Futuresox midseason top 25?

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

List is under construction now, being written up. Hoping to put it out there the week of August 4th, split into two as usual (11-25, then 1-10 and full list). FYI, the way we do it, every voter submits a Top 30, and we do a voting/points system similar to college football polls. The voters this time around, in case you are curious, are danman31, Ozzie Ball, Chisoxfn, witesoxfan, Balta1701 and NorthSideSox72.

So, if YOU folks (not including the 6 official FS voters) were making a Top 30 list, who would it be?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 11:59 AM)
List is under construction now, being written up. Hoping to put it out there the week of August 4th, split into two as usual (11-25, then 1-10 and full list). FYI, the way we do it, every voter submits a Top 30, and we do a voting/points system similar to college football polls. The voters this time around, in case you are curious, are danman31, Ozzie Ball, Chisoxfn, witesoxfan, Balta1701 and NorthSideSox72.

So, if YOU folks (not including the 6 official FS voters) were making a Top 30 list, who would it be?

1. SP Carlos Rodon

2. SS Tim Anderson

3. 2B Micah Johnson

4. SP Francellis Montas

5. OF Courtney Hawkins

6. 3B Matt Davidson

7. SP Tyler Danish

8. 3B Trey Michalczewski

9. SS Carlos Sanchez

10. 1B Rangel Ravelo (despite reports, kid is good)

11. SP Chris Beck

12. SP Spencer Adams

13. OF Trayce Thompson

14. OF Jacob May

15. OF Micker Adolfo

16. 1B Keon Barnum

17. OF Adam Engel

18. SP James Dykstra

19. C Kevan Smith

20. SS Cleuluis Rondon

21. SP Mike Recchia

22. RP Andrew Mitchell

23. 1B Andy Wilkins

24. SP Jeffery Wendelken

25. SP Jordan Guerrero

26. SP Thad Lowry

27. SP Brandon Brennan

28. RP Kyle Hansen

29. 2B Joey DeMichele

30. C Brett Austin

While compiling this list, the system is definitely getting deeper, especially the pitching in the lower levels, like the recent draftees in Great Falls. Guys like Freudenberg, Clark, Bummer, Peter, Thomas, Robbins is encouraging.

And its pretty cool that guys that have graduated like Semien, Johnson (hopefully regains form), and Phegley that are still young enough to make an impact too. Semien I'm still extremely high on.

Edited by SoxPride18

Don't follow the minors as closely as I should but I'd go with.....

1. Rodon

2. Anderson

3. Johnson

4. Montas

5. Hawkins

6. Davidson

7. Danish

8. Trey M.

9. Adams

10. Beck

11. Micker

12. Ravelo

13. Dyksta

14. May

15. Engel

16. Saladino

17. Bassit

18. Lopez

19. Wilkins

20. Recchia

21. Fisher

22. Fry

23. Smith

24. Barnum

25. Mitchell

26. Coats

27. Thompson

28. Jirschele

29. Peter

30. Brewster (Like what I've read about the kid, think he could be a lefty out of the pen in the near future)

1. Carlos Rodon

2. Tim Anderson

3. Micah Johnson

4. Francellis Montas

5. Spencer Adams

6. Tyler Danish

7. Rangel Ravelo

8. Courtney Hawkins

9. Trey Michalczewski

10. Carlos Sanchez

11. Adam Engel

12. James Dykstra

13. Jacob May

14. Kevan Smith

15. Micker Adolfo

16. Chris Beck

17. Mike Recchia

18. Cleuluis Rondon

19. Tyler Saladino

20. Adam Lopez

21. Andy Wilkins

22. Omar Narvaez

23. Tony Bucciferro

24. Chris Bassitt

25. Michael Taylor

26. Jake Peter

27. Trayce Thompson

28. Eric Surkamp

29. Keon Barnum

30. Brett Austin

Other names of interest off the top of my head but not quite there/haven't seen enough/at too low a level: Taylor Thomspon, Jace Fry, Dane Stone, Luis Martinez, Brad Salgado, Jason Coats

Edited by Feeky Magee

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)
1. Carlos Rodon

2. Tim Anderson

3. Micah Johnson

4. Francellis Montas

5. Spencer Adams

6. Tyler Danish

7. Rangel Ravelo

8. Courtney Hawkins

9. Trey Michalczewski

10. Carlos Sanchez

11. Adam Engel

12. James Dykstra

13. Jacob May

14. Kevan Smith

15. Micker Adolfo

16. Chris Beck

17. Mike Recchia

18. Cleuluis Rondon

19. Tyler Saladino

20. Adam Lopez

21. Andy Wilkins

22. Omar Narvaez

23. Tony Bucciferro

24. Chris Bassitt

25. Michael Taylor

26. Jake Peter

27. Trayce Thompson

28. Eric Surkamp

29. Keon Barnum

30. Brett Austin

Other names of interest off the top of my head but not quite there/haven't seen enough/at too low a level: Taylor Thomspon, Jace Fry, Dane Stone, Luis Martinez, Brad Salgado, Jason Coats

You forgot Matt Davidson

For Funsies. Overall, I think we have many guys in the top 10 who has a strong chance of being solid regulars, and there are many intriguing talents in the bottom of the list to keep an eye on over next couple of years.

1. Rodon

2. Anderson

3. Micah Johnson

4. Montas

5. Danish

6. Hawkins

7. Sanchez

8. Adams

9. Davidson

10. Michalczewski

11. Ravelo

12. Wilkins

13. Beck

14. Bassit

15. May

16. Engel

17. Kevan Smith

18. Barnum

19. Thompson

20. Adolfo

21. Snodgress

22. Saladino

23. Rondon

24. Luis Martinez

25. Guerrero

26. Austin

27. Jace Fry

28. Jaye

29. Lopez

30. Mitchell

The next 10

31. Freudenberg

32. Coats

33. Narvaez

34. Recchia

35. Ortiz

36. Lowry

37. Robinson Leyer

38. Jake Peter

39. Salgado

40. Dykstra

The 2015 Watch List

Andre Wheeler

Zach Thompson

Johan Cruz

Antonio Rodriguez

Jose Barraza

Kevin Escorcia

Nelson Acosta

Ramon Beltre

I am surprised to see some guys put Dykstra over Bassit on their list or leaving Bassit off entirely. Bassit is almost 2 years older than Dykstra, but has proven he can handle Double A, and is generally considered to have better stuff. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get invited to ST to battle for the 5th starter spot next year along with Beck, Snodgress and Johnson.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 01:48 PM)
I am surprised to see some guys put Dykstra over Bassit on their list or leaving Bassit off entirely. Bassit is almost 2 years older than Dykstra, but has proven he can handle Double A, and is generally considered to have better stuff. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get invited to ST to battle for the 5th starter spot next year along with Beck, Snodgress and Johnson.

Dykstra was the much higher draft pick, is 2 years younger, and his K:BB rates are incredible. Last year in A+, Bassitt, struck out 22.8% and walked 9.5%, at the same level this year Dykstra is striking out 23.8% and walking 2.4%, after putting up pretty much the same ratio at Kanny. When Bassitt was the same age as Dykstra is now at the same level, he struck out 18.6% (5.2% less) and walked 13.4% (11% more).

As for stuff, Dykstra sits 91-93, has a sinker with good sink, has a much improved changeup, a decent curve and immaculate control. Bassitt has about the same velo (maybe tops out higher but also occasionally seems to sit lower), has a good slider to righties, an inconsistent curve to lefties, doesn't really throw a change and has decent control. I don't really see the gap in stuff that makes up for the gap in performance.

Edited by Feeky Magee

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
Dykstra was the much higher draft pick, is 2 years younger, and his K:BB rates are incredible. Last year in A+, Bassitt, struck out 22.8% and walked 9.5%, at the same level this year Dykstra is striking out 23.8% and walking 2.4%, after putting up pretty much the same ratio at Kanny. When Bassitt was the same age as Dykstra is now at the same level, he struck out 18.6% (5.2% less) and walked 13.4% (11% more).

As for stuff, Dykstra sits 91-93, has a sinker with good sink, has a much improved changeup, a decent curve and immaculate control. Bassitt has about the same velo (maybe tops out higher but also occasionally seems to sit lower), has a good slider to righties, an inconsistent curve to lefties, doesn't really throw a change and has decent control. I don't really see the gap in stuff that makes up for the gap in performance.

It's too early to rank Dykstra in the top 15 or even top 20. He's only pitched 20 innings above Low A so far and turns 24 at the end of the year.

Given he's a sinker baller with good command, you would like to see if he can continue to miss bat while maintaining the same command in the upper levels before really believing in him. Hitter are hitting in the .260's against him this year, that's a split between mostly Low A and High A. While Bassit has limited his opponents to a BA of .220's in his career.

I also wouldn't bank on Dykstra's keeping up K%. It's easy to get the less experienced hitters to strikeout in the lower level with good command of your pitches, but without any true "out" pitch or any plus offerings, I highly doubt that he can keep up that K%, unless he takes a giant step forward in his secondary offering.

I'd like to see more from him in Double A next year before putting him in the top 15, as we have plenty of guys who are more accomplished than him or has a higher ceiling in the system.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 02:21 PM)
It's too early to rank Dykstra in the top 15 or even top 20. He's only pitched 20 innings above Low A so far and turns 24 at the end of the year.

Given he's a sinker baller with good command, you would like to see if he can continue to miss bat while maintaining the same command in the upper levels before really believing in him. Hitter are hitting in the .260's against him this year, that's a split between mostly Low A and High A. While Bassit has limited his opponents to a BA of .220's in his career.

I also wouldn't bank on Dykstra's keeping up K%. It's easy to get the less experienced hitters to strikeout in the lower level with good command of your pitches, but without any true "out" pitch or any plus offerings, I highly doubt that he can keep up that K%, unless he takes a giant step forward in his secondary offering.

I'd like to see more from him in Double A next year before putting him in the top 15, as we have plenty of guys who are more accomplished than him or has a higher ceiling in the system.

He's only pitched that much above low-A because he was a senior draftee and pitched late ino his senior year, plus I think the Sox were a little too slow to move him up to high-A. This is his first proper year in pro baseball and he was exceptional at low-A and has been even better at high-A. And he has improved his secondary stuff, as I said his change-up is getting good reviews and Stoltz thinks his curve can be his best pitch. He's already been getting buzz as a fringe prospect in scouting circles, more so than Bassitt. I'd be surprised if he didn't put up better numbers than Bassitt in Birmingham when he goes up.

I don't get all of you guys rating Davidson so high. I'm trying, but it just doesn't compute. He is hitting .200 with a ton of strikeouts and is clearly regressing from 2013, and those numbers were not so hot. This is his 6th pro season. He has 2650 at bats as a pro -- almost 3000 plate appearances. Not a small sample size. What do you guys need to see in order to put him further down on your list, or gone completely?

Edited by oldsox

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
I don't get all of you guys rating Davidson so high. I'm trying, but it just doesn't compute. He is hitting .200 with a ton of strikeouts and is clearly regressing from 2013, and those numbers were not so hot. This is his 6th pro season. He has 2650 at bats as a pro -- almost 3000 plate appearances. Not a small sample size. What do you guys need to see in order to put him further down on your list, or gone completely?

First full season of A ball hit 272 had 18 HRs and 90 RBIs

Another year of A ball (age 20) hit 270 with 20 HRs and 106 RBIs

AA (age 21) hit 261 with 23 HRs and 76 RBIs

AAA (age 22) hit 280 with 17 HRs and 74 RBIs

AAA with White Sox (age 23) hitting 201 with 17 HRs and 41 RBIs

Power is still there, still very young and has proven track record. Could be just a down year. So you are completely insane if you think he just completely sucks now because of one bad year. He'll be fine.

Least surprising post ever.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 03:47 PM)

He's 23 years old. I continue to be amazed how you just completely avoid age pretty much every single time any prospect is discussed.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 02:36 PM)
He's only pitched that much above low-A because he was a senior draftee and pitched late ino his senior year, plus I think the Sox were a little too slow to move him up to high-A. This is his first proper year in pro baseball and he was exceptional at low-A and has been even better at high-A. And he has improved his secondary stuff, as I said his change-up is getting good reviews and Stoltz thinks his curve can be his best pitch. He's already been getting buzz as a fringe prospect in scouting circles, more so than Bassitt. I'd be surprised if he didn't put up better numbers than Bassitt in Birmingham when he goes up.

Actually, Bassitt has been considered as a sleeper by many in the scouting circle for quite some time now. It's just that he's easily forgotten given he's already 25 years old and missed the first half of the season. He has the potential to be a mid rotation starter, if not a high leverage reliever. Here's an in depth scouting report of his, and it's a good read if you have time.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/chris-bas...ching-prospect/

And I would take Dykstra's draft spot with a huge grain of salt, as NSS pointed out, he was signed for dirt cheap, the draft position was a by product of the new draft slot system.

A few years ago, there was a fella in the system by the name of Stephen Sauer, also a sinker baller working in the 90's MPH. He had a really good campaign as 23 year old in Low A, with similar BB% and K/BB ratio as Dykstra, but he topped out in A+ and was out of baseball shortly. Not saying Sauer has the same kind of secondary stuff as Dykstra, but I wouldn't rank him high on the list just based on his raw numbers, as sinker ballers (especially more experienced ones) can offset the fact that they do not have any plus stuff by commanding their pitches and limiting their BB% in the lower level.

Now, if Dykstra has truely improved his secondary offering like you mentioned, and can perform in the same fashion in a higher level, then he should be considered a Top 15 prospect. Right now it seems a little premature to put him ahead of guys like Beck and Bassit.

You also need to consider tools, not just stats when evaluating a prospect. He's a 23 year old 3B who brings plus power and plays good defense at the hot corner, and is very age appropriate for Triple A. That alone puts him ahead of many prospects. He may never hit better than .220 in the majors, but at the same time if he can hit 20 HRs and play good defense at third, he can be a good bench player and stick around for a few years.

Simply put, he has a higher ceiling and floor than many prospects in our system.

Just an FYI, we do have a preliminary list ready. Regarding the time line, I think we're going to hold off on it until after the deadline in case the Sox make any additions that will need to be added.

I bet you guys will never guess who's #1 :)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 04:40 PM)
Just an FYI, we do have a preliminary list ready. Regarding the time line, I think we're going to hold off on it until after the deadline in case the Sox make any additions that will need to be added.

I bet you guys will never guess who's #1 :)

Andy Wilkins