Brady Aiken DID NOT SIGN

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)
Argue special circumstance, the Astros are dicks, and then subsequently lose said case.

I see no circumstances under which MLB is willing to open even the possibility of that happening. They do not want to give that kind of latitude to any draftee. Even if it starts as a special exemption, the next guy now is able to come along and argue that he deserves the same considerations.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AUG. 27, 4:51pm: The Astros are highly unlikely to be afforded any chance to sign Aiken, a source tells Evan Drellich of the Houston Chronicle. The source also expressed the belief that Selig must have been referring to Nix.

Given the present state of confusion, it should be noted that Aiken could at least theoretically be seeking to receive some accommodation from the league that would not be directly tied to Houston’s own rights, obligations, and interests moving forward. That hypothetical possibility would potentially square reports that the club is not talking with the first overall choice with Selig’s comment that a “solution” of some kind is being pursued.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 01:41 AM)
Nope.

Nix is also there (who was part of the same draft and already settled out of court with the Astros about losing his $1.5 million after the Aiken negotiations fell apart).

thanks for the update.

i totally forgot about Nix.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 11:41 AM)
He will be able to be drafted in the 2015 draft. I even saw a writer say yesterday that he could go #1 again.

Is Houston #1? If they are, I think I read somewhere, the player has to give the OK for the team that didn't sign them the year before to draft them again.

• 2 weeks later...

Brady Aiken underwent Tommy John surgery on Wednesday.

Last year's No. 1 overall pick left his first outing with IMG Academy last Thursday with an arm injury, and now everyone's worst fears have been realized. Aiken, of course, didn't sign after being picked by the Astros but had a shot to again be the No. 1 pick in 2015. The young lefty will now be sidelined for the next year-plus, but it's still possible he's a first-round pick in June.

Source: ThePlayersTribune.com

So last year when Aiken's agent said nothing was wrong with him and ripped Houston he was wrong.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 06:45 PM)
Brady Aiken underwent Tommy John surgery on Wednesday.

Last year's No. 1 overall pick left his first outing with IMG Academy last Thursday with an arm injury, and now everyone's worst fears have been realized. Aiken, of course, didn't sign after being picked by the Astros but had a shot to again be the No. 1 pick in 2015. The young lefty will now be sidelined for the next year-plus, but it's still possible he's a first-round pick in June.

Source: ThePlayersTribune.com

So last year when Aiken's agent said nothing was wrong with him and ripped Houston he was wrong.

That isn't necessarily true.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 07:05 PM)
yeah, someone can look it that way, but i bet Hou will still try spin doctoring it.

There is also a very real chance that because he has been away from the game and real training staff's since the middle of last summer, he hurt himself in a million different ways, such as trying to prove to everyone that he was worthy of still being the #1 pick.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 01:11 AM)
There is also a very real chance that because he has been away from the game and real training staff's since the middle of last summer, he hurt himself in a million different ways, such as trying to prove to everyone that he was worthy of still being the #1 pick.

another good one, i guess this goes to show how the media will take this and run with the excuses for and against.

good job.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 07:05 PM)
yeah, someone can look it that way, but i bet Hou will still try spin doctoring it.

Houston doesn't have to spin anything. They were worried about his elbow and they were proven correct to worry. They have had nothing to do with him

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 01:16 AM)
Houston doesn't have to spin anything. They were worried about his elbow and they were proven correct to worry. They have had nothing to do with him

Hou took a huge hit at the time, i guess if they want to not take the high road, they can say in 1 statement, " we had some concerns" or "we told you so"