When Does Flowers Get Replaced As Everyday Catcher?

Feeky Magee

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 08:47 PM)
Flowers is leading the league in passed balls...

I'm sure there have been some all-star catchers and some good defensive catchers who have lead the league in passed balls. That doesn't mean much at all.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 12:28 AM)
Flowers is pretty sturdy defender back there. Isn't the catcher position pretty abysmal throughout baseball hitting wise? Somebody was touting McCann for the all star game and he's hitting .230 with a .289 on base percentage.

Obviously I'm down on Flowers the hitter, but it's nice to have a guy with a good arm back there.

average catcher line so far is 249/315/387

even in that s***, puck awful run environment for catchers Tyler Flowers manages to be quite a bit below average.

If Flowers hadn't had perhaps one of the luckiest (given his talent) two months of BABIP luck ever, he would probably be DFA.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 11:44 PM)
I'm sure there have been some all-star catchers and some good defensive catchers who have lead the league in passed balls. That doesn't mean much at all.

Why not? That's his job - to catch the ball. Does he make great blocks to compensate?

It seems to me it would be like fielding errors: lack of errors doesn't mean much; but making errors does.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 11:44 PM)

Of course it does especially when you combine it with him being one of the worst hitters in the league and none of his other metrics ranking too highly. Now people are calling him "good"? They are suffering from some Stockholm syndrome.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 07:40 AM)
Kurt Suzuki would be a good fill-in for 2015 while Nieto gets AAA at-bats next season.

I don't see any way the Twins don't re-sign him with the year he's had. But, not that there's any logic to it, he just seems like the exact type of player that the Sox would acquire only to see him put up a .220/.270/.330 line.

Flowers has to be better than was he has been doing. There is no way he is this bad. He's bad, just not Bartolo Colon bad offensively. I know he is very popular in the organization. He works hard and is a good guy. That gets you a longer rope.

I still think he would be a fine back up. Playing catcher regularly isn't like other positions. The beating, and just the wearing of the equipment on hot days, let alone other catcher responsibilities wears on you. It's another reason why a guy like AJP was more valuable than his numbers. They kept the below replacement off the field. If Nieto started catching 5 or 6 days a week at the major league level, he would most likely start looking ridiculous at this point in his career.

I do think though, there is a point when they have to say enough is enough. Maybe they are hoping Flowers can put something together at least good enough so he can keep his job until the roster expand. I think if they could send Nieto down, we would be seeing Phegley get a lot of time right now.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 08:02 PM)
9 for his last 100 (7 singles and 2 homers) with 6 walks and 47 strikeouts.

That's good for a line of .090/.148/.150

Hi everyone. I'm another nomad from the whitesox.com boards that were recently mutilated by an update.

I've got another triple slash: .121/.194/.136, 40.2 K%. That's lefties against Chris Sale this season. They compare favorably to Flowers. Maybe it's time to give Nieto an extra start each week or something. I don't think I can stomach Phegley again.

Somebody mentioned Kurt Suzuki for next year. I'd be okay with it. Not a bad stopgap if he could be had, but obviously to expect these kinds of numbers again would be optimistic.

I see no reason to replace him. This team is going nowhere, Nieto is not ready to play everyday. Just let T-Flo finish off the year, confirm he is not MLB material, then move on to the next one.

This.

Right now, the most important thing the Sox can do is develop young players. If Flowers' defensive skill as a catcher his helping the pitching staff develop, then you let him continue doing that the rest of the season.

In 2015, Nieto can go to AAA, Flowers can become the backup catcher and somebody else gets the starting role.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
This.

Right now, the most important thing the Sox can do is develop young players. If Flowers' defensive skill as a catcher his helping the pitching staff develop, then you let him continue doing that the rest of the season.

In 2015, Nieto can go to AAA, Flowers can become the backup catcher and somebody else gets the starting role.

the catching position is a premium position and find a player to man is hard. teams with catching prospects

are prob asking for a lot, too much for the sox to pay. getting one thru fa is maybe the route to go, however

the org may have to suffer with what they have. acquire thru trades, and draft until the sox can find one.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
DFA him and give Phegley his last gasp up here. There's 0 reason for Flowers to be here.

If you give Flowers a couple more hits while quadrupling his blunders you've got Phegley. Yes I know it sounds odd to say but I really do believe it could get even worse.

OTOH I really like the composure Nieto is shown. Since you're using up his service time anyway, might as well play him some more. See what happens. Honestly I didn't think he'd even be able to stick on the roster this long, but he's done well enough. Let him stretch it a bit further if he can.

Welcome

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 08:45 AM)
Hi everyone. I'm another nomad from the whitesox.com boards that were recently mutilated by an update.

I've got another triple slash: .121/.194/.136, 40.2 K%. That's lefties against Chris Sale this season. They compare favorably to Flowers.

That is simultaneously hilarious and sad.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 08:45 AM)

I've got another triple slash: .121/.194/.136, 40.2 K%. That's lefties against Chris Sale this season. They compare favorably to Flowers. Maybe it's time to give Nieto an extra start each week or something. I don't think I can stomach Phegley again.

Somebody mentioned Kurt Suzuki for next year. I'd be okay with it. Not a bad stopgap if he could be had, but obviously to expect these kinds of numbers again would be optimistic.

The best part of Kurt Suzuki is we wouldn't have to face him anymore. That guy hits ropes all over the park every time we see him.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 12:05 PM)
Lately he appears to be swinging the bat anywhere that the ball isn't.

The damn thing keeps moving on him. In fairness, he made a great play last night on the roller w bases loaded. Since the pitching staff is really on a roll lately, I doubt Robin will want any changes at catcher.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 10:52 AM)
George Kottaras is available.

At least he can take a walk.

Which is weird. In the minors, Flowers walked a ton. His walk rate is about half what it was. Maybe they just figured out they really didn't have to be too careful with him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 12:21 PM)
Which is weird. In the minors, Flowers walked a ton. His walk rate is about half what it was. Maybe they just figured out they really didn't have to be too careful with him.

I think it's the talent gap. Flowers seems like a classic AAAA player where he can feast on 85-88 MPH fastballs but 90-95 totally throws him off. When MLB pitchers figured out that he isn't good at hitting, they started coming at him more and he can't adjust because he doesn't have the talent to do so.