2015 MLB Draft

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 02:31 AM)
There is not a big following on Matuella, he has a reputation on being injury prone and very streaky.

The lowest I've seen him projected is #3

If Matuella fell to the Sox I'd be ecstatic.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 04:25 PM)
The White Sox are very probably going to go underslot with their first pick as they are missing a second and third round pick.

I hope they don't. I think it would require a significant overdraft in order to save the type of money you would need to make this strategy work. The only significant under slot signing in the first round last year outside the top 3 was the injured Kyle Freeland at #8 (~800k under slot). Even the injured Jeff Hoffman signed for slot at #9. Unless you have one of the top 3 or 4 selections or target an injured pitcher I'm just not sure how workable a strategy it is.

Personally I'd rather they just go all in on the #8 pick and ensure they have at least one impact type talent entering the system. I'd rather have a 1st and a 4th round pick than two 2nd's, if that's the trade-off.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 10:18 AM)
I hope they don't. I think it would require a significant overdraft in order to save the type of money you would need to make this strategy work. The only significant under slot signing in the first round last year outside the top 3 was the injured Kyle Freeland at #8 (~800k under slot). Even the injured Jeff Hoffman signed for slot at #9. Unless you have one of the top 3 or 4 selections or target an injured pitcher I'm just not sure how workable a strategy it is.

Personally I'd rather they just go all in on the #8 pick and ensure they have at least one impact type talent entering the system. I'd rather have a 1st and a 4th round pick than two 2nd's, if that's the trade-off.

Without their second and third picks, it's critical that they hit with their first round pick.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 04:14 AM)
Without their second and third picks, it's critical that they hit with their first round pick.

exactly, the sox still need to address the farm. this draft, according to the experts

is weak, so the sox need to be spot on in their pick.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 10:18 AM)

Thats what the Cubs did last year, took a guy that was a projected to be a mid to late round pick and then signed two HS pitchers later on that had slipped due o signability concerns.

Hoffman was a consensus top 3 pick before he was injured and had other options than signing as he was only a junior, so he had a lot of leverage, so getting at slot money at 9 was a discount.

The strategy is really going to depend on if there is someone sitting there at 8 that the Sox feel is a can't miss prospect, or if they are going to find a safer guy that is projected a little lower and try to roll the dice on getting someone who slips like they did with Trey.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 10:14 PM)

They need to go out an acquire as many quality players as possible, putting all your eggs in one basket to get one guy is way to risky. This organization needs depth, there will be a time to bring in some elite level talent to the system, like when the Sox get two picks next season, but this year the focus should be on getting as many guys that have high ceilings throughout picks 4-10 and a guy with a higher floor and a lower draft pool hit with pick 1.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
They need to go out an acquire as many quality players as possible, putting all your eggs in one basket to get one guy is way to risky. This organization needs depth, there will be a time to bring in some elite level talent to the system, like when the Sox get two picks next season, but this year the focus should be on getting as many guys that have high ceilings throughout picks 4-10 and a guy with a higher floor and a lower draft pool hit with pick 1.

I am not saying that they should over way over slot to get their guy at 8, I am saying that the team needs to make sure that they're drafting player who projects to be a solid major leaguer.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 11:56 AM)
MLB Pipeline ‏@MLBPipeline 40m40 minutes ago

With @WhiteSox signing of Melky, they lose their third-round @MLBDraft pick (#81) & now go from #8 to what is currently #112 without a pick.

If the Sox are 35-19 when the draft happens, totally worth it.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 02:54 AM)
Yeah third round picks don't usually turn into much. I'd rather see them good now.

Give me the pick, I would rather hsve a constant stream of amateur talent going through my system.

in general, i am very cautious in surrendering draft picks, any draft picks. however,

this was a good choice. a draft pick as penalty for signing Melky, not a bad trade,

esp in this so called weak draft.

this can be the foundation of a building block building. just need to see when the

Cuban Yoan gets posted. he is a really high 1 round kind of a prospect / player. go

all out and sign him and since the sox will loose all there int't draft pick, sign all the

they can. rebuild or help rebuild the system.

this is a great way to compensate for the lost of the draft picks.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 05:46 AM)
Give me the pick, I would rather hsve a constant stream of amateur talent going through my system.

Give me the player. I'd rather have actual talent at the major league level. You draft a guy in the 3rd round with the profound hope that he turns into a Melky Cabrera. Hell that is the entire reason for a farm system.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 05:46 AM)

If you'd rather have a 2nd and 3rd round pick over David Robertson and Melky Cabrera, then I believe you are very wrong.

I mean, look at this: http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?q...ype=junreg& Are you really going to tell me that having Melky Cabrera, a very good baseball player signed to a very fair contract, is a worse investment choice than bringing in a player of that caliber?

sometimes, just sometimes a team need to make a sacrifice to get

that player(s) to put the team in position to win. if loosing a 2 and a

3 will help get the sox to the playoff. fine by me.

the sox need to rebuild the system, i believer no one here will dispute

that. it is more of a need to get to the playoff now.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
If you'd rather have a 2nd and 3rd round pick over David Robertson and Melky Cabrera, then I believe you are very wrong.

I mean, look at this: http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?q...ype=junreg& Are you really going to tell me that having Melky Cabrera, a very good baseball player signed to a very fair contract, is a worse investment choice than bringing in a player of that caliber?

Most successful with the White Sox: Brent Morel and Addison Reed.

J.J. Putz as well, but he didn't sign with them.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)

Saying that I am wrong is a stupid thing to say, I just diagree with you.

If you're confident in your system and your player development process then you shoul feel confident in your team's ability to develop those picks into solid players. The more draft picks you have, the greater influx of talent that enters the system, the more players you develop into major league caliber players and more you don't have to go out and sign players to big contacts and the flexibility you have as an organization. Look at the Cardinals.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 28, 2014 -> 06:02 AM)

If you're confident in your system and your player development process then you shoul feel confident in your team's ability to develop those picks into solid players. The more draft picks you have, the greater influx of talent that enters the system, the more players you develop into major league caliber players and more you don't have to go out and sign players to big contacts and the flexibility you have as an organization. Look at the Cardinals.

The odds are incredibly high that Melky Cabrera and David Robertson are far greater talents than anyone the White Sox would draft, and we don't have to wait for the better part of a decade to see if I am right.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 28, 2014 -> 06:02 AM)

But the Sox did have flexibility as an organization because they signed 3 stars well below market value in Sale, Quintana and Abreu so they can spend some money. The only big contract really is Robertson, Cabrera is market value for a guy of his caliber who can put up 2-4 WAR each year during his contract with the Sox.

In terms of other players on the Sox, the only guy I can think of who is next for an extension is Adam Eaton with another good season, and I'm sure that will be under market value as well.

So give me proven players in Robertson and Cabrera that will help this team compete and not waste our stars prime years instead of a 2nd-3rd round pick that might be good.

i like prospects and draft choices just as anyone else. but lets take

a look at it in several ways.

draft picks are a gamble. prospects and draft choices are not a sure

thing, if it was, many teams would have this abundance of players in

the farm.

then if the org does find one, it will take what, 3-4 yrs maybe to make

it and still it is a gamble. however if that player does make it, the sky

can be the world. what was stanton, a 2nd round pick, how many teams

passed him up???

now on the other side, the investment to really improve the team is a

2nd and a 3rd. those picks can come back and bite the sox in the arse

but that is the price that had to be paid. the window of opportunity

is now....

btw whose fault was it for the abysmal state of the farm???

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 28, 2014 -> 11:42 AM)
btw whose fault was it for the abysmal state of the farm???

Kenny Williams.

some blame can go to people beneath him failing at their jobs but he's the guy at the top. He was the one who made poor draft choices based on a philosophy of finding guys who would be tradeable like Broadway and McCullough, he was the guy who made the decisions to trade away the guys we did produce like Gio, he's the guy who chose to spend money on the big league roster while limiting spending on the draft, he's the guy who was willing to give up draft picks to sign Adam Dunn and Scott Linebrink, he's the guy who employed Dave Wilder who screwed over this frachise for several years by fraudulently promoting international prospects and falsifying their ages.

They spent more than half a decade with an official policy of neglecting the farm system in favor of the big league team. In the meantime they happened to ignore the fact that they were being defrauded. The end result is exactly what you'd expect.