Time to sell high on Gillaspie?

TheFutureIsNear

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conor needs to find playing time as a super-sub, only starting against right-handers. 3B, DH, 1B, 2B, LF are the places I'd try him. I really would not mind seeing him slide over to 2B, but I doubt he has the range for it.

We do have a glut of middle infielders and I think trading Alexei would be a smart move - I'd also offload Beckham if you could get anything decent for him. You can then bring Gillaspie, Sanchez and Semien into 3B SS 2B and see what you have. Davidson I'd wait until at least next season, assuming at least one of those options fails. Leury Garcia needs some more time in the minors.

All you guys and your unsustainable BABIP . You act like hitters never hit .320-.350 before. Ever look up the BABIP for guys like Gwynn, Carew, Boggs ? It's just possible we have a guy who can hit .320 consistently. Conor was up at .350 batting average slumped down to .310 now has raised it back up to the .325 range again unlike most of the guys on this team who couldn't sustain the high average like Alexei, Beckham, Viciedo and Flowers.

Once the AB's start piling up it's really difficult for a hitter batting around .310 to raise it back up as fast as he did. Last 7 games .526 . Last 10 .387 .378 in July.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Not a fan of trading Conor, unless the Sox get blown away. He's perfect to keep at 3rd until a replacement can take over in the next year or three. If anything make the guy a super utility and take advantage of what he gives you from the left side. Why would anyone one to get rid of something the Sox should be looking for? It's only his second full year in the Majors.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 10:56 PM)
His BABIP has certainly been lucky, but his swing has really changed around, and if you want to regress one way, you have to do it another way: His hr/fb is 5.3%, coming into this year, it was almost double that. It could easily be that Conor has changed his approach, see this article (also has good quotes from Hahn about team building):

This sounds like a certain catcher on the White Sox too. Gillaspie is obviously a much better hitter, but this statement alone throws up red flags like crazy.

He's not Peavy, who had to go, or Alexei, who I'd like to see go, but he is a guy that you definitely listen to offers for. If someone is willing to overpay for him, I don't see why you don't make a move.

It likely makes sense for the Sox to "sell high" on any over-valued player.

It also makes sense for the Sox to consider trades for any of their players they don't consider untouchable.

If they project/profile Gillespie as a 300+ hitter at 3B, then so be it. Keep him. I don't see how a platoon/rotation/whatever of Davidson and Gillespie and maybe a verteran free agent for 1B/3B/DH would be a bad thing, granted Davidson needs to suck less and be more "prospect-ish" with his AAA shizz.

He's not good enough to be a LF or 3B full time. Yes, he has been hitting for average lately, but he's not a power option that a corner position needs. He's DeAza with less speed and more contact. His outfield D may be just as bad as well.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
He's not good enough to be a LF or 3B full time. Yes, he has been hitting for average lately, but he's not a power option that a corner position needs. He's DeAza with less speed and more contact. His outfield D may be just as bad as well.

The average OPS of 3b in MLB right now is .722 and it's .711 in the AL. Fine, Conor isn't hitting for power and he's probably not likely to keep up an .861 OPS based on points others have discussed, but if he were to put up an OPS close to .800 (and could also be platooned with on occasion), that would be a solidly above average offensive producer at that position in the modern era.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 08:51 AM)
The average OPS of 3b in MLB right now is .722 and it's .711 in the AL. Fine, Conor isn't hitting for power and he's probably not likely to keep up an .861 OPS based on points others have discussed, but if he were to put up an OPS close to .800 (and could also be platooned with on occasion), that would be a solidly above average offensive producer at that position in the modern era.

There's nothing wrong with his level of production -- he's at 136 wRC+ for the season. The question about trading him, to me, just comes down to if we think this is the peak of his value.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 01:04 AM)
All you guys and your unsustainable BABIP . You act like hitters never hit .320-.350 before. Ever look up the BABIP for guys like Gwynn, Carew, Boggs ? It's just possible we have a guy who can hit .320 consistently. Conor was up at .350 batting average slumped down to .310 now has raised it back up to the .325 range again unlike most of the guys on this team who couldn't sustain the high average like Alexei, Beckham, Viciedo and Flowers.

Once the AB's start piling up it's really difficult for a hitter batting around .310 to raise it back up as fast as he did. Last 7 games .526 . Last 10 .387 .378 in July.

Yeah, if you think Conor Gillaspie has skills like Tony Gwynn and Rod Carew, we may just have something here, lol.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
There's nothing wrong with his level of production -- he's at 136 wRC+ for the season. The question about trading him, to me, just comes down to if we think this is the peak of his value.

The question is whether someone will pay a price that reflects that his production this year is his norm and will continue.

I don't think they will.

And if they don't, keep him. He looks like he can hit and that's more valuable.

We have higher trading priorities anyway- like the SS.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 05:39 PM)
The question is whether someone will pay a price that reflects that his production this year is his norm and will continue.

I don't think they will.

We have higher trading priorities anyway- like the SS.

I think the idea of trading him may be 1 season too early. let him continue to build on his

success.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 06:32 PM)
Someone told me we had Wade Boggs in Conor Gillaspie so it might be worth waiting it out...right. Towards the OP's question, I just don't think Gillaspie is the type of player GM's are willing to overpay for. He has a value and will surely (in my opinion) be a MLB baseball player for years to come, but his skill set is not sexy and his defense is just passable at 3B.

The one thing that sticks out to me with Gillaspie are his splits, he hits .294/.356/.457/.813 against RHP in his career. That is nothing to scoff at and obviously he sucks against LHP but looking at the team moving forward, if we start Johnson and Gillaspie at 2B/3B next year and have Marcus Semien right behind both of them we could be cooking with that platoon situation. The question is whether the offense would offset the below average defense.

Not to get to far off topic, discussing any of the Sox infielders/prospects just brings light to the multitude of options and scenarios Hahn has going into the offseason; Davidson/Gilaspie at 3B, Ramirez/Sanchez at SS, and Semien/Johnson at 2B. If he's truly trying to compete in 2015, which he says he is, I feel that Ramirez is a necessity considering what would be trotted out at 2B/3B.

BRAVO ....... what a great reply.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 01:26 PM)
I think the idea of trading him may be 1 season too early. let him continue to build on his

success.

And buy the Sox more time to keep working with Davidson. If someone is willing to pay then fine , otherwise I'm fine with keeping Connor.

Keep Conor. He is 26 years old and finally starting to come into his own. He is former first-round pick for a reason, it's not like he doesn't have skill.

If he were 30 and close to free agency, I would be all for trading him. But he is young, entering his prime and cost-controlled for a few more seasons. He is the exact type of offensive player the Sox need.

Edited by maggsmaggs

I love Conor. Wouldn't be opposed to trading him. But we are most likely losing Dunn next season, if Gillaspie and Davidson could be a platoon at 3B and DH next year, I think that would suffice pending other moves to be made. Right now, I'd rather have Davidson in the lineup rather than Dunn anyway.

Conor's defense has been pretty bad this year.

Of the 157 balls hit to him in his zone, he's made plays on 104 of them for a zone rating of .662. Not good.

This leads to a DRS of -9, which I'm sure is one of the worst among all ML 3B. UZR doesn't like him either at -5.

He was slightly below average last year, but it looks like he's taken a turn for the worse. I wouldn't put too much into half a season of defensive metrics though.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)
Conor's defense has been pretty bad this year.

Of the 157 balls hit to him in his zone, he's made plays on 104 of them for a zone rating of .662. Not good.

This leads to a DRS of -9, which I'm sure is one of the worst among all ML 3B. UZR doesn't like him either at -5.

He was slightly below average last year, but it looks like he's taken a turn for the worse. I wouldn't put too much into half a season of defensive metrics though.

He's always been considering below average there, though, even in the minors. Probably safe to say that's what he is.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 08:07 AM)
Yeah, if you think Conor Gillaspie has skills like Tony Gwynn and Rod Carew, we may just have something here, lol.

I'm a glass half full kind of guy. I see a guy hitting line drives all over the place. Nothing lucky about his hits. He's a 3rd baseman plain and simple. Gillaspie at 2nd base would make Beckham's range look elite. It's possible he gets better at 3rd . Just look at threads from last year proclaiming Conor sucked and he is what is he.

Would it be better if he learned another position ? Of course . But talk about him being a super-sub most likely isn't happening. With a lineup full of crappy hitters why some people want to take our one .300 hitter and a lefty at that and move him around is beyond me. Platooning him with Davidson is also nonsense. If Davidson is ever going to play 3rd it won't be part time. There's just not enough AB's for a guy who would be hitting only against LH's and plays one position to platoon. Semien most likely would take any AB's from Conor against lefties and play multiple positions.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

With Dunn gone at the end of the year and Paulie retiring and the likelihood of Viciedo being traded, this could lead to Conor being in the DH position allowing Davidson to play 3rd base next year.

Potentially that would give us an infield of

1B Abreu

2B Johnson

SS Ramirez

3B Davidson

With Semien and Leury Garcia as utility guys.

That isn't bad and with Avi Garcia returning next year to join Eaton in the outfield. I reckon that this would mean that we would be looking for an outfielder and a catcher if we have Gillaspie at DH. I reckon that these positions will be what Hahn will target in trades / offseason.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 12:39 PM)

I don't think they will.

That is spot on - right now Conor is kind of a tweener in that he has shown he could be useful in the long term, but he hasn't done it for long enough to establish much trade value. We'd be looking at a middling return, and for a team in our position, why give up a young, cheap player who is actually producing for that?

QUOTE (glangon @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 05:08 AM)
With Dunn gone at the end of the year and Paulie retiring and the likelihood of Viciedo being traded, this could lead to Conor being in the DH position allowing Davidson to play 3rd base next year.

Potentially that would give us an infield of

1B Abreu

2B Johnson

SS Ramirez

3B Davidson

With Semien and Leury Garcia as utility guys.

That isn't bad and with Avi Garcia returning next year to join Eaton in the outfield. I reckon that this would mean that we would be looking for an outfielder and a catcher if we have Gillaspie at DH. I reckon that these positions will be what Hahn will target in trades / offseason.

I enjoy that you use the word "reckon"

But I do sort of agree with you.. But I am not sure Johnson will be ready at the start of next season yet