Road to .500 by the All-Star break

Buehrle>Wood

While last year I wanted to see us tank for that top pick, this year I'd much rather see improvement, and we have seen glimpses of it. I can only take losing baseball for so long before I tune out. How we've pitched lately has been encouraging, as well as signs of life from people not named Abreu.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 10:44 PM)
3 games under, 5 to play.

Wednesday: Sale vs TBA?- Chalk this up as a win. Boston doesn't look like they are trying in the least bit.

Thursday: Quintana vs Lester- Lester has been beastly this year but it's clear the offense behind him doesn't care again. Another W.

Friday: Noesi vs Kluber?- probably lose this one. :(

Saturday: Carroll vs Masterson?- Masterson has been nothing short of horrific this year. Carroll has been better but we'll call it a tossup.

Sunday: Danks vs Bauer?- Bauer sucks. Danks has been better. Easy W.

There you have it. The jinx of all jinx threads. 4-1 and back to .500.

Then when we get back we get to sweep Houston at home 3 games. Then we are in the thick of it...As well as screwing ourselves over for the trade deadline.

There's a good chance we lose Friday & Saturday for no other reason than I am traveling to Cleveland for the weekend and will be at the games. I swear the Sox are something like 2-10 in games I've attended

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 08:06 AM)
There's a good chance we lose Friday & Saturday for no other reason than I am traveling to Cleveland for the weekend and will be at the games. I swear the Sox are something like 2-10 in games I've attended

Saturday is probably a given just because it's Saturday. But a loss on Friday is totally on you.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 10:38 PM)
You mean the road to the 14th-18th draft pick in the 1st round....?

I'd rather they were 10 games under .500, improved the team with the best trades for prospects at the deadline and all the key players for next season were completely healthy/successful in Abreu, Sale, Quintana, Eaton and Avisail.

As a fan, a video game player, or a team extremely committed to a very long term rebuild - 4-6 years - this is a good philosophy to have.

I'm really glad the Sox don't have this mentality.

For the record, here are notable players picked in that 14-18 range that Caulfield dreads so much:

14: Jose Fernandez, Jason Heyward, Billy Butler, Jeff Weaver, Jason Varitek, Derrek Lee, Cliff Floyd, Tino Martinez, and, of course, Ron Karkovice

15: Stephen Drew, Scott Kazmir, Chase Utley, Chris Carpenter, and Jim Rice

16: Nick Swisher, Lance Berkman, Lance Parrish, Roberto Hernandez, Shawn Green

17: Roy Halladay, Cole Hamels, Gary Matthews Sr, Charles Nagy, AJ Pollock

18: Willie Wilson, Glenn Wilson. RA Dickey too, but he was a genuinely talented pitcher but was forced to change due to injury.

#18 has the worst history, but the best player in the majors right now went 25th overall, so it's not like there isn't talent there.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 08:06 AM)

Oh no, sorry to hear that

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 10:38 PM)
You mean the road to the 14th-18th draft pick in the 1st round....?

I'd rather they were 10 games under .500, improved the team with the best trades for prospects at the deadline and all the key players for next season were completely healthy/successful in Abreu, Sale, Quintana, Eaton and Avisail.

I'd call it the road to substantial improvement in a single offseason. Or the road to the fringes of what might be a core that's already worth adding free agents to next year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 07:35 AM)
For the record, here are notable players picked in that 14-18 range that Caulfield dreads so much:

14: Jose Fernandez, Jason Heyward, Billy Butler, Jeff Weaver, Jason Varitek, Derrek Lee, Cliff Floyd, Tino Martinez, and, of course, Ron Karkovice

15: Stephen Drew, Scott Kazmir, Chase Utley, Chris Carpenter, and Jim Rice

16: Nick Swisher, Lance Berkman, Lance Parrish, Roberto Hernandez, Shawn Green

17: Roy Halladay, Cole Hamels, Gary Matthews Sr, Charles Nagy, AJ Pollock

18: Willie Wilson, Glenn Wilson. RA Dickey too, but he was a genuinely talented pitcher but was forced to change due to injury.

#18 has the worst history, but the best player in the majors right now went 25th overall, so it's not like there isn't talent there.

Except what has happened when the White Sox have picked in this range...? Other than Chris Sale? Let's just say 10-19.

BTW, the White Sox still haven't won a Saturday home game all year (yet), right? The one victory was on the road I'm pretty sure. Has a team ever gone for an entire season without winning a home game on a certain day of the week over a modern-day, 162 game schedule?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:57 AM)
Except what has happened when the White Sox have picked in this range...? Other than Chris Sale? Let's just say 10-19.

"Look at what happens with their first round picks that don't turn into studs! THEY AREN'T STUDS!"

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 08:58 AM)
"Look at what happens with their first round picks that don't turn into studs! THEY AREN'T STUDS!"

I'll let Dick Allen list them if he wants to...

So we don't want to make any effort at all to compete for the playoffs/Wild Card while simultaneously we don't care about our draft pick/s next year, either?

MEHHHH....

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
I'll let Dick Allen list them if he wants to...

So we don't want to make any effort at all to compete for the playoffs/Wild Card while simultaneously we don't care about our draft pick/s next year, either?

MEHHHH....

The point is that there is good talent available in the middle of the first round. The fact that the Sox have sucked at finding it in the past is not a good reason that they should just not try, or that they never will be able to find it.

Analogy: Shaq sucked at free throws, but that doesn't mean he should have stopped trying to hit free throws, because they are still worth a point each if he can manage to hit them.

Edited by Eminor3rd

Would you all take a top ten draft pick even if it was caused Abreu having a terrible 2nd half that make people think he was "figured out".

No. Last year, outside of wanting to see Sale and Quintana pitch well, I wanted the team to lose as many games as possible to get a high pick.

This year, short of being buyers at the trade deadline, I want to see the team win as many games as possible because there are more players who need to develop/improve and I'm fine with a mid teens draft pick.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)
Would you all take a top ten draft pick even if it was caused Abreu having a terrible 2nd half that make people think he was "figured out".

Sure, if you can guarantee that he wasn't "figured out" and he kills it in 2015.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 05:42 PM)
Replace Flowers with AJ and they're in contention for the wildcard. Keep running Flowers out there and they can't be taken seriously.

Because playing a catcher with a .633 OPS is how you get taken seriously.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 04:44 PM)
Because playing a catcher with a .633 OPS is how you get taken seriously.

AJ is a bona fide major league catcher which Flowers is not. Even though he's on the down side of his career, he's still better better than Flowers and can handle the pitching staff. Plus brings intangibles that Flowers lacks. And he's a LH hitter which gives the Sox more balance.

The only thing that will stop the Sox from bringing him back is Ventura, which is a shame.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

There has not been much of a difference offensively with Pierzynski the superior hitter thus far. However, a rather small point but a valid one nonetheless, is that Pierzynski has thrown out just 9 of 47 (19%) potential base stealers while Flowers has thrown out 17 of 55 (31%). I don't have the pitch framing numbers handy, but I imagine those are fairly comparable.

I couldn't care less either way.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 05:58 PM)
Tie game, runners in scoring position, two outs in the ninth. Who would you rather see batting for the White Sox, AJ or Tyler?

Is that going to happen 15 times in the remainder of the year? Because if not, "AJ puts us in wildcard contention" is pretty laughable.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
There has not been much of a difference offensively with Pierzynski the superior hitter thus far. However, a rather small point but a valid one nonetheless, is that Pierzynski has thrown out just 9 of 47 (19%) potential base stealers while Flowers has thrown out 17 of 55 (31%). I don't have the pitch framing numbers handy, but I imagine those are fairly comparable.

I couldn't care less either way.

AJ Pierzynski is a Proven Closer™ and you know it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 05:03 PM)
Is that going to happen 15 times in the remainder of the year? Because if not, "AJ puts us in wildcard contention" is pretty laughable.

They have been getting zero, zilch production from Flowers lately, and they're still only 5.5 back of the WC.

Continuing to run Flowers out there is a slap in the face to fans who pay to see major league players. Flowers is not the answer going forward so why not admit it and go with someone like AJ until they get a better option for the future?