this year or did he start off poorly and catch a groove lately?

Neither. Started hot, cooled noticeably, now is roaring back again.

Also worth noting, just before his current hot streak, he was benched a couple games due to an unspecified "mental lapse", per manager Joel Skinner. Probably nothing, but thought I'd add that.