Konerko is really bad at running the bases

Jake

I was thinking where is there value in this stat, and my only thought is to identify the guys who don't look slow but have slow player results? :huh

Contrast this to the Buerhle article. A legit question there is how does a totally average pitcher win 200 games? Stats may have answered the question, or at the minimum helped a great deal to understand his success.

What is the question being answered here? Is Konerko the worst base runner in baseball? Should Konerko be stealing more bases?

Konerko is the very definition of 20 speed. We've all seen the SS go into the 3rd base hole to field a ball where 99% of MLB hitters get an infield hit, and Konerko still gets thrown out by two strides. I still don't think this even should surprise anyone for how bad PK's baserunning is. We've seen it for a decade and a half now. Ever since the hip thing, he has been in the slowest runners in all of baseball.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
Konerko is the very definition of 20 speed. We've all seen the SS go into the 3rd base hole to field a ball where 99% of MLB hitters get an infield hit, and Konerko still gets thrown out by two strides. I still don't think this even should surprise anyone for how bad PK's baserunning is. We've seen it for a decade and a half now. Ever since the hip thing, he has been in the slowest runners in all of baseball.

Yep. He's literally the worst baserunner I've ever seen, with the one caveat being that I never saw Rich "El Guapo" Garces run the bases. Didn't need a stat to tell me that, but as Eminor said, quantifying how much it hurts run scoring is good info to have.