2015 MLB Draft

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 04:01 PM)
If the Sox were able to sign Rodon, they'll be able to sign Fulmer or any other Boras clients.

yeah, and last yr, the sox over spent on his salary and over the slot suggested. Rodon and agent wanted more money than the #1 pick, which he didn't get. but the sox spent the rest of the entire money allotted for salary and even the cushion money.

so no one is going to know what the entire conversation is going to like. hell fulmer may not even be there.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 04:04 PM)
Fulmer will sign. Law doesn't have Daz Cameron in his top 30 mock though. He says that Cameron (Boras) is asking for too much money and may drop.

and he is not even drafted yet.

jeez.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 05:45 PM)
I'm assuming he means he doesn't have Cameron going in the top 30 picks, not that he isn't a top 30 talent....signability affects your draft status, not your prospect status.

no not that, it is the feelers that the what the results are really for, for Cameron and his camp.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 11:13 AM)
yeah, and last yr, the sox over spent on his salary and over the slot suggested. Rodon and agent wanted more money than the #1 pick, which he didn't get. but the sox spent the rest of the entire money allotted for salary and even the cushion money.

so no one is going to know what the entire conversation is going to like. hell fulmer may not even be there.

Actually he did get more money then anyone else in the draft. Even if Aiken would have signed for his originally agreed to $6.5 million, Rodon got $6.582 million.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 05:03 PM)
Actually he did get more money then anyone else in the draft. Even if Aiken would have signed for his originally agreed to $6.5 million, Rodon got $6.582 million.

you are right, i was thinking something totally different.

my bad. good catch.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 05:15 PM)
You keep saying this but I think there's a very good chance a lot of teams go under slot (AZ, Houston, Colorado, our Sox) in the top ten. Outside of the first few picks, you don't hear much about going under slot. It still happens all the time. You're not going to hear the "Sox are going to go underslot at #8" because A.) they're too far down to know what's going to be on the board and B.) they're not going to show their hand on who they want. Arizona on the other hand you'll hear all about it because they have the whole field.

This draft lost the best college pitcher in Matuella, they lost the best prospect in Aiken, they lost a top 5-10 guy in Nathan Kirby, they lost a great HS arm in Kolby Allard. This is a draft that is filled with pitchers with no promise to start and position players in HS. It might be the worst in the century. 2000 is the only draft I've heard being on scale in regards to lack of talent.

What we have to understand is the 8th best player in this draft is not worth the 8th pool slot. These slots mean a lot less than they did last year. Teams don't look at the slot values as true, this a market and they will evaluate player X on what he would be in all drafts, not this one. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw 4-6 teams go under slot in the top ten. I think AZ, HOU and Colorado are a lock to do so.

Law is a pawn!!!!

5 million is the number supposedly.

a great insight. problem is, i really can't think of a counter.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 12:15 PM)
You keep saying this but I think there's a very good chance a lot of teams go under slot (AZ, Houston, Colorado, our Sox) in the top ten. Outside of the first few picks, you don't hear much about going under slot. It still happens all the time. You're not going to hear the "Sox are going to go underslot at #8" because A.) they're too far down to know what's going to be on the board and B.) they're not going to show their hand on who they want. Arizona on the other hand you'll hear all about it because they have the whole field.

This draft lost the best college pitcher in Matuella, they lost the best prospect in Aiken, they lost a top 5-10 guy in Nathan Kirby, they lost a great HS arm in Kolby Allard. This is a draft that is filled with pitchers with no promise to start and position players in HS. It might be the worst in the century. 2000 is the only draft I've heard being on scale in regards to lack of talent.

What we have to understand is the 8th best player in this draft is not worth the 8th pool slot. These slots mean a lot less than they did last year. Teams don't look at the slot values as true, this a market and they will evaluate player X on what he would be in all drafts, not this one. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw 4-6 teams go under slot in the top ten. I think AZ, HOU and Colorado are a lock to do so.

Law is a pawn!!!!

5 million is the number supposedly.

I almost wouldnt mind them offering him underslot then and getting the 9th pick next year if he doesnt sign

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 06:33 PM)
I almost wouldnt mind them offering him underslot then and getting the 9th pick next year if he doesnt sign

oh how i was thinking of that. what is the rule, there must be an offer of 80% of the allowable slotted money in order to get the following yr draft???

Here is Keith Law's updated mock: http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft/mock/...-Law-Mock-Draft

1. Arizona- Dansby Swanson SS Vandy. Law expects an under slot deal.

2. Houston-Alex Bregman 2B LSU

3. Colorado- Brendan Rodgers SS HS. He think they'll go with Tyler Jay if Rodgers is gone.

4. Texas- Dillon Tate RHP UCSB. Law thinks they'd take any of these 4 that are on board

5. Houston- Kyle Tucker OF. Says Astros want 2 bats

6. Minnesota-Kolby Allard LHP. Law has had them on Allard all spring.

7. Boston- Andrew Benintendi CF Arkansas

8. CWS-Carson Fulmer RHP Vanderbilt. Listed Jay, Fulmer, Kaprelian, and Harris

9. Cubs- Tyler Jay LHP Illinois. Thinks they'll go bat but won't pass on Jay

10. Philly- Kevin Newman SS Arizona...mentions Stephenson as well

11. Cincinnati- Garrett Whitley OF HS

12. Miami-Trenton Clark OF HS

13. Tampa Bay- Walker Buehler RHP Vanderbilt

14. Atlanta- Tyler Stephenson C HS

15. Milwaukee- Ian Happ OF Cincinnati

17. Cleveland- Nate Kirby LHP Virginia

22. Detroit- Phil Bickford

23. STL- Mike Matuella RHP Duke

First Round doesn't include Daz Cameron or Brady Aiken.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 12:42 PM)
oh how i was thinking of that. what is the rule, there must be an offer of 80% of the allowable slotted money in order to get the following yr draft???

Anything above 80% for non-injured, and 40% for injured, IIRC.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 05:54 PM)
Anything above 80% for non-injured, and 40% for injured, IIRC.

many thanks, you are prob right.

however if that was done, this yr the sox will not have a 1, 2 and 3 rounder. for a system that is rebuilding that is a huge hit.

now if the sox will over spend on the int'l prospects, this might soften the blow of no draft picks, but i do mean going hog wild on the int't signing.

I know they'll never do it (perhaps Boston, NYY, NYM or Cubs will), but I'd honestly grab either Aiken or Matuella at our slot. Considering the underwhelming talent available in this draft I'd rather take a chance with an injured pitcher perhaps never succeeding than drafting the next Broadway or McCulloch. Hell, even if they denied our offer we're still picking Top 10 next year with another Top 20 (I would have said Top 10 a few weeks ago but theyll prbably flounder around .500 all year)

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)
I know they'll never do it (perhaps Boston, NYY, NYM or Cubs will), but I'd honestly grab either Aiken or Matuella at our slot. Considering the underwhelming talent available in this draft I'd rather take a chance with an injured pitcher perhaps never succeeding than drafting the next Broadway or McCulloch. Hell, even if they denied our offer we're still picking Top 10 next year with another Top 20 (I would have said Top 10 a few weeks ago but theyll prbably flounder around .500 all year)

Quinarvy is on the same page with you.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 07:23 PM)
Stone was talking about Jay yesterday hinting he could be a late season bullpen guy at the major league level before starting his journey to become a starter.

Yep, and IIRC, he also said that he highly doubts he's still on the board when the Sox pick

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 02:33 PM)
Yep, and IIRC, he also said that he highly doubts he's still on the board when the Sox pick

Yeah, then he started talking about how every team will say they couldn't believe their pick was on the board. Telling Jay he could be in the big leagues this season could be a way to keep him under slot for later picks. I have wanted the Sox to take Fulmer all along. The mocks are all over the place.

With the White Sox luck, all those teams closer to the bottom of the first round like Detroit and KC develop one of those injured pitchers into the next Cy Young candidate.

Unfortunately, the White Sox aren't in a position where they can afford to wait another full year and go the Hoffman route according to all observations of their "new and revised" drafting philosophy.

http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/st-louis-cardi...louis-cardinals

This is an interesting (albeit unlikely) take on the Cardinals going crazy overslot on all their players in the draft trying to gain a competitive advantage by gaming the system...spending twice as much as allotted and incurring penalties. In the end, the numbers just don't work out for it to make sense like teams have judged with the Latin American under 23 rules.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 02:57 PM)
Allard is my #1 guy and Happ would be my #2 fallback option. A lot of these college arms being projected in the 6-10 range are way overrated in my opinion just because they are "safer" options.

allard and his back injury concerns me.