Guys That Should Be Interested in If Contending (

Jon Papelbon, PHI

AJ Pierzynski, BOS

Neal Cotts, TEX

Joakim Soria, TEX

Jason Frasor, TEX

Oliver Perez, ARI

Houston Street, COL

I would really only want AJ if we can sign him as a cheap FA for a 1-2 year deal, Papelbon has been my favorite closer of this century besides Jenks so I'd always welcome him, obviously need a closer, Cotts can be acquired for next to nothing but Soria and Frasor and Street would need bigger packages, and I've loved Perez since his starting days and think we would improve our bullpen immediately with quality depth

Selling Wise I think Dunn and Belisario (if possible) must be moved no matter what, Dunn really can't get much in return and Belisario might not even gain interest but they must be shopped. De Aza probably should be shopped as well as Garcia is returning soon hopefully and the OF is already crowded, hopefully he can net a decent return. Finally, I've never bee na real big fan of Danks up until the last 2 months, his numbers have been great since returning from surgery but if we get the right offer (A prospect, B prospect, 2 low level prospects) I'd be all in to move him. Our rotation is and will be SouthPaw heavy, moving him opens up roster space, salary relief (for acquiring a RHSP), and can net solid prospects in return

Just a few BS quick deals I thought of:

Dunn to NYY in exchange for salary relief and Low A RHSP Brady Lail

Belisario to CIN in exchange for AA RHP Carlos Gonzales and AAA 3B Juan Silverio

De Aza to ATL in exchange for RHP Shae Simmons

Danks to NYY in exchange for A+ RHP Luis Severino, AA C/OF Peter O'Brien, A LHP Caleb Smith, and AA LHP Dan Carmena

Danks to PIT in exchange for AAA RHP Nick Kingham (Imagine Sale, Rodon, Quintana, Beck, Kingham), A OF Jacoby Jones, and A RHP Buddy Borden

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 11:30 AM)
Guys we should move:

Adam Dunn

Gordon Beckham

Tyler Flowers

Guys we could move for right deal

John Danks

Dayan Viciedo

Alexei Ramirez

Hector Noesi

I pretty much agree. I don't see them trading Flowers, though. DFA'd? Sure. But, they'll have to have someone else in place (AJ?)

I think Dunn and Beckham will be moved, and Danks if the return package is decent enough. I'd be surprised to see Alexei traded, but if Hahn gets the right deal, it's possible.

Flowers nets nothing - no reason to move him.

Beckham should be moved - he's replaceable with what we have in the minors.

We should get a moderate prospect for Dunn or Belisario.

We should be open on Danks, but I don't think that he yields much - we'll see.

See what Viciedo can bring.

I would market Alexei - he could bring back a good return. He's got a good contract situation (a nice 1.5 years with an option). and he's a good player and there are teams in need.

I wouldn't trade Noesi because I don't think we'd get much for him. He's looking like a good #5 down the road.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 12:33 PM)
Flowers just to get off the roster in my opinion lol.

Noesi could net 2 low A pitchers I believe. He has pitched well with the Sox.

That would be dumb. You can't dump flowers until you have a better option. Flowers last year in AAA at Charlotte he hit .260. This year at Charlotte Phegley is hitting .250. What they can do is give Nieto more games but obviously the staff feels Flowers handles the pitchers better or they already would have done that.

Papelbon is a great closer but makes Adam Dunn type money. Are you sure you want to pay him $13 Mil??? Reed was making $550,000

Must be moved:

Dunn

(If off DL) Lindstrom

(If off DL) Paulino

Belisario

De Aza

The first three because they are not under team control beyond this season and the other two because they are almost worthless, but there is at least a slim chance that somebody might be interested. For any of these five, the Sox should take the best deal possible before July 31. De Aza and Belisario are both likely to be nontendered anyway if they can't be traded.

Should be shopped but don't absolutely have to be moved:

Beckham

Viciedo

Try to get good value for these guys, but there is also the chance they can bring value during an offseason trade so don't dump them just to dump them.

Don't shop them but listen to offers:

Danks

Ramirez

Both guys are under team control through 2016 and have put in good enough performances to be considered valuable pieces of a contending team in the 2015-16 time frame. Only give these guys up if a premium offer is received.

Please don't mention this guy as a trade candidate:

Flowers

He is worthless. Nobody will take him. Just let him finish out the year and then nontender him.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 12:17 PM)
Don't shop them but listen to offers:

Danks

Ramirez

Both guys are under team control through 2016 and have put in good enough performances to be considered valuable pieces of a contending team in the 2015-16 time frame. Only give these guys up if a premium offer is received.

Couldn't agree more. Danks in particular is a guy who I feel has more value to the Sox than they'd get back in a deal. Dumping his salary is nice, but to what end? To open another hole in the rotation? We need some major league arms and he is one.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 12:21 PM)
Moves that must be done:

Hokey Pokey

Right leg in

Right leg out

Right leg in, shaken all about

Do the Hokey Pokey (turn yourself around)

This is very accurate, because that IS what it's all about.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 12:54 PM)
That would be dumb. You can't dump flowers until you have a better option. Flowers last year in AAA at Charlotte he hit .260. This year at Charlotte Phegley is hitting .250. What they can do is give Nieto more games but obviously the staff feels Flowers handles the pitchers better or they already would have done that.

Papelbon is a great closer but makes Adam Dunn type money. Are you sure you want to pay him $13 Mil??? Reed was making $550,000

Absolutely not, just need a closer really bad, really hoping Jenks can make a comeback somehow

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 01:19 PM)
Danks is NOT worth anything like those prospects.

You'd be surprised, he's under control through 2016, pitching great at the moment, and isn't even 30...NYY is desperate for quality starting now too, really desperate, I'll admit maybe my propositions are a little too high but an actual deal would be right around there

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 01:41 PM)
You'd be surprised, he's under control through 2016, pitching great at the moment, and isn't even 30...NYY is desperate for quality starting now too, really desperate, I'll admit maybe my propositions are a little too high but an actual deal would be right around there

I hope Hahn uses that exact phrase when he calls around on Danks -- Orwell would be proud. John Danks' xFIP (I know, not the end all be all) is 4.76. His ERA+ is 97. He's a 1-2 WAR pitcher, aka a decent 4th or a really good 5th. He's overpaid by about 4-6 million a year and oh yea he had a serious shoulder problem not long ago.

You could perhaps net a prospect in the 5-15 range from a mediocre system (aka New York's) at absolute best for him and you'd have to probably send 5 million or so along with it.

Personally I'd rather just keep him and see if he can continue to evolve. I'm not very hopeful but unless someone is willing to just take all his salary and/or wildly overpay in prospects, I'd keep him.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)
I hope Hahn uses that exact phrase when he calls around on Danks -- Orwell would be proud. John Danks' xFIP (I know, not the end all be all) is 4.76. His ERA+ is 97. He's a 1-2 WAR pitcher, aka a decent 4th or a really good 5th. He's overpaid by about 4-6 million a year and oh yea he had a serious shoulder problem not long ago.

You could perhaps net a prospect in the 5-15 range from a mediocre system (aka New York's) at absolute best for him and you'd have to probably send 5 million or so along with it.

Personally I'd rather just keep him and see if he can continue to evolve. I'm not very hopeful but unless someone is willing to just take all his salary and/or wildly overpay in prospects, I'd keep him.

Remember when he started on Opening Day? Not too long ago he was our ace, extended for 13 million a season for five years, and considered one of the best lefties (I don't remember that but Michael Kay says it all the time when ChiSox play NYY)

I just saw him as the 6th top trade chip for this year's deadline yesterday too somewhere

The need is there and Hahn can take major advantage of it

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)
Remember when he started on Opening Day? Not too long ago he was our ace, extended for 13 million a season for five years, and considered one of the best lefties (I don't remember that but Michael Kay says it all the time when ChiSox play NYY)

I just saw him as the 6th top trade chip for this year's deadline yesterday too somewhere

I remember that time well, it was before he tore he shoulder capsule.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 01:46 PM)

Not too long ago, no. But it was also one shoulder surgery ago. He's not that pitcher anymore and while he's been better this season, it seems you're overestimating his value.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 12:41 PM)

The problem is his salary -- there's no surplus value there. I think the O'Brien package without Severino is more realistic. Maybe a bit more if we pick up most of the tab. Kingham, though, I can't imagine would ever be in the conversation.

But I hope you're right, haha.