2015 MLB Draft

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 29, 2015 -> 05:57 PM)
I do like Tate as well. Stock has fallen a bit, but he was looking like the number 1 pick earlier this year.

To me, it's not shocking he faded down the stretch. He wasn't stretched out coming into the season.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 29, 2015 -> 10:05 AM)
If Tate is available I would all aboard that train.

I think I'd take Fulmer over him, but that'd be it.

Tate would be my #1. He has good size, velocity, two plus pitches and athleticism without some of the concerns over Jay / Fullmer. Basically Tate has proven he can become a starter (after pitching out of pen past two seasons) and still maintained his velocity, etc, until past few weeks where he has tired out (which is to be expected and something I hope Sox are all over and are prepared to give him rest). Fullmer has more concerns over his mechanics, etc and Jay is nice but again, we don't know how his velocity will maintain as a starter, etc.

Tate would be such a good value get at the 8 spot. Jay might have higher upside then Tate though (more polish around his secondary stuff).

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 30, 2015 -> 03:47 AM)
Anybody know if Scott Boras is the agent to be for any of the top picks?

i was waiting to see the draft time. they the prospects will let anyone know who their advisers are.

but that is a great question, at least for me.

My top five currently is: Fulmer, Tate, Jay, Benintendi and Stephenson.

Based on what I am reading from the guys in the know (McDaniel, Callis, Manuel), any of those five could be available for the Sox. So many unknowns this year. Last year, it was certain who was going in the top three (Kolek, Rodon and Aiken), the order was just up in the air. This year, no one knows. But let's just hope the Sox have done their research on the top 8 players in the Draft in their mind and then the highest rated player left.

Edited by maggsmaggs

With a top 10 pick and slot to burn and only 8 picks in the first 10 rounds, look for Chicago to take a safe RHP at 8 and follow him up with overslot picks in the later rounds, similar to Montes De Oca last year

My Final Mock for next week:

1.8. Walker Buehler, RHP, Vandy

4.112. Rhett Wiseman, LF, Vandy

5.142. Grayson Long, RHP, TAMU

6.172. Tyler Ferguson, RHP, Vandy

Late round fliers:

Jamies Winston, RHP, FSU

Octavio Arroyo, RHP, CA-HS

We need a C with a bat already too, but not realstic for us to pick one early

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ May 30, 2015 -> 05:48 PM)
With a top 10 pick and slot to burn and only 8 picks in the first 10 rounds, look for Chicago to take a safe RHP at 8 and follow him up with overslot picks in the later rounds, similar to Montes De Oca last year

My Final Mock for next week:

1.8. Walker Buehler, RHP, Vandy

4.112. Rhett Wiseman, LF, Vandy

5.142. Grayson Long, RHP, TAMU

6.172. Tyler Ferguson, RHP, Vandy

Late round fliers:

Jamies Winston, RHP, FSU

Octavio Arroyo, RHP, CA-HS

We need a C with a bat already too, but not realstic for us to pick one early

with the 4 rounder and later, i would really think about infielders and catcher position.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 30, 2015 -> 09:01 PM)
Sox have scouted Tate at the beginning of the year and he was throwing in the mid 90's deep into the game. Much like Jay, Tate was used exclusively out of the pen in his first two college years. Jay and Tate were looked at as top 50 prospects that were being held back because they weren't starting. Tate got put in the rotation at the beginning of this season only because an inferior pitcher, UCSB's initial Friday night pitcher, went down to injury. I think Tate struggling lately is a result of this being his first season starting. He has a great arm, a good pitcher's frame and great athletic ability. If he were to slip to #8, a trendy idea right now, he would be a great value to the Sox. What is interesting is these mocks we have seen haven't really considered Tate falling to the Sox so there hasn't been any chatter about how the Sox feel about him. I know that some in the Sox org are very fond of Tate. I just don't think he gets past Minnesota.

1.) Arizona -

2.) Houston -

3.) Colorado -

4.) Texas -

5.) Houston -

6.) Minnesota -

7.) Boston -

8.) Sox -

I think it's a lock that Rodgers, Swanson and Bregman go before the Sox pick. So that leaves four picks that we are not sure of with players like Tate, Jay, Fulmer, Benintendi, Tucker and Daz Cameron being the most likely. With nine days to go, this is how I would guess it goes.

1.) Arizona - Swanson

2.) Houston - Rodgers

3.) Colorado - Jay

4.) Texas - Bregman/Tate

5.) Houston - Cameron/Tate

6.) Minnesota - Bregman/Tate

7.) Boston - Benintendi/Fulmer

8.) Sox -

So it seems to me like it's getting to the point where it looks like we won't get one of Tate, Jay or Fulmer at #8. The Texas pick at #4 is a big question mark messing up a lot of mocks. I think the best case scenario for the Sox is Tucker going somewhere 4-6 and the Red Sox preferring Benintendi over Fulmer.

a great analysis esp the bold. nice!!!

my take

1.) Arizona - Swanson-ss

2.) Houston - college pitcher (they were just looking for a pitching help)

3.) Colorado - pitcher top avail / rodgers-ss (they need pitching help in the system)

4.) Texas - pitcher

5.) Houston - Tucker

6.) Minnesota - bergman / benintendi (they wouldn't mind a top prep here)

7.) Boston - bergman / pitching

8.) Sox -

I love what I have been reading about Tyler Jay and Carson Fulmer. Dillon Tate as well.

Maybe it's my way of thinking, but I would love the Sox to just pick Tyler Stephenson just to give them a challenge to develop this guy, at a premium position, to prove doubters wrong that they can develop big league talented hitters consistently. The Sox DID help to develop hitters like Thomas, Ventura, Baines, Ray Durham, Aaron Rowand, Joe Crede...you could also say to some small degree that they have helped to develop Jose Abreu and Alexei Ramirez.

I realize that the track record of the White Sox isn't great at all regarding developing hitters. But, if you have this kind of talent at a premium position to select, why not?

If the Sox have their choice of Jay, Fulmer, Tate, Stephenson, or even Benintendi; that will make my day. I would personally be ecstatic if they chose Stephenson, but I understand it is, and should be, best player available on their draft board.

:gosoxretro:

QUOTE (OilCan @ May 30, 2015 -> 10:27 PM)
I love what I have been reading about Tyler Jay and Carson Fulmer. Dillon Tate as well.

Maybe it's my way of thinking, but I would love the Sox to just pick Tyler Stephenson just to give them a challenge to develop this guy, at a premium position, to prove doubters wrong that they can develop big league talented hitters consistently. The Sox DID help to develop hitters like Thomas, Ventura, Baines, Ray Durham, Aaron Rowand, Joe Crede...you could also say to some small degree that they have helped to develop Jose Abreu and Alexei Ramirez.

I realize that the track record of the White Sox isn't great at all regarding developing hitters. But, if you have this kind of talent at a premium position to select, why not?

If the Sox have their choice of Jay, Fulmer, Tate, Stephenson, or even Benintendi; that will make my day. I would personally be ecstatic if they chose Stephenson, but I understand it is, and should be, best player available on their draft board.

:gosoxretro:

who was the GM that drafted them??

who were the coaches in the minors at the time??

this sounded as i was being a jerk, i didn't mean to, the point is they were not KW selections.

here is some of my concerns. in the past couple of weeks, the blogs have been mentioning how Tate is now going 5+ innings. Tate was a rp and then converted to sp. so is he tired or is the real makeup of him is as a rp who was stretch. some are saying that is why he may be dropping a little. now whether that is true or not.... i do not know. i depend on the mocks and blogs just like everyone else. also, was this person telling the truth.... who knows.

as with Tate the same goes with Jay, do mlb really draft a closer in the top 15 let alone top 8?? the sox have rp / closer covered already and maybe in the future with Montas.

lastly do you want a top 8 on a prep who may or may not developed as hoped.

cough cough .... Hawkins.

Edited by LDF

I would also be ecstatic if the Sox drafted Tyler Stephenson. I would be really tempted to move him from behind the plate and maybe try him at third or in the outfield, so he can just focus on developing his bat. The bat speed that he posses is special.