ALL-STAR GAME THREAD 7/15: NL @ AL

cabiness42

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 07:37 AM)
Exactly. I still don't get why it was a big deal that the game in Miller Park tied, anyway. I miss when they used to "goof around" and have fun during the All-Star Game.

The NHL and NBA do All-Star festivities right. Also, MLB needs to find something other than this conventional HR derby. Did anyone sit through that 4 hours?

I watched the first round (and luckily saw that 510' bomb by Stanton), but I was done after that.

As far as the game, I agree it should not count for anything. It should just be a showcase of the (supposed) best players in the game. Even though no teams are mathematically eliminated yet, there are teams that have no chance to make the post season. What are the players of those teams playing for? I'm not saying the guys aren't going to try, but I would imagine there are all different mindsets in that game.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 08:13 AM)
I watched the first round (and luckily saw that 510' bomb by Stanton), but I was done after that.

As far as the game, I agree it should not count for anything. It should just be a showcase of the (supposed) best players in the game. Even though no teams are mathematically eliminated yet, there are teams that have no chance to make the post season. What are the players of those teams playing for? I'm not saying the guys aren't going to try, but I would imagine there are all different mindsets in that game.

The FOX announcers just kept drooling over Stanton's power, strongest guy in MLB, etc. I kind of wish Abreu participated in the HR Derby just to see how his power would size up against Stanton's with those juiced balls. I realize Stanton's power is "legendary," but Abreu is supposed to be pretty strong himself, and as a fan, I would have liked to see that.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 07:37 AM)
Exactly. I still don't get why it was a big deal that the game in Miller Park tied, anyway. I miss when they used to "goof around" and have fun during the All-Star Game.

The NHL and NBA do All-Star festivities right. Also, MLB needs to find something other than this conventional HR derby. Did anyone sit through that 4 hours?

To me the NBA allstar game is a ton of fun to watch cause everyone knows it's just a show and the players have fun with that.

This whole the game counts thing but we're still going to have fans vote and kind of try but not really is beyond stupid.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 06:30 AM)
I have zero problem with Wainwright grooving a pitch to Jeter. The problem is that the All-Star Game shouldn't count. You can't have it both ways. Every team must be represented and 40-year old Derek Jeter can lead off, but game 7 of the WS is on the line. That's silly. An All-Star game should be about the top players and stars being honored, having some fun and showing off their skills to the fans. Just like the other major sports do it.

Preach. The Cal Ripken ASG was one of my all-time favorite all star memories. Why ruin it? The ASG shouldn't count. It should be what is always was... a chance for the best in baseball to make us go wow.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 11:53 AM)
To me the NBA allstar game is a ton of fun to watch cause everyone knows it's just a show and the players have fun with that.

This whole the game counts thing but we're still going to have fans vote and kind of try but not really is beyond stupid.

That's pretty well said. Do you think if managers selected the entire roster, with only the goal to beat the other league, we would see some epic games that the fans would actually enjoy MORE? 3 game series?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 12:12 PM)
That's pretty well said. Do you think if managers selected the entire roster, with only the goal to beat the other league, we would see some epic games that the fans would actually enjoy MORE? 3 game series?

It shouldn't matter how the roster gets selected. I know it makes for great twitter fodder, but at the end of the day, the ASG should all be about the individual players, and not winning a game.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 12:17 PM)
It shouldn't matter how the roster gets selected. I know it makes for great twitter fodder, but at the end of the day, the ASG should all be about the individual players, and not winning a game.

Totally. It should just be the best players, but I gotta defer to Hawk here, it's the fans' game.

What if we alternated years?

Even years: Keep most of the current rules - fans vote in the starters, expanded rosters, every team represented, try to get as many players as possible into the game

Odd years: Best possible 25 man rosters selected for each team - no fan vote, not every team has to be represented, managers' #1 objective is to win game