Time to sell high on Gillaspie?

TheFutureIsNear

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 05:51 PM)
The topic sucks anyway. Davidson is a minor leaguer who took a huge step back and still Ks for the world, and we want to trade Gillaspie?

No.

No we don't.

Let's hope Davidson builds enough value to get us a nice RHSP prospect or something, now that would be great for us.

But who cares about this year? Do you really think Conor Gillaspie is ever going to be a starting 3B on a team with World Series aspirations? Personally I don't. If you get value for him you absolutely trade him. Whether or not we get value is arguable, but its certainly possible given the lack of corner infielders on the market.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 09:47 PM)
But who cares about this year? Do you really think Conor Gillaspie is ever going to be a starting 3B on a team with World Series aspirations? Personally I don't. If you get value for him you absolutely trade him. Whether or not we get value is arguable, but its certainly possible given the lack of corner infielders on the market.

I would say there is a lack of quality 3b in the ML at this point. Many get moved to first. If Gillaspie is a .300 hitter he is absolutely a starting 3B on a World Series team. Boston won the World Series last year and they benched their regular season 3B for a rookie in the WS. If Gillaspie is a .250 hitter then you need to upgrade. Quality hitters, .300 + are also somewhat limited so if you find one there is a place for them. But if you have a 3B without power you need to find it elsewhere. Now Abreu certainly helps offset some of that lack of power with his above average numbers.

Edited by SCCWS

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 19, 2014 -> 07:56 AM)
I would say there is a lack of quality 3b in the ML at this point. Many get moved to first. If Gillaspie is a .300 hitter he is absolutely a starting 3B on a World Series team. Boston won the World Series last year and they benched their regular season 3B for a rookie in the WS. If Gillaspie is a .250 hitter then you need to upgrade. quality hitters, .300 + are aslo somewhat limited so if you find one there is a place for them. But if you have a 3B without power you need to find it elsewhere. Now Abreu certainly helps offset some of that lack of power with his above average numbers.

Yeah this completely. No team, but especially not us, should be upset about penciling in a quality LH high contact stick somewhere in the 5-6 range in the lineup for the next few seasons.

No, Gillaspie isn't a complete offensive force, but guess what? Few players are anyway. If we trade Gillaspie then we'll *still* need power and we will also need his skillset.

Right now the biggest need in the lineup is a young LH power hitter who is more of a #3/#4 type than a Dunn. We need someone that doesn't disappear for a month at a time and that can put the bat on the ball when the situation dictates. I'm not sure where Hahn is going to find this guy either because they are pretty hard to find, but we need him. Really Thome was our last true prototypical middle of the order lefty and that was only for a few years, and we had a drought before that, too.

Lastly I just think it's funny how people will look at Connor and think "regression!" and then look at Davidson and suppose improvement. Matt Davidson is not currently a Major League player and would get eaten alive at the MLB level by MLB pitching, and I'm not sure why anyone in his right mind would think that his persistent MiLB contact problems would somehow diminish against a vastly improved level of competition. Davidson is a pretty flawed prospect, he was when we got him, and he hasn't done anything to make those concerns go away. IMO our backup to Connor ATM is Marcus Semien and it's not even close. Davidson is nowhere near the picture.

Edited by The Ultimate Champion

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 19, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
Yeah this completely. No team, but especially not us, should be upset about penciling in a quality LH high contact stick somewhere in the 5-6 range in the lineup for the next few seasons.

No, Gillaspie isn't a complete offensive force, but guess what? Few players are anyway. If we trade Gillaspie then we'll *still* need power and we will also need his skillset.

Right now the biggest need in the lineup is a young LH power hitter who is more of a #3/#4 type than a Dunn. We need someone that doesn't disappear for a month at a time and that can put the bat on the ball when the situation dictates. I'm not sure where Hahn is going to find this guy either because they are pretty hard to find, but we need him. Really Thome was our last true prototypical middle of the order lefty and that was only for a few years, and we had a drought before that, too.

Lastly I just think it's funny how people will look at Connor and think "regression!" and then look at Davidson and suppose improvement. Matt Davidson is not currently a Major League player and would get eaten alive at the MLB level by MLB pitching, and I'm not sure why anyone in his right mind would think that his persistent MiLB contact problems would somehow diminish against a vastly improved level of competition. Davidson is a pretty flawed prospect, he was when we got him, and he hasn't done anything to make those concerns go away. IMO our backup to Connor ATM is Marcus Semien and it's not even close. Davidson is nowhere near the picture.

Agreed on all points, but I also wouldn't mind seeing our highest OBP directly in front of Abreu in the two hole vs. RHP.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 08:15 PM)
An excellent argument. You're so obviously NOT drunk :P

The thing about LeBron and height: that's exactly it, except it's amazing because most guys that are that big are lumbering, uncoordinated, and injury-prone. The COST of raw size is typically very steep, but it just doesn't seem to apply to him. He's like a scaled-up point guard. It defies physics -- his bodily infrastructure should be suffering for the stress of his mass at the speeds he is able to move.

It is a common characteristic of a conversation.

Yeah with basketball I think in Step 1 you're generally looking at a very small pool of potential players in terms of body type and basic conditioning levels, etc., then you are probably chopping out (I'm just arbitrarily throwing out numbers for effect) maybe 70% or more of those people by refining through separators like overall game smarts/understanding, raw athletic ability, character and work ethic (the Noah factors), etc. At that point you mostly get guys who have a shot at being good players in college or playing in the D-League or at the international level somewhere, and maybe you get a few end-of-your-bench NBA piece or something, etc. And from there you take that pool, cut it way down to find your NBA rotation players, then cut that NBA rotation player pool way down to find an All-Star caliber player, then cut *that* pool way down to find a true superstar.... and then you're still not at LeBron's level. LeBron's level is the "touched by God" level and most of us are at the "touched by my Uncle level" and we can't understand what that level is like.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 19, 2014 -> 11:12 AM)
Agreed on all points, but I also wouldn't mind seeing our highest OBP directly in front of Abreu in the two hole vs. RHP.

Yeah I was just thinking more prototypically where you'd put Gillaspie but that is all under the assumption that White Sox baseball is actually going to be worth watching at some point in the future here. As it is now I think you can justify batting Connor anywhere so long as he gets a lot of ABs and has some chance to either, 1) get on for Abreu, or 2) drive in Abreu. LOL we suck.