Matt Kemp?

GGajewski18

Just heard on SportsCenter that Kemp either wants to play, or wants to get traded. First, are any of you interested in Kemp if the Dodgers pick up most of his deal and what would you give up? Second, if they are not willing to eat any money, he's probably worth Chris Curley with that contract.

Thoughts on Kemp?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt Kemp has put up a .269/.329/.414/.743 line over the past 2 years, has played poor defense, has become an injury prone player, and he's due $107 million from 2015 through 2019.

There's virtually no difference between Matt Kemp and Dayan Viciedo except that Viciedo has youth on his side.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 09:37 AM)
Matt Kemp has put up a .269/.329/.414/.743 line over the past 2 years, has played poor defense, has become an injury prone player, and he's due $107 million from 2015 through 2019.

There's virtually no difference between Matt Kemp and Dayan Viciedo except that Viciedo has youth on his side.

And that extra $100 million you noted?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 07:37 AM)

Well, and that he's two years removed from an MVP-level campaign. Dayan's "platform" season, on the other hand, was the one where he hit 25 homers and still somehow managed not to touch 100 wRC+.

I'm not saying we should get him, but if a couple plausible conditions were met, it might be worth considering because it is indeed an upside play: (1) we believe that he is fully healthy (or soon to be) for the first time since his success, and (2) the Dodgers are willing to make him into a $50m investment (instead of $107m) and only ask for a few "interesting flyer" types of prospects. Something like Snodgress, Wendelken, and a random.

Ideally, this would correspond with a "change of scenery" trade that got rid of Viciedo and/or De Aza. You'd stick him in LF from day one and enjoy a rather nice defensive upgrade from those two guys (he's miscast in CF, but we have Eaton), and if he has trouble staying healthy, it's the perfect opportunity to shift into the A's-style rotating DH model (with the departures of both Dunn and Konerko) where we essentially carry 4 starting OFers and give them all plenty of rest.

Now, it would be a tremendous risk that I'm not even sure I'd take, but it does make some sense to consider given that we have few high payroll commitments and don't seem to be great fits with any big free agents coming soon.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 08:31 AM)
Just heard on SportsCenter that Kemp either wants to play, or wants to get traded. First, are any of you interested in Kemp if the Dodgers pick up most of his deal and what would you give up? Second, if they are not willing to eat any money, he's probably worth Chris Curley with that contract.

Thoughts on Kemp?

I would give up Erik Johnson for him if the Dodgers kicked in $50M and Joc Pederson.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)
Well, and that he's two years removed from an MVP-level campaign. Dayan's "platform" season, on the other hand, was the one where he hit 25 homers and still somehow managed not to touch 100 wRC+.

I'm not saying we should get him, but if a couple plausible conditions were met, it might be worth considering because it is indeed an upside play: (1) we believe that he is fully healthy (or soon to be) for the first time since his success, and (2) the Dodgers are willing to make him into a $50m investment (instead of $107m) and only ask for a few "interesting flyer" types of prospects. Something like Snodgress, Wendelken, and a random.

Ideally, this would correspond with a "change of scenery" trade that got rid of Viciedo and/or De Aza. You'd stick him in LF from day one and enjoy a rather nice defensive upgrade from those two guys (he's miscast in CF, but we have Eaton), and if he has trouble staying healthy, it's the perfect opportunity to shift into the A's-style rotating DH model (with the departures of both Dunn and Konerko) where we essentially carry 4 starting OFers and give them all plenty of rest.

Now, it would be a tremendous risk that I'm not even sure I'd take, but it does make some sense to consider given that we have few high payroll commitments and don't seem to be great fits with any big free agents coming soon.

You've made a very poor case here. If given the choice between Kemp and giving up Viciedo or having $50 million to spend on generic FA to fill positional needs I'm clearly leaning the latter.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)

He has been playing LF since Crawford was hurt and hasn't performed much better. At this point it appears the biggest obstacle he has is between his ears.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 08:08 AM)
You've made a very poor case here. If given the choice between Kemp and giving up Viciedo or having $50 million to spend on generic FA to fill positional needs I'm clearly leaning the latter.

That's fair. Like I said, I'm not sure I'd like it either, I just think there's enough there to think about it. Again, predicated on the fact that there's a decent chance Kemp could actually "return to form" if healthy.

But if it came down to us spending $50m on this or, say, Russell Martin, I'll take Martin every time.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 09:07 AM)
I like how everytime the Dodgers are mentioned as a trade partner for anything, inevitably people post "I just want Joc Pederson".

Because he would fit a need perfectly. An OF of Pederson, Eaton, and Garcia is cheap and has a ton of upside to contribute to the offensive core for the next 5 years.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 08:11 AM)
Because he would fit a need perfectly. An OF of Pederson, Eaton, and Garcia is cheap and has a ton of upside to contribute to the offensive core for the next 5 years.

Right but why would the Dodgers ever trade him? There's been no indication of him being available at all, and most of the reason Dodger OF trades come up in the first place is because they want to move someone expensive to make ROOM for Pederson.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 09:12 AM)
Right but why would the Dodgers ever trade him? There's been no indication of him being available at all, and most of the reason Dodger OF trades come up in the first place is because they want to move someone expensive to make ROOM for Pederson.

No idea why they would. He was mentioned as a piece in a trade for Price, and considering what the A's gave up, you would definitely have to think he is in play. Again, moving an OF doesn't open up space for Pederson, they have to move two, and outside of moving Puig, I don't see any way that their front office can move two of those contracts.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 09:11 AM)

anytime a trade partner is mentioned, finding one of their top prospects and saying "I just want this guy" is funny. Of course that OF would have a bunch of upside, but in a thread where we are talking about the Dodgers wanting to unload a highly paid poorly performing outfielder, why would you mention that you want their affordable up and coming prospect. It is just silly

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 03:07 PM)
I like how everytime the Dodgers are mentioned as a trade partner for anything, inevitably people post "I just want Joc Pederson".

The original poster is saying that we pick up an overpriced declining injury prone veteren for the outfield. I'm simply maki ng the point that a young up and coming hot hitting outfield star who is MLB ready and blocked would be a better answer than Matt Kemp.

If the original poster has said that we should go for Josh Beckett, then I would respond with "I'd rather have Zach Lee".

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)
anytime a trade partner is mentioned, finding one of their top prospects and saying "I just want this guy" is funny. Of course that OF would have a bunch of upside, but in a thread where we are talking about the Dodgers wanting to unload a highly paid poorly performing outfielder, why would you mention that you want their affordable up and coming prospect. It is just silly

I said I would take on half of Kemps contract if they threw in Pederson, because taking on Kemp is a huge financial risk and I would want that balanced with something else. The Erik Johnson thing was a joke. The Dodgers are going to have a bunch of money come due to re-up Greinke and Ramirez so maybe getting Kemp off their books is worth that much to them.

Realistically, taking on Kemp at all is a terrible idea. Why would the Sox take on a headcase that is owed $107M and underperforming? That is a less silly idea than targeting someone that may actually contribute to the long term success of the franchise? So blowing up the payroll to take on a bad player is good, and we should not entertain the idea of targeting excess prospects of a team that is trying to go all into win a WS.