Brady Aiken DID NOT SIGN

Y2Jimmy0

Would anyone really want to draft Aiken after all this news about his UCL? If he's that prone to a future injury, why would anyone want him? That's like drafting Kerry Wood or Prior with foresight about their injury plagued careers. Not the the Astros didn't screwed the pooch on this one, plus treated Aiken terribly. I feel sorry for Astros fans.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11233212...ick-brady-aiken

Those last comments (from the story) are going to come back to haunt Luhnow a bit unless Aiken's elbow goes out before he makes it to the majors.

"Today, two young men should be one step closer to realizing their dreams of becoming Major League ballplayers," union head Tony Clark said in a statement. "Because of the actions of the Houston Astros, they are not. The MLBPA, the players and their advisers are exploring all legal options."

Wonder how much more money they'll spend litigating all the cases against them...?

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 08:11 PM)
Would anyone really want to draft Aiken after all this news about his UCL? If he's that prone to a future injury, why would anyone want him? That's like drafting Kerry Wood or Prior with foresight about their injury plagued careers. Not the the Astros didn't screwed the pooch on this one, plus treated Aiken terribly. I feel sorry for Astros fans.

I would have a guy like Kerry Wood on my team as a GM, but I would still draft Aiken top 5 next year assuming that he performs worthy of that selection.

By not signing Aiken, Houston lost not just the amount it offered him, but its entire $7.9 million allotment for the top pick, leaving the team with a bonus pool of just $5.4 million to pay all its other draftees from the first 10 rounds. As in 2012 and '13, the Astros had hoped to use the savings from the below-slot signing of their first pick to increase the bonuses of lower picks — in this year's case, fifth-rounder Jacob Nix and 21st-rounder Mac Marshall, both pitchers. ​That smaller amount left them unable to sign Nix and Marshall, who will now pitch at UCLA and LSU, respectively.

All of which suggests that Houston was willing to shoot itself in the foot over a $1.5 million gap between the club and Aiken, an amount that happens to be the annual cost of three minimum-salary major league players. That's mind-boggling given what the team was prepared to spend a month ago.

Aiken is committed to UCLA, but it is possible that the NCAA's ridiculous policy regarding "student-athlete" representation could cost him his eligibility. If he attends school in Westwood, he won't be eligible for the draft again until 2017, after his junior year. Aiken could instead go to a junior college for a year and re-enter the draft in 2015. He could also sign with an independent team, as Aaron Crow, Luke Hochevar and Tanner Scheppers have done in recent years, and still be in next year's draft.

There's one other, more drastic possibility: Aiken could be declared a free agent if he pursues and wins either a lawsuit in the courts or a grievance through the Major League Baseball Players Association. MLBPA shares some fault in the matter, having agreed to the draft spending limits and the bonus pool system in the most recent Collective Bargaining Agreement, but placed the blame for the contract situation on the Astros. In its statement, the MLBPA said that the affected players "should be one step closer to realizing their dreams of becoming Major League ballplayers. Because of the actions of the Houston Astros, they are not."

The Astros also released a statement, which read in part: "We are disappointed that we were not able to reach an agreement with Brady Aiken today. ... The Astros' offer to Brady was extremely fair considering all the factors involved in this case. As always, we approached these negotiations in good faith and with the best interests of the Astros' organization in mind, both short-term and long-term. Throughout this entire process, we have absolutely acted within Major League Baseball's rules and guidelines, which MLB has confirmed on numerous occasions."

The failure to sign the three picks won’t make Luhnow’s job any easier, as this will likely hurt his standing with many agents. The GM has faced criticism from former players such as Jed Lowrie and Bud Norris over the team’s analytical bent and its connection to contract negotiations. Luhnow has also come under scrutiny over the delay of George Springer’s promotion to the majors due to his unwillingness to agree to a team-friendly, long-term deal.

(Not to mention the "insider trade talks" leak...and instead of having three of Buxton, Bryant and Rodon/Kolek/Aiken, Luhnow currently has an injured Correa and a disappointing Appel)

http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/07/18/houston-a...ick-brady-aiken

Edited by caulfield12

I wouldn't immediately jump to the conclusion that Astros are in the wrong, here. If the kid's medicals look like s***, they look like s***.

With that said, I wonder if Close feels that he can get free agency for Aiken now, which is why he apparently advised him to balk at all offers.

A few thoughts:

The different opinions of the doctors. The Astro's doctor is the buyer's doctor, the other three doctors are the seller's doctors. I just bought a home. We looked at the home inspection report a whole lot differently than the seller. Same thing here. If you are spending some serious coin, you will look at things differently. And who knows what credentials as sports docs those three had?

I just completed NCAA eligibility training as a HS coach. The rules are loosening up trying to find a happy middle. It is terrible that a HS kid is forced into negotiating a multi-million dollar contract on his own, with an adviser at arms length.

This was just bad for everyone and it seems the Astros are the biggest offenders.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/keith-law/...-a-total-fiasco

That is Keith Law's take and it's an Insider article.

Keith basically talks about how there are no winners in the situation. He advocates for a July draft so they can have a combine of some sorts to check all players medically but references how it would mess with schedules for short season ball and colleges. Law said that the Astros didn't feel comfortable with the "abnormality" and he went into it. He also said that the Marlins, Cubs, and White Sox would have gladly taken Aiken anyway though. He talked about the deal with Nix but basically said that they couldn't give him the $1.5 million because he's good but nobody is good enough to forfeit next year's 1st and 2nd rounder for. Law has been against the current draft structure and I agree. The new rules have obviously helped the White Sox and I'm selfishly grateful for that. However, I hate the slotting. I preferred when teams could pay whatever they wanted. But obviously that's just me.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 19, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/keith-law/...-a-total-fiasco

That is Keith Law's take and it's an Insider article.

Keith basically talks about how there are no winners in the situation. He advocates for a July draft so they can have a combine of some sorts to check all players medically but references how it would mess with schedules for short season ball and colleges. Law said that the Astros didn't feel comfortable with the "abnormality" and he went into it. He also said that the Marlins, Cubs, and White Sox would have gladly taken Aiken anyway though. He talked about the deal with Nix but basically said that they couldn't give him the $1.5 million because he's good but nobody is good enough to forfeit next year's 1st and 2nd rounder for. Law has been against the current draft structure and I agree. The new rules have obviously helped the White Sox and I'm selfishly grateful for that. However, I hate the slotting. I preferred when teams could pay whatever they wanted. But obviously that's just me.

did he put in a disclaimer that the Astros offered him a job a couple of years ago?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 19, 2014 -> 11:01 AM)
did he put in a disclaimer that the Astros offered him a job a couple of years ago?

Why would that have anything to do with this? He turned down that job. Wanted to be with his family and he has a pretty cake job at ESPN.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 19, 2014 -> 11:32 AM)
Why would that have anything to do with this? He turned down that job. Wanted to be with his family and he has a pretty cake job at ESPN.

Because he is buddy buddy with some of the Astros FO. If the regime that dumped him in Toronto was still around and they pulled this, I am sure his take would be a little different.

It is funny a guy who thought Chris Sale and Jose Abreu were White Sox mistakes, gets so much respect. He is a clown.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 19, 2014 -> 11:57 AM)
Because he is buddy buddy with some of the Astros FO. If the regime that dumped him in Toronto was still around and they pulled this, I am sure his take would be a little different.

It is funny a guy who thought Chris Sale and Jose Abreu were White Sox mistakes, gets so much respect. He is a clown.

You don't read his stuff but you act like he's subjective in his writing about the Astros? What was said in there that isn't true? If you don't like Keith Law that's totally fine and understandable but if you don't think he was objective then you didn't read the piece.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 19, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
You don't read his stuff but you act like he's subjective in his writing about the Astros? What was said in there that isn't true? If you don't like Keith Law that's totally fine and understandable but if you don't think he was objective then you didn't read the piece.

I have read the little posted. If you think if every other team in baseball did the same thing, he would write the same piece, that's fine. I don't.

there are several things I would write about this whole thing, but I don't have time this

weekend.

here is 1 major thing I am thinking of, I really hope Aiken does not get hurt. the reason is,

if he does get hurt, esp his arm, this will give a reason for HOU to say, "see, we told you so".

I just don't want HOU to be right in this matter.

http://www.astroscounty.com/p/you-are-jeff-luhnow.html

Adventure Games with Aiken, you are Jeff Luhnow. TRY TO NEGOTIATE ALL THE STEPS WITHOUT DYING OF DYSENTERY.

http://www.astroscounty.com/p/page-24.html

You are agent Casey Close..."King of the World"

*Jeff Luhnow calls back immediately* "Hey, I think we got disconn-."

*Close hangs up*

"Who was it," asks Brady Aiken.

"Nobody," says Casey Close.

"What did you do that for?" Aiken asks.

"Well, Brady, have a seat." *Aiken sits on Close's knee* "The Astros think you could possibly get injured, and they would like to give you - and me, don't forget that part ha ha ha - less money because of that risk. They say you have an abnormally small UCL. And that's ridiculous. You're an elite pitcher. They're the ones who took you with the #1 overall pick. You're the first high school pitcher to be drafted first overall since 1991. There are inherent risks. They knew those risks. You're an elite pitcher. Hell, Jeff Luhnow said you were the most advanced high school pitcher he'd ever seen. Why would he not bet on you?"

Aiken thinks, "To be clear, I am not injured. But the Astros think I could be at some point down the road, and so they have decided to cut their offer by the amount they're paying Jesse Crain to not pitch for them."

"Correct," Close replies.

"Screw them."

I'm glad to see the draft lovers on this board have not wanted the Sox to tank this season to get a high draft pick. This case again shows the uncertainty of the draft. What if the Sox would have drafted this guy and they not signed him or his arm woulda fallen off so to speak in the minors? I haven't read the threads, but certainly some Sox fans would have loved to draft this guy. What did Houston get out of having the worst record last year? Nothing.

It's all a crapshoot, baby.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 20, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
I'm glad to see the draft lovers on this board have not wanted the Sox to tank this season to get a high draft pick. This case again shows the uncertainty of the draft. What if the Sox would have drafted this guy and they not signed him or his arm woulda fallen off so to speak in the minors? I haven't read the threads, but certainly some Sox fans would have loved to draft this guy. What did Houston get out of having the worst record last year? Nothing.

It's all a crapshoot, baby.

What if Abreu gets hit in the head by an acorn while walking through the park by a wayward squirrel and forgets who he is. What if Sale slips on a banana and hurts his right asscheek. Aiken has a smaller UCL and is still throwing 97 mph and is not injured. The common sense people wanted to take a bad season and turn it into something that will help the team for years. There were 3 pitchers that everyone had spun up as 1a, 1b, and 1c. There is risk in everything. Keep sticking your head in the sand with the "draft lovers" statements. Its these cartoon-like statements that have people dismissing just about everything you type.

Edited by southsideirish71