2015 MLB Draft

ChiSoxJon

Illinois is starting Tyler Jay vs Vanderbilt tonight. People are talking about it being a good move because they are desperate. If Jay is good enough to start today, in a potential season-ending game, then he should have been starting all season.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 12:08 PM)
I really hope the Sox get Jay. I want nothing to do with Fulmer or Harris. Tate would be ok, but I don't know a ton about him.

What about just rolling the dice on a bat like Benintendi?

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 12:21 PM)
I wouldn't be opposed to that either, but I think pitching is a bigger priority for the Sox at the moment.

I mean, you can never have too much pitching, but they need bats...and a guy who's kind of a natural hitter intrigues me.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 06:02 PM)
Illinois is starting Tyler Jay vs Vanderbilt tonight. People are talking about it being a good move because they are desperate. If Jay is good enough to start today, in a potential season-ending game, then he should have been starting all season.

i would like to see how Jay performs today.

re starting all season, why, they made the playoff, didn't they? that was the goal.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 06:23 PM)
I mean, you can never have too much pitching, but they need bats...and a guy who's kind of a natural hitter intrigues me.

by all accounts, this is a weak draft. question is what makes it a weak draft?? not enuf elite prospects??

i am going to talk about hitters.

so i look at the hitting prospects, in the mocks, who are being picked at the certain number and rank them from older hitters in past draft. that is the only way i can see if they are a promising hitter or a hitter who fills a need.

Dewees, he is too enticing, but some expect hiim to be no better than a 4th outfielder in the pro's. yet Benintendi is being talked about as a promising pro. i just don't know, what makes him a better selection??

i like Happ, Stewart, Thompson and Dewees. they have proven to have a bat for several seasons esp in the cape, their stats have been est and recorded in the previous ncaa hitting category, yet they have been look down on, why??? i am at a lost for this. it would be different if they came out of no where and made some unbelievable stats this yr.

oh either way, this team needs bats.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 06:54 PM)
SoxNet.net ‏@SoxNet now

Doug Lauman on the pregame show just said the @whitesox have their eye on four pitchers and four position players for the @MLBDraft at #8.

this is interesting indeed.

i wonder if swanson and rodgers are being put out there, for a possible smoke screen.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 12:54 PM)
SoxNet.net ‏@SoxNet now

Doug Lauman on the pregame show just said the @whitesox have their eye on four pitchers and four position players for the @MLBDraft at #8.

I would imagine it's Swanson, Bregman, Rodgers, Stephenson, Jay, Tate, Fulmer, and Harris.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 07:15 PM)
I would imagine it's Swanson, Bregman, Rodgers, Stephenson, Jay, Tate, Fulmer, and Harris.

exactly!!!

why would a GM announce to the baseball world what would be their real intentions be via a sports forum.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 01:15 PM)

Sounds about right although I really hope Harris is not in the mix. Would rather go Matuella, Kirby or Aiken over Harris.

Tucker could be another bat the Sox are looking at.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 01:18 PM)
exactly!!!

why would a GM announce to the baseball world what would be their real intentions be via a sports forum.

Well they never would. It's actually not that big of a deal in the baseball draft though because teams can't trade.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 07:21 PM)
Sounds about right although I really hope Harris is not in the mix. Would rather go Matuella, Kirby or Aiken over Harris.

Tucker could be another bat the Sox are looking at.

i like this idea base on what you wrote.

they, the sox should have said 6 pitchers and 6 hitters, make many go crazy on ideas of who????

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 07:22 PM)
Well they never would. It's actually not that big of a deal in the baseball draft though because teams can't trade.

you are right, but some prospect may fall.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 01:23 PM)
i like this idea base on what you wrote.

they, the sox should have said 6 pitchers and 6 hitters, make many go crazy on ideas of who????

Lol, some of us are already going crazy. ;)

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 07:15 PM)

I would guess the main 4 starters and Stephenson, Swanson, Happ and Benintendi. They probably assume Rodgers will be gone

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 01:39 PM)
I would guess the main 4 starters and Stephenson, Swanson, Happ and Benintendi. They probably assume Rodgers will be gone

Why though? Wouldn't they just have their top 8 players in general?

Its possible the Sox are expecting all of Rogers, Swanson, Bregman, Jay, Fulmer and Tate to be off the board leaving one unknown before the Sox pick. Could be why rumors about bats are coming out. That unknown could be Stephenson (likely) which leaves the Sox with Cameron (doubtful), Tucker, Benintendi, Happ etc for hitters and could look at one of the injured pitchers like Allard, Aiken, Matuella or Kirby.

Right now though, the trend looks like more prep bats getting picked ahead of #8 leaving the Sox a choice between two or even three of those pitchers. I think a few members have already mentioned the scenarios where the pitchers are available so good call by them.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 07:50 PM)
Its possible the Sox are expecting all of Rogers, Swanson, Bregman, Jay, Fulmer and Tate to be off the board leaving one unknown before the Sox pick. Could be why rumors about bats are coming out. That unknown could be Stephenson (likely) which leaves the Sox with Cameron (doubtful), Tucker, Benintendi, Happ etc for hitters and could look at one of the injured pitchers like Allard, Aiken, Matuella or Kirby.

Right now though, the trend looks like more prep bats getting picked ahead of #8 leaving the Sox a choice between two or even three of those pitchers. I think a few members have already mentioned the scenarios where the pitchers are available so good call by them.

if some unknown factor does develop between now and tomorrow night, lets say a combo of Benintendi or Tucker or even Cameron, gets pick before the sox, lets say for an underslot deal. that means by default some of the fav's will fall.... now comes the prayers to the baseball gods and hope it will be one the sox really like.