2015 MLB Draft

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 12, 2015 -> 04:21 PM)
Funkhouser seems to be the exact thing that the Sox tend to go after. Great FB, solid secondary pitches that should develop into plus, just needs a little refinement to reach his ceiling. Plus being a local kid really helps as well. Unless he is gone, I would be surprised if he is not the pick. If he is gone, the Sox may roll the dice and go underslot on Matuella and offer him $1.4M. Since he is injured the Sox are only required to give him 40% of slot value to get compensation if he does not sign. If he does, you have a guy that was the pre-season #1 overall pick (two years in a row) at a discount and can use the $2M saved to get some high end talent that slips due to signablitiy. If he doesn't sign you have two first round picks, including #9 overall, in what figures to be a much better draft next season.

the one thing i like about mock draft or opinions on prospects, no one is right. it is just opinions that add to another way of thinking.

many thanks for your input.

i do like you under-slot idea to save 2 mil.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ May 12, 2015 -> 11:36 AM)
many thanks for your good words. i do not have the answers to everything. but i am looking at the team weakness and their needs.

the pitchers that will be available, i thought long and hard, but is it worth getting a pitcher and let the weakness go unanswered?

the pen as of now, have some good arms, i am thinking missing a yr or drafting at the lower level for pitchers can be done. a 3b or a cf'er/of'er who can hit, and is in college can be the pick of choice.

many thanks

One thing the Sox can do is take the BPA in June. If the Sox are out of contention in July, they can make a few trades using their major/minor league players to address the organizations weaknesses and hopefully bring back talent that could possibly help in the near future. Of course there are a few major league players that need to increase their value first.

My two biggest concerns are C and 3B. 3B is especially frustrating because I absolutely loved the Davidson acquisition and was telling the wife all about it the day it happened. She was laughing at me for being so giddy. Oops, that one has not turned out so well. Though I still cling to hope. :pray

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 12, 2015 -> 11:21 AM)
Funkhouser seems to be the exact thing that the Sox tend to go after. Great FB, solid secondary pitches that should develop into plus, just needs a little refinement to reach his ceiling. Plus being a local kid really helps as well. Unless he is gone, I would be surprised if he is not the pick. If he is gone, the Sox may roll the dice and go underslot on Matuella and offer him $1.4M. Since he is injured the Sox are only required to give him 40% of slot value to get compensation if he does not sign. If he does, you have a guy that was the pre-season #1 overall pick (two years in a row) at a discount and can use the $2M saved to get some high end talent that slips due to signablitiy. If he doesn't sign you have two first round picks, including #9 overall, in what figures to be a much better draft next season.

Law and McDaniel both have them on Illinois LHP Tyler Jay as well.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ May 12, 2015 -> 12:08 PM)
One thing the Sox can do is take the BPA in June. If the Sox are out of contention in July, they can make a few trades using their major/minor league players to address the organizations weaknesses and hopefully bring back talent that could possibly help in the near future. Of course there are a few major league players that need to increase their value first.

My two biggest concerns are C and 3B. 3B is especially frustrating because I absolutely loved the Davidson acquisition and was telling the wife all about it the day it happened. She was laughing at me for being so giddy. Oops, that one has not turned out so well. Though I still cling to hope. :pray

BPA is a myth in relation to the MLB draft. Sure everyone once in a while there is a sure fire guy like Strasburg or Harper that jump out as the best players in their draft, but other than that it is always a weighted argument. The factors that need to be balanced are players floors and ceilings, risk of a player meeting/not meeting their ceiling. Thing there are things like organizational and cultural (style of baseball) fit.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 12, 2015 -> 12:28 PM)
Law and McDaniel both have them on Illinois LHP Tyler Jay as well.

I saw that as well, not sure that I like the idea of Jay that high. He has pretty good stuff but has been in the bullpen his entire college career and has a build that would indicate he will be a bullpen arm in the future. If they are viewing him as a bullpen piece to help them this season (like Finnegan) that could make sense.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 12, 2015 -> 06:41 PM)
BPA is a myth in relation to the MLB draft. Sure everyone once in a while there is a sure fire guy like Strasburg or Harper that jump out as the best players in their draft, but other than that it is always a weighted argument. The factors that need to be balanced are players floors and ceilings, risk of a player meeting/not meeting their ceiling. Thing there are things like organizational and cultural (style of baseball) fit.

I saw that as well, not sure that I like the idea of Jay that high. He has pretty good stuff but has been in the bullpen his entire college career and has a build that would indicate he will be a bullpen arm in the future. If they are viewing him as a bullpen piece to help them this season (like Finnegan) that could make sense.

re: bold--- wow!!!! excellent analysis.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ May 12, 2015 -> 06:08 PM)

trade a player who they got in fa rt. i do not know. i know it is done, but i still think it is a cheesey thing to do. but you are right, doing that, will get good players in rtn.

edit, btw, i was never a fan of that trade, giving up a pitcher with success, for a prospect, and unproven one at that was too much.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 12, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)

I'm sure they'd be looking to develop him as a starting pitcher. Could start in the pen though like Sale and Rodon. He has 3 pitches and the fact that he doesn't have a ton of innings could be seen as a good thing actually.

with anyone mock up to recently, they had Arz either picking Tate or Rodgers.

take Tate out of this equation. now Rodger's, am i missing something here?? why would someone sacrifice getting a talent of Rodgers, for saving money and drafting, not even a fitting alternative, but for a long shot?? i really don't understand this.

here is up to now, GB%

- Walker Buehler: 63.7%

- Nathan Kirby: 64.0%

- Kyle Funkhouser: 55.4%

- Dillon Tate: 68.4%

- Carson Fulmer: 46.1%

- Phil Bickford: 53.2%

- Kyle Twomey: 58.0%

the 2 injured sp not posted nor is the rp.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 12, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
trade a player who they got in fa rt. i do not know. i know it is done, but i still think it is a cheesey thing to do. but you are right, doing that, will get good players in rtn.

edit, btw, i was never a fan of that trade, giving up a pitcher with success, for a prospect, and unproven one at that was too much.

Yeah, its not the best policy by any means, trading recently signed FA's but it can be done but I would only consider that if the Sox were so bad come July that they decide to blow it all up and start making trades to bring in young talent. It scares me to say that because the Sox could potentially use a busted season as a reason to trade players off to bring in talent to help offset losing their second and third round picks. I hope this is not the case.

This season has been so chaotic, I'm not sure what to expect. I guess all we can do is ride it out and see what happens.

You've peaked my interest in Dewees. I'm going to read up some more on him.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 12, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)

Yeah, I guess I should say the perceived best player available. I think the "best player available" term is used because without knowing the seven picks ahead of the Sox, we don't know who the "BPA" will be. But I get what youre saying, no matter what, its a crap shoot so the BPA does not always end up being the BPA.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ May 12, 2015 -> 07:01 PM)
Yeah, its not the best policy by any means, trading recently signed FA's but it can be done but I would only consider that if the Sox were so bad come July that they decide to blow it all up and start making trades to bring in young talent. It scares me to say that because the Sox could potentially use a busted season as a reason to trade players off to bring in talent to help offset losing their second and third round picks. I hope this is not the case.

This season has been so chaotic, I'm not sure what to expect. I guess all we can do is ride it out and see what happens.

You've peaked my interest in Dewees. I'm going to read up some more on him.

Dewees is really good, he started to turn it on in cape cod last yr, look at the end of the yr cape cod stats.

another one i really like is scott kingery 2b, Arz and the double play partner of Newman. i really think Kingery may be better defensively than Newman and at SS. he moves over to 2b b/c newman was there.

this yr up to last week his hits/K's is something like 35 / 9, and ungodly ratio.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ May 12, 2015 -> 07:07 PM)
Yeah, I guess I should say the perceived best player available. I think the "best player available" term is used because without knowing the seven picks ahead of the Sox, we don't know who the "BPA" will be. But I get what youre saying, no matter what, its a crap shoot so the BPA does not always end up being the BPA.

in most cases i had a heartburn on the BPA theme, but when the draft is wide open as it is, i believe in drafting for need, it the selection is narrow and what the team has in the stables.

another kid i keep seeing putting up numbers, in a very quite way is Luke Gillingham jr, - sp - navy

what are anyone opinion on him. too bad the sox don't have a 3rd pick. but need to deal with his navy commitment. btw, how does that do with is eligibility in the coming yrs???

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ May 12, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)
in most cases i had a heartburn on the BPA theme, but when the draft is wide open as it is, i believe in drafting for need, it the selection is narrow and what the team has in the stables.

Yeah, this draft is just all kinds of confusing. Not sure what I prefer at this point. There's a handful of players I'm very interested in but even if all were available for the Sox at #8, not sure who I would go with.

Just finished reading some really good thing about 1B Kyle Martin. I know its not always the best idea drafting a 1B so high and I'm not saying the Sox should but this article on Martin impressed me. Kid has mad leadership skills and a no nonsense kind of guy. Here a link if you're interested...

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/spor...eason/26312109/

Looked up Dewees. Looks like a solid toolsy player but I'm not so sure about him with the Sox track record on toolsy players. :lol:

QUOTE (LDF @ May 12, 2015 -> 02:18 PM)
top pitching ERA in college...... including rp.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/baseball/d1/current/individual/205

so with this list, what are your opinions on Kevin Duchene - sp - Illinois???

He is a pitchability guy. Stuff isn't great but he knows how to pitch and has very good command. I think most people like him somewhere in the 4 to 6 round range.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 12, 2015 -> 10:25 PM)
Jay is not in the bullpen because he can't hang in the rotation and college coaches don't use size as a rationale for what to do with a player like MLB organizations do. They have a player for three years and they are trying to win as many games as possible. Not to mention U of I's coach is getting flamed for his treatment of Jay. In any case, I trust the Sox not to take a pitcher who they don't think will be a starter in the MLB at #8. If they took Jay, it would be with the intention to mold him as a starter and take advantage of an arm with less mileage.

It's an interesting situation comparing T. Jay and Fulmer. Almost everyone thinks Jay can become a starter, while many have doubts about Fulmer being a starter in the pros. I watched some video of Jay, and his breaking ball was very good. Does he throw a change-up?

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 12, 2015 -> 10:00 PM)
Fulmer's mechanics are vicious and Jay's are pretty clean. Fulmer is listed 6' so he's probably 5'10" or 5'11". He pushes his body to the absolute limit to get to the mid 90's fastball he throws. His high octane delivery is hard to repeat and is probably the reason his control tends to suffer (while dominant, no shortage of walks). His stuff is nasty no doubt but those who think he can start long term are the minority. Recently, there is some precedence of guys like him, short guys with a high effort delivery, succeeding in the bigs with Gray and Stroman. I just don't know if his risk level is worth it for the Sox at #8. Especially considering they have no 2nd and 3rd round picks. You would hate to halt the progress in the minors with a goose egg of a draft.

your 2 posts, nice, great reading, i wish you would do more on the minors. nice.

btw, i think Jay is a generous 6'0 as well and slim built.

A guy who I liked for a long time is Ryan Mountcastle, he is a SS out of Florida. He is 6'4 190lbs and will either end up at 3B or in the corner outfield as a professional. He has very good bat speed and has a really nice swing from the right side. I hope that the Sox pick him up in the fourth round.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 13, 2015 -> 05:18 AM)
A guy who I liked for a long time is Ryan Mountcastle, he is a SS out of Florida. He is 6'4 190lbs and will either end up at 3B or in the corner outfield as a professional. He has very good bat speed and has a really nice swing from the right side. I hope that the Sox pick him up in the fourth round.

yeah i remember mentioning him, b/c of his name. reminds me of the middle ages with the knights and vikings, in the old movies.

with that, i am glad you followed him. i don't know anything about him. i will look him up.

In terms of catching prospects, what about Illinois catcher Jason Goldstein? He's listed at 6 foot 210 pounds and is catching one of the best pitching staffs in the nation.

He's hitting .302 8 HRS 41 RBIs but does have 7 errors...