Sox officially sign Rodon

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Tmar @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 08:47 AM)
The two guys drafted before him, and everybody after him too, took less money than greedon and signed right away (aiken was gonna sign right away remember, before he failed that physical). So they were more interested in signing and playing baseball, meanwhile rodon was more interested in getting the most money he could. Almost the exact definition of greed. Add in the fact that he hasn't pitched 1 professional inning yet he still was asking for more money. Go earn it first kid

I understand where you're coming from and I don't intent to come off as sarcastic but, welcome to modern baseball.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 06:22 PM)
If you got down on Carlos Rodon because of his contract negotiations you need to get your f***ing head on straight. This could easily be his only chance to set himself up for the rest of his life. He's a tweak of the elbow to ruing the day he got 0.5-1 million dollars less in bonus just so the few people paying any attention would like him more

Exactly. And as a NC State alumni I know people who are close to him and he's a great kid, very down to earth. There's a business side that we sometimes forget.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 07:20 AM)
Baseball is different than other industries. Every time a player sets a new a level, the players know it's god for everyone. Not the same for a company that makes widgets.

The premise of my argument is everyone knows everyone else's salary. If you knew the guy sitting across from you was making more than you, you would care. The emotion is the same.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 08:53 PM)
Next time you ask your boss for a raise, I think it's fair to call you greedy.

It's a business and I see no problem with a young player trying to get his max worth, especially given that there's no guarantee he ever pitches in the majors or sees another big contract. Injuries happen, especially with pitchers.

Funny you say that, I've never asked for a raise in my life.

ok, I now have some time avail where I can write this out the right way. I am here for 2 reason, first

to eat some crow and say that I never thought that Rodon would sign or should I say allow Scott, his agent,

to convince him to sign. the money is that factor and I really thought scott will hold Rodon out for spite

and make a issue on the slot money. who knows he may do that with the other 1 rounders.

posters calling him greedy or not, is the right way to describe this. it is over and done with, lets start that chapter

of Rodon as a sox player.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 07:49 PM)
Prediction.

Rodon's first start at Winston-Salem gets a longer game thread than this weekend's Indians/Sox games.

wow, I must have missed something, is Rodon starting anytime soon?

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 02:58 PM)
wow, I must have missed something, is Rodon starting anytime soon?

Last I read he would be working with coaches at Winston this week and after that possibly working out of the pen to manage this years work load. Read that on the Sox site earlier today.

Imagine if players didn't care what they earned. All the best players could just agree on a city and move there because winning is the only thing that matters. They shjould be more like regular workers who accept jobs without even knowing what they will earn. :lol:

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 08:24 PM)
Last I read he would be working with coaches at Winston this week and after that possibly working out of the pen to manage this years work load. Read that on the Sox site earlier today.

thanks I missed that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 04:29 PM)
Is there a place to watch Dash games online?

www.milb.com

But not sure how many of the Dash games are televised. Usually they have all the AA and AAA games for sure...and you can always get the home and away radio for free as well for each game.

Not sure what the milb.tv subscription price is these days, but I'm sure it's affordable and discounted for the 2nd half of the season....essentially only 1 1/2 months to go now from mid-July to the end of August and then league playoffs the first couple of weeks of September.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
ok, I now have some time avail where I can write this out the right way. I am here for 2 reason, first

to eat some crow and say that I never thought that Rodon would sign or should I say allow Scott, his agent,

to convince him to sign. the money is that factor and I really thought scott will hold Rodon out for spite

and make a issue on the slot money. who knows he may do that with the other 1 rounders.

posters calling him greedy or not, is the right way to describe this. it is over and done with, lets start that chapter

of Rodon as a sox player.

Why would you think that though? Boras is a good agent. Holding out Rodon would not have been advantageous for the client. With the new draft rules, it was always a foregone conclusion that Rodon would be signing.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 01:29 PM)
Why would you think that though? Boras is a good agent. Holding out Rodon would not have been advantageous for the client. With the new draft rules, it was always a foregone conclusion that Rodon would be signing.

it is clearly subjective, we may never agree nor will one will convince the other. I can accept that, most may not, however

saying that, my prob with Scott B, is how he does it. the subject of doing it for the client sometimes doesn't wash for me. lets

assume and I am saying this for an example for this discussion Rodon. Would Rodon have held out for the sum of let say

$300,000-500,000 usd, even knowing that the sox went slot and over to sign him? he and his camp may not like the slot

allotted money, but those are the new guidelines. It was done to help all, I know it is not the total final amount.

using the it as leverage to force more money is what I have the problem in this situation. I am not going to use a lot of

maybe examples to go in the realm of "What if" stories or examples. the sox played by the rules and went

overslot money, the offer is over slot, trying to max the salary and not caring about the ability for the sox to sign anyone

else is my prob.

I also blame the sox org, they knew what it was like to deal with BorAss, and they still went to the well and did it again.

this time Rodon did sign and everyone came out happy...... meaning sox and Rodon camp. for me, this is closed and

I am going to look forward to sox new future with Rodon pitching his best for the org.

I am done. Peace.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 07:57 AM)
it is clearly subjective, we may never agree nor will one will convince the other. I can accept that, most may not, however

saying that, my prob with Scott B, is how he does it. the subject of doing it for the client sometimes doesn't wash for me. lets

assume and I am saying this for an example for this discussion Rodon. Would Rodon have held out for the sum of let say

$300,000-500,000 usd, even knowing that the sox went slot and over to sign him? he and his camp may not like the slot

allotted money, but those are the new guidelines. It was done to help all, I know it is not the total final amount.

using the it as leverage to force more money is what I have the problem in this situation. I am not going to use a lot of

maybe examples to go in the realm of "What if" stories or examples. the sox played by the rules and went

overslot money, the offer is over slot, trying to max the salary and not caring about the ability for the sox to sign anyone

else is my prob.

I also blame the sox org, they knew what it was like to deal with BorAss, and they still went to the well and did it again.

this time Rodon did sign and everyone came out happy...... meaning sox and Rodon camp. for me, this is closed and

I am going to look forward to sox new future with Rodon pitching his best for the org.

I am done. Peace.

That's the team's job, not Boras' or even Rodon's.

In the end, the White Sox and Hahn had that high school pitcher who'd already had TJ surgery and was a Univ of Missouri recruit as leverage, but he was always just a fallback position, where in the very worst case scenario, they could sign him (instead of Rodon) and claim some sort of moral victory, but it would have been a very hollow one for Hahn.

In the end, they signed their 2-10 round pick guys right away...and they should have known from the very beginning what it was going to take to get him signed. As it is, they're paying a financial/tax penalty, but not losing draft picks, so both sides can live on to fight another day with out anyone's pride being damaged too much.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 08:57 AM)

else is my prob.

I am done. Peace.

Do Pepsi employees take pay cuts so they can win market share from Coke? The owners, not the players, have created a system where players have to negotiate their contracts. It's an adversarial process. The team doesn't give a rip about the players, as soon as the team has the advantage, they use it. How many Sox players have retired while playing for the Sox? I don't recall Thomas being greedy, he accepted less than what he could have earned on the open market. What did that loyalty get him?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 12:26 PM)
Oh no, almost 7 million! Isn't that close to the price of Keppinger & Downs for only 1 season? Who cares, Rodon is a cheap lottery ticket with pretty good odds. Signed him cheap. If Rodon was a Cuban what do you think the bidding would reach?

He got a $6.75 mil signing bonus right? I think if he was cuban the bonus would reach...$6.75 million.