2015 MLB Draft

ChiSoxJon

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 11:29 AM)
I think this is a very realistic scenario given that Fulmer is on the board at #8. While I don't have any indubitable evidence to think this is the case, I think there is a possibility the Sox were using Fulmer as a pawn so their scent wouldn't be on Jay. Jay has just happened to pitch so well he might not get out of the top five. Correct me if I am wrong but I think it's just Keith Law, arguably the biggest the MLB Draft pundit, saying the Sox are all over Fulmer and they would take him if he's there. No one else was reporting that but a lot of mocks were really just going off of Law's seemingly certain prediction. That was about two weeks ago and what I was hearing at the time, on good merit in this case, was the Sox absolutely love Jay and he was the guy they covet at #8. Since then, Law has really cooled his tone on the potential Sox-Fulmer marriage and now acknowledges the Sox love Jay. It's conjecture, but I think there's a possibility that Law was manipulated by the Sox.

I don't know if you should betting on Fulmer holding up as a starter for 6 years. There is very few scouts who are warm to him being a starter at all.

If there is anyone I trust to figure this out, it is our organization.

I think this is a very realistic scenario given that Fulmer is on the board at #8. While I don't have any indubitable evidence to think this is the case, I think there is a possibility the Sox were using Fulmer as a pawn so their scent wouldn't be on Jay. Jay has just happened to pitch so well he might not get out of the top five. Correct me if I am wrong but I think it's just Keith Law, arguably the biggest the MLB Draft pundit, saying the Sox are all over Fulmer and they would take him if he's there. No one else was reporting that but a lot of mocks were really just going off of Law's seemingly certain prediction. That was about two weeks ago and what I was hearing at the time, on good merit in this case, was the Sox absolutely love Jay and he was the guy they covet at #8. Since then, Law has really cooled his tone on the potential Sox-Fulmer marriage and now acknowledges the Sox love Jay. It's conjecture, but I think there's a possibility that Law was manipulated by the Sox.

I don't know if you should betting on Fulmer holding up as a starter for 6 years. There is very few scouts who are warm to him being a starter at all.

I know. A lot of the same people that thought Chris Sale was destined for the bullpen too. I have questions about Fulmer long-term. I have questions about whether Tyler Jay will hold up as well though too. I don't think there's sure-fire option in this class. That could be why Jon Harris is the most realistic possibility. I just hate going safe there at #8 with a college starter that projects as a #3. I'd take one of the HS arms instead (Ashe Russell) of settling at 8. They won't do that though.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 03:45 PM)
Fry getting hurt, even if it is long-term (which we don't know yet), doesn't change anything on your draft strategy.

the sox are going to do what the sox want to do.

for me, with Adams and Fry, in the system, i am in the thinking with the #8 pick i would go with a positional player, under slot and build up a nice little kitty. i am thinking that some highly rated preps are going to be avail with the 4 rounder and later.

now, i am not too sure.

but i will continue this later tonite.

Well with Fry getting hurt and at this time, the extent of the injury is unknown.

I have been thinking and I was waiting until sunday nite to post this, while waiting to see how everyone else is commenting on their picks. Pitchers, well this is an unknown quality of draft and as it stands I can really be excited about Fulmer.

However without him being there, I can be really entice by drafting a positional player. There are 3 that I really happy about, 1. DJ Stewart, 2. Donnie Dewees and my favorite is 3. David Thompson.

As a freshman Thompson made a name for himself in D1 baseball, then he got hurt and missed mostly all of his sophmore season. Then last summer he return to the spot lite with his performance in the Cape Cod league, which at that time I started to follow him.

In his junior yr, all he did was was tied in the nation as the most hrs in a college this season, Donnie Dewees is #2.

the team needs some help at cat, 3b for starters.

the under slot can save some money for later players in later rounds.

however, i will look at, if fulmer not being there, i would look at 3 prep pitchers,

Justin Hooper, Ashe Russell, or Donny Everett. the reason why, the sox does have a little room to develop a prep pitcher. pretty much with what they are doing with Fry. Remember Fry missed a good solid yr with a previous TJ surgery.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)
Well with Fry getting hurt and at this time, the extent of the injury is unknown.

I have been thinking and I was waiting until sunday nite to post this, while waiting to see how everyone else is commenting on their picks. Pitchers, well this is an unknown quality of draft and as it stands I can really be excited about Fulmer.

However without him being there, I can be really entice by drafting a positional player. There are 3 that I really happy about, 1. DJ Stewart, 2. Donnie Dewees and my favorite is 3. David Thompson.

As a freshman Thompson made a name for himself in D1 baseball, then he got hurt and missed mostly all of his sophmore season. Then last summer he return to the spot lite with his performance in the Cape Cod league, which at that time I started to follow him.

In his junior yr, all he did was was tied in the nation as the most hrs in a college this season, Donnie Dewees is #2.

however, i will look at, if fulmer not being there, i would look at 3 prep pitchers,

Justin Hooper, Ashe Russell, or Donny Everett. the reason why, the sox does have a little room to develop a prep pitcher. pretty much with what they are doing with Fry. Remember Fry missed a good solid yr with a previous TJ surgery.

Sox aren't going positional player, I can almost put a guarantee on that with what has come out. However, they'll probably grab some HS players in the later rounds.

The White Sox were the first team I recall being high on Jay so I think you are definitely on to something. Maybe they were also trying to hide the degree of interest in Harris since they do not expect Jay or Tate to fall to #8 and aren't very high on Fulmer?

Funny. When you mention the concerns about Fulmer, the name Juan Cruz comes to mind. Same frame and high effort deliver if I remember Cruz correctly.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 12:14 PM)
Considering how weak college hitters are in this class on a tools basis and adding in the fact that there is no analytics on the new ball I'd rather stay away from college hitters.

I hope we go underslot in the first. It doesn't seem like there is going to be any players available who should be valued as an asset with the #8 slot value. There isn't a lot of sign-ability issues and it's against good practice (in theory), but I wouldn't mind it if they did not sign their first pick. It won't happen in this organization but the Sox could fathomably end up with three top 30 slot values in a draft that will offer much more talent.

Brady Aiken could be the perfect candidate right here. If Aiken is healthy and signs, the Sox have a good young left hander to work with and if not, the Sox will have the #9 pick (protected) next year in a better draft like you said. I would not low ball Aiken to the point of insult but maybe offer something like 80% slot value. Or is that an insult,lol.

I was certainly against the idea when it came up a month or so ago but after hearing more about Fulmer and Harris, Jay and Tate are the only healthy pitchers that interest me. I think you were right when you said I was being a bit short sighted.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)

I like that you're thinking outside the box LDF. It goes against what is currently rumored but if you end up right, you will be a fricken genius around these parts. :headbang

Apparently the Sox are hosting a pre draft workout at US Cellular Field.

Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisMLB 19m19 minutes ago

Had I known the @WhiteSox were staging a predraft workout this morning, I would have headed to U.S. Cellular Field even earlier! Oh well.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 10:48 AM)
Apparently the Sox are hosting a pre draft workout at US Cellular Field.

Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisMLB 19m19 minutes ago

Had I known the @WhiteSox were staging a predraft workout this morning, I would have headed to U.S. Cellular Field even earlier! Oh well.

As in an open workout or invite with a couple first rounders?

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
If Jay was still there for the Sox at #8, would they not take him just because they would prefer a right handed starter? I mean they already have Sale, Q, and Rodon long term, and I'm not sure that they'd want another lefty in the rotation.

It seems like the Sox are pretty high on Jay. If he's there at 8, they're taking him, regardless of if he throws left-handed, right-handed or via a prosthetic third arm.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
If Jay was still there for the Sox at #8, would they not take him just because they would prefer a right handed starter? I mean they already have Sale, Q, and Rodon long term, and I'm not sure that they'd want another lefty in the rotation.

The chances of that are as good as the Cubs World Series record since 1909.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 08:08 PM)

the unknown factor is, can Jay make it as a starter or not?

FYI for all you draftniks... on Monday, when the FS Draft Tracker goes live, we'll have a pinned Day 1 thread in PHT with the tracker in the first post and discussion added to that. It may also have links to the pre-draft coverage articles, again in the first post.

There will also be a CLOSED thread, pinned in PHT or FS, with the draft picks and status, and again links to the tracker.

This discussion thread will be closed when the new threads go up.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 09:29 PM)
I'm not sure. Worst case scenario is that you can turn him into a power reliever type (aka Andrew Miller).

no offense, it will be a waste of a #8 pick. a #8 for a closer where others can be used to fill in. this system has major holes that needs to be address, one of those holes is not for the pen nor closer of the future.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 09:26 PM)
FYI for all you draftniks... on Monday, when the FS Draft Tracker goes live, we'll have a pinned Day 1 thread in PHT with the tracker in the first post and discussion added to that. It may also have links to the pre-draft coverage articles, again in the first post.

There will also be a CLOSED thread, pinned in PHT or FS, with the draft picks and status, and again links to the tracker.

This discussion thread will be closed when the new threads go up.

many thanks for the update. i can't wait.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 03:32 PM)
no offense, it will be a waste of a #8 pick. a #8 for a closer where others can be used to fill in. this system has major holes that needs to be address, one of those holes is not for the pen nor closer of the future.

It may be a waste. I was just responding to your post wondering what would happen if he couldn't make the transition to a starter.

I'd much rather draft a starter than a reliever at #8 for sure. Jay is more risky in that aspect because we don't know how easily he'll make the transition from reliever to full time starter.