Brady Aiken DID NOT SIGN

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 02:36 PM)
Can you think of another team probably in the mix for a top five pick that this hurts?

I seriously think that the Astros will lose their first pick due to their actions. Hell, you can't talk with the agent and their GM plainly stated "I tried calling his agent three times today."

Or am I just completely missing something?

Idiots!

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)
Can you think of another team probably in the mix for a top five pick that this hurts?

I hope we finish in the bottom ten at least, from a FA standpoint. This means 11 protected picks next year given that Houston will have two, correct?

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 04:26 PM)
Evan Drellich ‏@EvanDrellich 53s

“We tried to engage Casey Close three times today … there was no interest” — GM Jeff Luhnow tells the Chronicle

Reply 3 Retweet Favorite

Houston we have a problem and it is upper management!

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 04:41 PM)
I hope we finish in the bottom ten at least, from a FA standpoint. This means 11 protected picks next year given that Houston will have two, correct?

Not sure how that works (I'm guessing you're correct), but I don't mind either way having a protected or unprotected 1st round pick. Odds are very good that the Sox will not sign someone requiring draft pick compensation next year anyways, and if they do, I can pretty single handedly assure you that we as fans won't give a rip because we will either love or hate the signing itself.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 03:47 PM)
Not sure how that works (I'm guessing you're correct), but I don't mind either way having a protected or unprotected 1st round pick. Odds are very good that the Sox will not sign someone requiring draft pick compensation next year anyways, and if they do, I can pretty single handedly assure you that we as fans won't give a rip because we will either love or hate the signing itself.

I'm thinking that you're probably right, and they'll likely stay in the non-QO FA sector, but who knows? Even a big signing won't have me feeling great about losing an 11-15th pick when there are so many holes to be filled. I want a big (or fairly big) signing AND a 1st rounder. Does Russell Martin get a QO?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 04:47 PM)

Top 11 will indeed be protected because of this.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)
I seriously think that the Astros will lose their first pick due to their actions. Hell, you can't talk with the agent and their GM plainly stated "I tried calling his agent three times today."

Or am I just completely missing something?

Idiots!

I think you're missing something.

If you're talking about Aiken having an "agent" as opposed to a "family advisor," than that may be problematic for the player in terms of his college eligibility, but I am not certain how closely that is enforced, to be perfectly honest.

If Astros said publicly they contacted Casey Close, that's like an extra kick in the ass they put on Aiken. Could further jeopardize his ability to play in NCAA this next year.

On the other hand, Aiken's camp not even responding to a $5M offer is pretty insane too.

Hard to see a way this isn't some real stupid gambling from BOTH sides.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 04:26 PM)
Evan Drellich ‏@EvanDrellich 53s

“We tried to engage Casey Close three times today … there was no interest” — GM Jeff Luhnow tells the Chronicle

Reply 3 Retweet Favorite

As if they have not tried to f*** him over enough, now they hint agent not advisor.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 03:01 PM)
I think you're missing something.

If you're talking about Aiken having an "agent" as opposed to a "family advisor," than that may be problematic for the player in terms of his college eligibility, but I am not certain how closely that is enforced, to be perfectly honest.

Ah. Good lord Houston, asshole of the day award goes to you.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 6m

Scary Astros possibility: If Nix wins grievance to pay agreed-upon $1.5M, Houston 17% over bonus pool, would forfeit next two 1st-rd picks.

I hope it happens

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 06:02 PM)
On the other hand, Aiken's camp not even responding to a $5M offer is pretty insane too.

I kind of thought the whole time the Astros were trying to game the system. Scare him into thinking he would only get $3 million or have to go to college when he was already counting the money, then use that as leverage to low-ball him on some number below the original offer. "He should be happy to get $5 mil, he was only gonna get $3.1" It appears that's what they did.

Seems to have blown up in there face, which is nice.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 04:57 PM)
Top 11 will indeed be protected because of this.

Not so sure about that. The year after the Pirates missed out on Appel they were given the 9th overall pick. The Mets were picking 11th and should have been picking 10th. They wanted to sign Michael Bourne but would have had to forfeit pick #11 even though they finished with the #10 pick record wise.

Also, with how the Astros did business here, I think Aiken would have turned down a last ditch effort of $6.5 million. Would you really want that organization in charge of your development? Aiken will pitch in Indy ball or JUCO and be a top 5 pick again next year.

Luhnow: “We did nothing unethical, we did nothing disingenuous. We tried to sign good players at the appropriate values”

— Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) July 18, 2014

What the Astros found in his physical created enough discord that major league baseball’s draft system could be altered after the 2016 season, when the CBA expires. The slotting system, which attaches a dollar value to every pick in the first 10 rounds, effectively keeps teams from treating individual picks as individual picks, making them pieces of the puzzle instead.

The Astros will receive the second pick in the 2015 draft as compensation for not reaching a deal with Aiken.

“It’s disappointing. I’m not going to say it isn’t. we’ll just regroup,” Jim Crane said.

— Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) July 18, 2014

For Aiken, he can fulfill his commitment to UCLA and be eligible for the draft after three seasons or go to a junior college and be eligible for the 2015 draft.

www.houstonchronicle.com/sports

Astros looking even dumber releasing the "insider" information that they re-upped their offer at the last minute and an amateur player turned down $5 or $5.1 million...shows just how much distaste they (Aiken/Close/Nix) had for the organization, as well as the possibility of a lawsuit/appeal/grievance in the works going forward.

Two years ago, they had a shot at Buxton and passed. Then Bryant. So they've lost out on Buxton, Bryant and Aiken/Kolek/Rodon and have Correa (injured), Appel (injured/under-performing) and nothing else to show for it. So much for their 2017 World Series win over the Cubs. SI JINX!

Brady Aiken vs. the Astros: Top overall pick fails to sign with Houston

By David Coleman  @MDavidColeman on Jul 18 2014, 4:49p 334

Rich Schultz

It happened. And not in a good way.

 TWEET (12) SHARE (9)  SHARE 334 COMMENTS ⋆ REC 1

Do you know what happens when a front office who has never won anything gets a reputation as being arrogant?

Do you know what happens when any front office gets that reputation?

People enjoy seeing them fail. Doesn't matter what they fail at. It could be their manager not knowing the rules. It could be getting their private communication system breached.

Or, it could happen when a team fails to sign the No. 1 overall pick for the third time in baseball history.

On Friday, the MLB deadline for draft picks to sign with teams came and went without Houston reaching a deal with either No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken or fifth-round pick Jacob Nix. Word was that the Astros attempted to negotiate with Aiken's agent, Casey Close, throughout the day Friday, but were rebuffed.

Reportedly, the offer reached as high as $5 million, but Houston couldn't get the Aiken camp to engage.

For his part, Astros GM Jeff Luhnow says his team did nothing wrong:

But, facts are facts. Houston failed to sign the top overall player in the 2014 draft. Brady Aiken was the consensus best talent in the draft, even before his smaller-than-normal UCL was reportedly discovered in medical exams last month.

In not signing Aiken, Houston also missed out on talented prep pitcher Jacob Nix, who had reportedly reached an agreement with the team for $1.5 milllion and passed his physical. But, signing Nix would have forced the Astros to exceed their bonus pool by 17 percent and meant they'd give up a first and a second round pick next season.

Where do the Astros go from here?

By offering Aiken $3.1 million previously, the Astros gain the right to the No. 2 pick in next year's draft for failing to sign Aiken. What's unclear at this point is whether the union will file a grievance on behalf of Jacob Nix. There is a small chance the Astros could be forced to sign him, but a more likely scenario will be that an independent arbitrator rules that Nix can become a free agent and sign with any team.

Also watch for talk about Aiken's eligibility. If his camp wants to see an unfeeling, heartless, cold and calculating organization, try dealing with the NCAA. The fact that the Astros contacted Close numerous times Friday (which became public knowledge) very likely means the NCAA will shut down Aiken's eligibility even if the Astros don't file the paperwork like the Phillies did with Ben Wexler.

Which means Aiken could go to junior college and become a top pick in next year's draft.

Just don't bet on the Astros taking him again. For that to happen, Aiken would have to sign a waiver saying he accepts being drafted again by the Astros. With the way things played out Friday, it sounds like Aiken made the business personal, dug in his heels and refused to negotiate at all with the Astros.

Bottom line: Astros fans lose. The team has been mocked mercilessly on Twitter by everyone involved. There could be union action against them and the front office's job security just got much more unstable.

TGIF, everyone.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 06:37 PM)
Can someone please give me a winner in this situation? UCLA I guess?

Losers: Lunhow, Aiken, Casey Close, Astros organization, Astros credibility, Cubs, Rangers, Rays, other teams with a chance at a top pick, etc.

Luhnow.

fwiw, Nix has a 50/50 shot at being declared a free agent and having an open bidding war for his services, which would benefit Close as his agent.

Don't count on UCLA getting Aiken either.

Read that again. Brady Aiken does not have much of an ulnar collateral ligament, which connects the parts of the elbow to one another. According to our resident Doctor Brooks, this condition might contribute to Aiken's ability to throw 97 mph because there is less mechanical resistance to the moving parts of his arm, but it certainly increases the likelihood of catastrophic injury. Additionally, surgery to add a functional UCL into his arm could very well slow his arm action and reduce his velocity.

Incidentally, former Cy Young Winner R.A. Dickey does not have a UCL. But to succeed with his condition after a series of well-publicized struggles to pitch professionally, Dickey had to turn to the knuckleball and was not truly successful until age 34. Not a great comp for a 1-1 draft pick half his age.

To me, this is yet another data point to illustrate the risk of drafting a High School pitcher so highly in the draft. At $7 million, you just don't know enough information.

It's easy to imagine a scenario where Aiken goes to college, has general soreness, and the rolling-in-money Athletic Department shells out for an MRI that he might never receive from a High School with limited budget.

The MRI would uncover the same thing the Astros found, and it probably would become, if not public knowledge, at least common knowledge among professional baseball scouts and front offices. That would severely damage his draft stock.

One more conspiratorially-minded wonders if his parents knew about this issue, and that this is why they so carefully monitored his work load in High School, to minimize the chance of injury and maximize his chance of being drafted highly. If so, it worked, because Aiken still stands to make at least 40% of the recommended bonus slot, or $3.2 million.

With this information now available (even anonymously sourced), there is no chance that if Aiken chooses College or JuCo to return to the draft at a later date that he will be drafted highly enough to receive even that much money. In other words - it's either take what the Astros offer or make far less later down the road...if his elbow even holds together, which no longer seems like a safe bet.

Once again though, the Astros have taken a pounding in the court of public opinion, but have somehow stayed the course by not smearing the Aiken camp in the media or by outing his "representative" Casey Close to the NCAA and thereby preventing Aiken from even having college as an option.

In this case, it seems that the Astros could be in the right. In the worst case for them, they will be paying over $3.2 million for a player who has a real chance of not making it to the major leagues at all.

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2014/7/16/590...-comes-to-light

Edited by caulfield12