what return would alexei net?

ron883

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
With the dearth of talent in the majors at the major league level at the position of SS, Alexei is a hugely valuable commodity. People are looking WAY too much at his batting stats instead of the whole package.

I don't think so, at least in my regard. He's a good hitter, but he's primarily a singles hitter. That's not a bad thing. His defense is also starting to slip a little bit and it's not likely to rebound at this point in his career.

This is my own belief, but I'd like to see what Sanchez and Semien can do at SS too.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)
I don't think so, at least in my regard. He's a good hitter, but he's primarily a singles hitter. That's not a bad thing. His defense is also starting to slip a little bit and it's not likely to rebound at this point in his career.

This is my own belief, but I'd like to see what Sanchez and Semien can do at SS too.

I still think the Yankees make more sense than anywhere else.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 08:54 AM)
With the dearth of talent in the majors at the major league level at the position of SS, Alexei is a hugely valuable commodity. People are looking WAY too much at his batting stats instead of the whole package.

He a valuable commodity, but he's not a commodity worth Pederson + Urias + more. You can hold him if you want, but if you think that he'll be better than our farm guys in his age 34 season, you're gambling. And even if you're confident he WILL be better, you have to admit he likely won't be MUCH better.

And the return doesn't have to be Pederson or garbage. There are plenty of solid B type prospects that would be very nice to have.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 08:58 AM)

To take you one step further: He's actually NOT a good hitter -- he's a good hitter "for a SS." That's still valuable, and if he was younger, I'd be clamoring to extend him rather than move him. But he's not. He's 32 and already showing noticeable signs of decline. Offensively, he had a nice hot start, but even now he's already down to 94 wRC+ for the year.

He's definitely a solid, positive contributor, but he won't be for much longer, and he need our SS to be productive in a couple years. We'd be better off getting one of the 4 guys in AAA some time to develop, and grab a couple nice prospects on top.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)

I agree 100%. If I'm Hahn, I'm already trying to talk to Cashman about it. If nothing else, so I can try to compare the offers I'm getting now with what I think Cashman might give me in the offseason.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
To take you one step further: He's actually NOT a good hitter -- he's a good hitter "for a SS." That's still valuable, and if he was younger, I'd be clamoring to extend him rather than move him. But he's not. He's 32 and already showing noticeable signs of decline. Offensively, he had a nice hot start, but even now he's already down to 94 wRC+ for the year.

He's definitely a solid, positive contributor, but he won't be for much longer, and he need our SS to be productive in a couple years. We'd be better off getting one of the 4 guys in AAA some time to develop, and grab a couple nice prospects on top.

I should have clarified - yes, that is what I mean.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
He a valuable commodity, but he's not a commodity worth Pederson + Urias + more. You can hold him if you want, but if you think that he'll be better than our farm guys in his age 34 season, you're gambling. And even if you're confident he WILL be better, you have to admit he likely won't be MUCH better.

And the return doesn't have to be Pederson or garbage. There are plenty of solid B type prospects that would be very nice to have.

I honestly don't believe that. I think you might see a Semien bat as well as Alexei, but he won't provide anywhere near the defense. None of them will. The one guy in the system who has that kind of glove can't hit to save his life.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:29 AM)
I honestly don't believe that. I think you might see a Semien bat as well as Alexei, but he won't provide anywhere near the defense. None of them will. The one guy in the system who has that kind of glove can't hit to save his life.

I think you are overplaying Alexei's defense at this point. From what I've seen - admittedly not a lot, but I've watched when I can - he appears to be a step or two slower than he has been in the past.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)

I don't disagree with you, I'm just saying that he's declining, so we're going to lose that advantage from him soon anyway. To me, there's no question we're going to miss his glove as soon as he's gone. If given the choice to enjoy the better defense over the next season or two versus sell as high as possible to get some more contributors for when we can compete, though, I'd choose the latter.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:35 AM)
I don't disagree with you, I'm just saying that he's declining, so we're going to lose that advantage from him soon anyway. To me, there's no question we're going to miss his glove as soon as he's gone. If given the choice to enjoy the better defense over the next season or two versus sell as high as possible to get some more contributors for when we can compete, though, I'd choose the latter.

I don't think non-top prospects do us any good right now. We need to be targeting A level talent, especially when we still have a good level of control over the guy.

Also it in the back of my head is wonder how the clubhouse would react to an Alexei trade, but at least if you get a top level guy, it makes it easier to show why you make the deal.

I still think there's an outside chance Rick Hahn looks at his roster and thinks he has a potentially competitive team in 2015 with a reasonable amount of spending and an absolutely competitive team by 2016 with maybe even a small amount of spending. If that is the case, moving Alexei Ramirez would set that back, meaning that there would need to be a return good enough that by 2016 it would offset the loss of the player and shifting to a kid there.

That's my standard. If we don't get that, I'm not interested. A "b" prospect better be a pretty darn sure fire thing to motivate me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)
I still think there's an outside chance Rick Hahn looks at his roster and thinks he has a potentially competitive team in 2015 with a reasonable amount of spending and an absolutely competitive team by 2016 with maybe even a small amount of spending. If that is the case, moving Alexei Ramirez would set that back, meaning that there would need to be a return good enough that by 2016 it would offset the loss of the player and shifting to a kid there.

That's my standard. If we don't get that, I'm not interested. A "b" prospect better be a pretty darn sure fire thing to motivate me.

Exactly what I think. Get another starter, and a power hitting outfielder and hopefully Rodon is set to be in the rotation by then and we can have something special.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)

Would it set it back? What is Alexei going to be like in 2015, much less 2016? Even now, he's not THAT much better than many other SSs.

As said above, Alexei is a good hitter for a SS, but he's not really a good hitter.

It's possible we could be competitive next year but that team would be ridiculously thin.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)

Agree, but it will be interesting to see what kind of prospects that they have left after the deadline this year. They are good bets to acquire at least a SP and probably Chase Headley as well.

The market for SS's looks to be pretty weak this summer as most contenders are set at the position. In the offseason, you could field competing offers from the Yankees and Dodgers depending on what happens with HanRam.

The Reds and Pirates make sense for in season trade partners as Zach Cozart's line is .230/.280/.300 for Cincinnati and Jordy Mercer is at .254/.295/.363.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)
Agree, but it will be interesting to see what kind of prospects that they have left after the deadline this year. They are good bets to acquire at least a SP and probably Chase Headley as well.

The market for SS's looks to be pretty weak this summer as most contenders are set at the position. In the offseason, you could field competing offers from the Yankees and Dodgers depending on what happens with HanRam.

The Reds and Pirates make sense for in season trade partners as Zach Cozart's line is .230/.280/.300 for Cincinnati and Jordy Mercer is at .254/.295/.363.

With the blocked catchers that the Yankees have, I think the Sox and Yankees are a great match.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 01:21 PM)
With the blocked catchers that the Yankees have, I think the Sox and Yankees are a great match.

I think they are now as well, but if they have to give up Sanchez to acquire a SP and then give up Murphy in a deal for Headley, that depth evaporates and they aren't as good of a match any longer.