Trade targets

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 02:16 PM)
What should be the general order of positions of players that Sox should target at the break?

SP?

C?

SS?

LF?

3B?

RP?

I think the catching position would be a priority, but at this point, I honestly think we need to be focusing on the best players available more so than zeroing in on certain positions.

It might be different if we had any really valuable assets we were willing to move, but as far as I know, that is not the case.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 09:16 PM)
What should be the general order of positions of players that Sox should target at the break?

SP?

C?

SS?

LF?

3B?

RP?

I think you want a simple anw but it is not that simple. I think

-re- sp we need in the offseason a free agent

-ss I am ok, maybe start looking for a replacement prospect of 4 yrs younger

-3b same as ss

-I think either a cat or an outfielder.

We need talent throughout the organization. I'm all for moving Danks, Ramirez first because their value is better than Tank and Beckham. Hopefully we can move Tank and Beckham also. Not sure what value they have.

Need to add pitching, catcher. I'm hoping we can steal some talent in the Ramirez and Danks trades.

Yeah catcher is the obvious top need. Personally I'm not as worried about SP as others. I don't really care what hand they throw with, Sale, Quintana, and Rodon should make up a very good 1,2,3 punch for a long time. Filling the 4,5, and bullpen shouldn't be too difficult and shouldn't really be a top priority in my opinion.

Of course I fully expect a power pitcher in A ball and a "toolsy" OF who can't quite put it together coming back to us in any trade.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 04:20 PM)
I honestly think we need to be focusing on the best players available more so than zeroing in on certain positions.

It might be different if we had any really valuable assets we were willing to move, but as far as I know, that is not the case.

Agree

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 04:19 PM)
Pitching, pitching, pitching, pitching, and more pitching.

This . I'd put catcher pretty much at the bottom of the list. There just isn't a lot of good catchers around. Why waste assets trying to get a mediocre one ? Any veteran free agent catcher can fill the slot. Guys like Susuki and Navarro were available for cheap. Just go that route in the offseason.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 09:47 PM)
I'd put catcher pretty much at the bottom of the list. There just isn't a lot of good catchers around. Why waste assets trying to get a mediocre one ? Any veteran free agent catcher can fill the slot. Guys like Susuki and Navarro were available for cheap. Just go that route in the offseason.

I feel the exact same way. The upside of a catcher is too low to justify wasting good assets. A mediocre, bottom of the order, decent to good glove catcher is all the team needs. I think the Sox should target a potential impact OF first, along with the perennial need for pitching.

:angry:

QUOTE (bulokis @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)
Tell that to the Cubs (but they did collect great hitting spects). I would say pitching, L handed bat to complement Abreu and a starting catcher.

IMO I can see us trading for at least one starting pitcher (AAA level, good prospect). A starting catcher (AAA level good prospect) and a starting left fielder (AAA level good prospect)

With the pieces we have in place, the rest are meh.

I think we'll trade away Viciedo, Beckham, Danks, De Aza and Dunn.

I think we'll keep Alexei.

In the off-season, if Hahn doesn't get the above, then he'll scour the free agent market and try to trade for one. He'll also be on the hunt for some bullpen pieces and a closer in the off-season. I think Hahn will be looking to start to compete next year.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
I just don't see us getting anything of real quality back if we don't move Alexei.

I agree, but with the way Danks has been pitching, he's also a pretty nice trade asset.

On the downside, who replaces him in the rotation?

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)
I agree, but with the way Danks has been pitching, he's also a pretty nice trade asset.

On the downside, who replaces him in the rotation?

He doesn't have surplus value though, because his contract pays him every penny he's worth and then a touch more. You'd have to take the entire contract and then still find someone who believes his season is for real. Maybe that's a good move for us, but I don't think it's likely to occur.

Which, IMO, makes him worth more to us than anyone else. We should at least be able to expect him to hold down our 3 or 4 spot in a serviceable manner for the next couple years.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 01:42 PM)
Sox need righthanded starting pitching. Best way to get that is through free agency.

Also desperately need a catcher, but are any out there?

Also could use a great hitting third baseman.

That's not the best. It's the easiest, but also the most expensive monetarily.

They need a catcher, but they should not rush into anything. Flowers is not a capable starter, but putting together a platoon with him and someone could be a possibility. He seems worn down.

Among 3B that have at least 250 plate appearances, Conor Gillaspie has the 4th highest wRC+, which means he has been a great hitting 3B, so problem solved, I guess.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 02:25 PM)
Where are people coming up with 3B as a position that needs upgrading? After 1B (Abreu), it's probably the position that least needs upgrading.

Yeah, Gillaspie is doing fine there, plus there's Davidson when (if) he's ready.

Pitching and catching would be where I think we need the help.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 12:47 PM)
He doesn't have surplus value though, because his contract pays him every penny he's worth and then a touch more. You'd have to take the entire contract and then still find someone who believes his season is for real. Maybe that's a good move for us, but I don't think it's likely to occur.

Which, IMO, makes him worth more to us than anyone else. We should at least be able to expect him to hold down our 3 or 4 spot in a serviceable manner for the next couple years.

Teams aren't trading for surplus value at the deadline, they're trading for production. That's not to say it doesn't come into play, but let's not pretend the value of a player is the same for a team four months into a playoff run vs. the offseason when more options are available. Starting pitching is always overvalued at the deadline.