White Sox claim Raul Fernandez

southsider2k5

Bobby Jenks, Matt Thornton, Gavin Floyd, John Danks....all thought to be expendable and a lost cause by their former teams before they got here. Is this guy going to work out? Who knows, there's a good chance not. I don't see how this is a move anybody would complain about.

I wouldn't lump Danks in with the other three. Danks was the piece Texas had to give up to get McCarthy. That just means they liked McCarthy better, not that they thought Danks was a lost cause.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 08:53 AM)
Bobby Jenks, Matt Thornton, Gavin Floyd, John Danks....all thought to be expendable and a lost cause by their former teams before they got here. Is this guy going to work out? Who knows, there's a good chance not. I don't see how this is a move anybody would complain about.

Jenks was the one acquired on waivers, and he was injured and had other issues besides just sucking at baseball. I'm not complaining about Hahn claiming him, but generally, waiver claims don't turn out to be big producers. Especially players who were waived totally based on baseball and nothing else. There is no thread on the White Sox 20th round draft pick, who probably has just as good of a chance if not better, than this guy.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 08:15 AM)
If his odds were 10 to 1, I doubt a guy making no money gets waived.

I understand the whole no risk, high reward thing, but why don't we preface it by saying, this guy obviously sucks so bad right now and is a longshot to be anything, or else he wouldn't be available for nothing. He throws hard, great. Maybe they can get something out of him, but there is a reason he was waived. Every team needs pitchers. Just think about how bad a White Sox minor league pitcher who throws 98 has to be to get waived.

Because, duh. Everyone here knows that. But the organization would be negligent if it weren't taking chances on these guys. The Rockies didn't want to put him on the 40 man roster, but felt they had to in order to keep him from getting picked in the Rule 5 draft. They were trying to slip him back off of the roster, and hoping no one would pick him up, because they needed the 40 man roster spot.

For the White Sox they have an open spot, and a history of being able to turn around a larger amount of pitchers than most.

There is no part of this transaction that needs a deep discussion or philosophical delving. The kid is in A ball, and doing poorly. The odds of his making it are very small. The Sox need talent, and are able to take a chance on this guy. If he fails, he follows the same road out that many before him have done.

Also worth pointing out is that the Sox are likely going to try and do the same thing the Rockies did, which is to slip him off the 40 man. They will wait a bit longer - probably in hopes that the Rockies deal someone and have to add a couple more guys on their 40-man to fill it up.

Consider this: He got through the entire NL unscathed. The bottom 5 teams of the AL did not want him. It's not inconceivable to think that the 9 teams above the Sox in the AL will pass on him to put him on the 40-man as well. He's a 24 year old pitching poorly in A ball with a golden arm. Nobody is going to claim him if he goes on waivers, save perhaps the Rockies.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 11:04 AM)
Also worth pointing out is that the Sox are likely going to try and do the same thing the Rockies did, which is to slip him off the 40 man. They will wait a bit longer - probably in hopes that the Rockies deal someone and have to add a couple more guys on their 40-man to fill it up.

Consider this: He got through the entire NL unscathed. The bottom 5 teams of the AL did not want him. It's not inconceivable to think that the 9 teams above the Sox in the AL will pass on him to put him on the 40-man as well. He's a 24 year old pitching poorly in A ball with a golden arm. Nobody is going to claim him if he goes on waivers, save perhaps the Rockies.

Also would not shock me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
Because, duh. Everyone here knows that. But the organization would be negligent if it weren't taking chances on these guys. The Rockies didn't want to put him on the 40 man roster, but felt they had to in order to keep him from getting picked in the Rule 5 draft. They were trying to slip him back off of the roster, and hoping no one would pick him up, because they needed the 40 man roster spot.

For the White Sox they have an open spot, and a history of being able to turn around a larger amount of pitchers than most.

There is no part of this transaction that needs a deep discussion or philosophical delving. The kid is in A ball, and doing poorly. The odds of his making it are very small. The Sox need talent, and are able to take a chance on this guy. If he fails, he follows the same road out that many before him have done.

You are the one who thought he was thread worthy.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 07:12 AM)
He throws 99 MPH. Sometimes, you take a chance on these guys and they turn into all stars. Forget about his numbers.

Maybe it's OK to stop being cynical at every turn and realize that they can also just get rid of this guy for virtually no cost whatsoever too. There is no risk and a very high reward.

slight exaggeration.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 08:50 AM)
I wonder if Deck McGuire will be the next claim now that the Jays have DFA'ed him. Not the raw talent of Fernandez, but was a top 15 pick a few years ago out of college, so there is some level of talent there.

McGuire was a guy that people thought had a lot of steam building towards the Sox in the 2010 draft. Instead, they got some sidearm slinging lefty.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 09:07 AM)
Deck seems a lot like Axelrod at this point. Seems like we'd have claimed him if we didn't just get Wang.

That last sentence reads funny.

Seriously though, this board (including myself) had a major crush on Austin Wilson. And, if I looked correctly, there's only 1 mention of Chris Sale in that catch-all at all. The first mention of a player named Sale at all is in regards to Josh Sale, who is not very good.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77586

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)
That last sentence reads funny.

Seriously though, this board (including myself) had a major crush on Austin Wilson. And, if I looked correctly, there's only 1 mention of Chris Sale in that catch-all at all. The first mention of a player named Sale at all is in regards to Josh Sale, who is not very good.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77586

Just cuz it's Friday and it's fun to go back into time, DirtySox is the first person I see to make a mention at all:

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...t&p=2168667

I'm hoping Chris Sale might be around at 13.

*Crosses Fingers*

EDIT: http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...7853&st=150

You just can't beat immediate reactions.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 07:19 AM)
Just cuz it's Friday and it's fun to go back into time, DirtySox is the first person I see to make a mention at all:

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...t&p=2168667

EDIT: http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...7853&st=150

You just can't beat immediate reactions.

I was pretty smart. I was touting Harvey over the other pitchers. Not too shabby. I'll take Sale.

Edit: Of course I made lots of stupid comments too. Funny how one of the guys highly talked about, Stetson Allie, who had a huge arm, ended up being drafted by the Bucco's as a position player.