Foul Weather Fans

jasonxctf

did anyone else get that survey last night from the White Sox?? About the idea for "Foul Weather Fans" for next April??

Personally, I dont like the idea/concept. To me, it has the underlying feeling of an insult. Especially to a significant portion of the fan base. I'm sure that's not their intention. But it could be misread as that.

Aren't ALL sox fans considered "foul weather fans" though? I mean, a "fair weather fan" is one whose rooting interest fades when team success fades.

Since the Sox have been a cellar dweller for what, 5 years now, all of us who are "fan enough" to register for an account on a message board and argue with each other over things like Gordon Beckham's trade value or Adam Dunn's ISO and OPS+ ..... are in some way a "foul weather fan".

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 09:53 AM)
i dont like the idea of having the fan base designated into... you're a better fan then someone else.

We need a big tent, not a smaller one.

I didn't read into the "insult" part at all. Not sure many would and I'm surprised that's how you took it. I would not care one bit if someone has a foul weather t shirt or hat and I didn't. That's not what they were going for anyway, it's to try to drive better April attendance.

I posted about it in the attendance thread already on some ideas to get more people to April games. It's a tough sell, but give them credit for trying to float ideas and show concern.

That was the gist of my response, many Sox fans know they are going to attend around X games per season, so why not wait until it warms up a bit? April games in 40 degree weather, when there are what 65ish other ones outside of April, aren't worth going to for most people, and how can you blame them? They are still making the same amount of games, just going later.

I said one thing to try to help would be not only to continue comps, but to maybe comp a May/June/July/August game for any April game bought, or something along those lines. Or greatly discount the tickets, or parking, or some sort of concession voucher. If April games are generally the same in price and benefits as a June game, you can figure out which one most people will pick.

Edited by IlliniKrush

Ha ha, what a horrible name for a promotion. Brooks Boyer can hammer a 12" railroad tie spike straight into asphalt without a pilot hole simply by using his own forehead.

Why don't you call it like "Arctic April/April in Alaska" etc. something like that and offer Sox winter gloves to the first X fans, or have Southpaw dress like Santa or something, if you want to mock the s***ty weather and try to turn it around into a reason to attend. You can spend 10 mins and can probably come up with a laundry list of better ideas than that. LOL Sox have probably been working on this for months.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 07:44 PM)
Ha ha, what a horrible name for a promotion. Brooks Boyer can hammer a 12" railroad tie spike straight into asphalt without a pilot hole simply by using his own forehead.

Why don't you call it like "Arctic April/April in Alaska" etc. something like that and offer Sox winter gloves to the first X fans, or have Southpaw dress like Santa or something, if you want to mock the s***ty weather and try to turn it around into a reason to attend. You can spend 10 mins and can probably come up with a laundry list of better ideas than that. LOL Sox have probably been working on this for months.

Wow, I actually like arctic April, along with the mittens idea. Certainly a billion times better than what they come up with. That s*** sounds horrible.

It would probably be best to come up with a theme that doesn't insult White Sox fans (because you know when it doesn't work well...it will be used to mock the Sox and their fans) or insult the city of Chicago.

For example....let's say their were lots of mosquitos in your city because of the heat and humidity, would you make a promotion titled "Mosquito Mondays" for braving the possibility of being bitten to see the Sox play?

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 09:33 AM)
And the special recognition appears to be a Hat and T-Shirt to wear around town that says Foul Weather Fan.

I don't see why anyone would be offended at the promotion. If it helps entice people to go to foul weathered games fine. I don't however, find a t-shirt and appropriate giveaway here. Stick with the theme and upgrade.