Road to .500 by the All-Star break

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 02:22 AM)
Today's game killed the .500 talk again. If we had a closer ....

Remember that we've talked about the whole closer situation in the past. There are more teams than we may think that go through similar situations. With a team that is not likely to contend, not having a true closer is not a huge problem. Last night's loss is one of the 80-90 losses this season. I wouldn't say it was because of the lack of a true closer, I would say it was because of a lack of a good bullpen.

3 games under, 5 to play.

Wednesday: Sale vs TBA?- Chalk this up as a win. Boston doesn't look like they are trying in the least bit.

Thursday: Quintana vs Lester- Lester has been beastly this year but it's clear the offense behind him doesn't care again. Another W.

Friday: Noesi vs Kluber?- probably lose this one. :(

Saturday: Carroll vs Masterson?- Masterson has been nothing short of horrific this year. Carroll has been better but we'll call it a tossup.

Sunday: Danks vs Bauer?- Bauer sucks. Danks has been better. Easy W.

There you have it. The jinx of all jinx threads. 4-1 and back to .500.

Then when we get back we get to sweep Houston at home 3 games. Then we are in the thick of it...As well as screwing ourselves over for the trade deadline.

You had to know this would happen.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 05:27 AM)
Remember that we've talked about the whole closer situation in the past. There are more teams than we may think that go through similar situations. With a team that is not likely to contend, not having a true closer is not a huge problem. Last night's loss is one of the 80-90 losses this season. I wouldn't say it was because of the lack of a true closer, I would say it was because of a lack of a good bullpen.

Arguably, if we had either Tanaka or the best closer in baseball (pick one), we'd be 2-4 maybe 6 games over .500 and right in the middle of the race.

Of course, we'd now have Tanaka on the DL and facing an uncertain future.

And Hahn shouldn't/couldn't have thought trading for an elite closer (and I'm not even sure who was available....I guess names like Rodney and Joe Nathan, Soria and Huston Street now) with Jones and Lindstrom and Belisario and Webb all SEEMINGLY capable of doing the job. At that point, nobody was close to sure Abreu was going to be an MVP candidate. Many were hoping for just a 775-825 OPS for his first big league season.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 05:37 AM)
You had to know this would happen.

That pretty much ensures a sweep for CLE. Because anytime we think we're a decent ballclub, heading back towards the .500 mark, that train gets derailed and we go back to "this team mostly sucks except for Sale/Abreu/Quintana."

And it wouldn't be much of a surprise with Lester pitching for Boston and their desperation to make one last run at the WC/AL East before the deadline...two losses in a row...the going to Jacobs Field, where we got crucified last season.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 03:22 AM)
Today's game killed the .500 talk again. If we had a closer ....

Have you seen what our former "closer" is doing over with the Diamondbacks?....yet you keep beating a dead horse.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 07:46 AM)
The closer the Sox had has the 2nd most blown saves in all of baseball and is very very close to losing his closer job in the desert.

This is funny. At least they've had one closer, we've had like 14 already.

I think believing that our pen wouldn't be substantially better with an established (now veteran) reliever like Reed is ridiculous. But that said I also think it is ridiculous to question the thought process behind the Reed trade. The Reed trade had to happen, Hahn didn't have a lot of bullets and so he had to do the best he could with what he had to work with.

But yeah, this team would be much better with Reed. It would also be much better with Lindstrom. It would also be much better with Jones. And it would have been considerably better had Scott Downs been the LHSU guy Hahn thought he had signed, had Belisario stayed in the RHSU role the whole time, etc. We're so terrible down in that pen that there's no way you could look at Reed and say we're fine without him. Just leaves more work for Hahn, however maybe Davidson turns around and at least becomes a trade chip, because if so we may still end up getting really good value out of Reed.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
Tie game, runners in scoring position, two outs in the ninth. Who would you rather see batting for the White Sox, AJ or Tyler?

I would put it this way:

You're a diehard Sox fan and you're watching a game with no expectations of contention whatsoever this year. Who would you rather see at the plate, AJ or Flowers?

I go AJ. I know Flowers is done here, Hahn almost nontendered the guy over $1M last offseason so that should say something. So if I'm not going to get a quality product anyway then at least give me a guy I like and can root for.

Say what you want about Ozzie Guillen, but the fact that he managed to keep AJ "mostly" in line and a productive player with the White Sox is turning out to have been quite the accomplishment.

He wore out his welcome in Minnesota (granted, Mauer was 90% of that), SF and Boston. No idea how we did in Texas last year in terms of clubhouse/chemistry, but that team also fell apart and drew lots of negative comments from the likes of Ian Kinsler, Michael Young and Nelson Cruz.