No Dunn trade talk?

knightni

Dunn is pretty much the only player that needs to be dealt since he's a free agent at the end of the season.

I doubt that the Sox would make him a qualifying offer since he might accept it, but what possibly could they get in return for him and who would be interested?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You take the most intriguing player you possibly can. That's either going to be a supremely talented player who can't hit or an arm that can touch 95 with absolutely no command, or something else (way to go out on a limb, I know). They'll get someone with upside, but it's not going to be pretty.

AL DH OPS:

Sox .842

Oakland: .690

Yankees: .651

Seattle: .564

There are three teams for whom Dunn would unquestionably be an upgrade. If I'm a fan of those teams, and a deal doesn't get made for Dunn, I would be PISSED!

If none of those three teams offer up something with at least a little bit of tangible value, I'd be shocked.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 11:04 AM)
AL DH OPS:

Sox .842

Oakland: .690

Yankees: .651

Seattle: .564

There are three teams for whom Dunn would unquestionably be an upgrade. If I'm a fan of those teams, and a deal doesn't get made for Dunn, I would be PISSED!

If none of those three teams offer up something with at least a little bit of tangible value, I'd be shocked.

Seattle doesn't need another lefty batter, The Yankees are out of it, and Oakland already spent by adding Samardzija and Hammel's salaries.

I dunno...

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:39 AM)
If there was a team interested in Dunn, I would be super surprised. Even for free, I don't think contending teams are taking him. OBP is not a good measuring stick for AD, and other teams know that.

No, but a .236/.372/.471/.843 and a 132 wRC+ against RHP surely will. The guy is a platoon player at this point in his career, but some team should find his bat useful in about the 5th or 6th slot in the lineup against RHP. Frankly, this seems like a Beane sort of move.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:39 AM)
If there was a team interested in Dunn, I would be super surprised. Even for free, I don't think contending teams are taking him. OBP is not a good measuring stick for AD, and other teams know that.

This an extremely uninformed opinion.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
No, but a .236/.372/.471/.843 and a 132 wRC+ against RHP surely will. The guy is a platoon player at this point in his career, but some team should find his bat useful in about the 5th or 6th slot in the lineup against RHP. Frankly, this seems like a Beane sort of move.

This. Dunn has value, it's just as a very specialized role player. There may not be a team with the right needs out there at the moment, but he can definitely be useful in the right situation.

Seattle doesn't need another lefty batter, The Yankees are out of it, and Oakland already spent by adding Samardzija and Hammel's salaries.

I dunno...

As a team Seattle is hitting .688 vs RHP, so they could use Dunn regardless of how many lefties they already have.

Yankees are only 1½ GB in WC

Maybe Oakland needs to get creative to work a deal, but they definitely could use Dunn.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:18 AM)

I dunno...

Yankees are 3 games out and 1.5 out of the wildcard, so not out of it at all. The Mariners need a LH hitter that can actually hit as Morrison is hitting .222/.280/.368 and Smoak is batting .210/.279/.356 in addition to Ackley hitting .225/.282/.335 in LF. They all provide the same average as Dunn without the power and walks to go with it. The Reds are another team that could have interest as a fill in for Votto for the next month and then a platoon partner with Ludwick after that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 12:41 PM)
I hope the M's realize that Dunns numbers probably get worse in Seattle, and that is kind of scary.

The power probably drops a smidge at home, but it will play just as well in their division as anywhere else. His OBP would be mostly unaffected and his walks may even see an uptick based on the pitching in that division.

I hope the M's realize that Dunns numbers probably get worse in Seattle, and that is kind of scary.

Why would you hope that? Closet M's fan? I wish for the opposite so the Sox get something in return.

wRC+ is park-adjusted and Dunn's is 119 this year. Seattle DH's are at 78.

I think, probably, that they realize it. I also think he would still be better than what they have.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 01:41 PM)

See, I actually think Dunn is a good fit for Seattle. If you look at his spray charts, more than 2/3 of his HR would still easily clear the fences in Seattle. When he hits them as we all know, he hits them a long way. Moving to Seattle would cost him a few HR but since his go 420 feet pretty often they'd still leave the park pretty often.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
See, I actually think Dunn is a good fit for Seattle. If you look at his spray charts, more than 2/3 of his HR would still easily clear the fences in Seattle. When he hits them as we all know, he hits them a long way. Moving to Seattle would cost him a few HR but since his go 420 feet pretty often they'd still leave the park pretty often.

That's assuming the ball has the same carry in the 2 parks, but generally, guys like Dunn aren't going to have their HR totals damaged too much by ballpark effect as long as the dimensions don't change their swing and approach. He doesn't hit too many that wind up in the first couple of rows.

At some point if you are a contender you have to ask yourself if Dunn for the stretch run is somebody you want to give a ton of at bats to. The answer is Gosh, NO!!

There are intangibles in baseball. One is called buzzkill. And you don't want Adam Dunn on your contending team. One of those 1-for-30 slumps will get the fans all hot and bothered and booing your contender. Would any GM risk his reputation on Adam Dunn at this point? I doubt it.

Now in the NL as a pinch hitter? I guess maybe.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)
At some point if you are a contender you have to ask yourself if Dunn for the stretch run is somebody you want to give a ton of at bats to. The answer is Gosh, NO!!

There are intangibles in baseball. One is called buzzkill. And you don't want Adam Dunn on your contending team. One of those 1-for-30 slumps will get the fans all hot and bothered and booing your contender. Would any GM risk his reputation on Adam Dunn at this point? I doubt it.

ooooooo Greg....

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)

There is a tangible thing in baseball too, and it's called murdering right handed pitching. Dunn does it. He's a useful player, it's just a very specific and limited use. You put him in Seattle's lineup at DH against RHP and it becomes quite a bit more formidable.

I suppose if anyone on thbe tesm could be seen leaving before the end of the month it might be Dunn. But, only if they pick up his salary. There is no need to trade anyone IMO. You hear it on this site al the time that we won't get anything in return anyway. Now I don't undervalue our players, but if you are going to trade to improve for 2015 then you do it (1) when you know our minor league guys can step in and play (and I don't really see that yet) and/or (2) you can get a good return that will help us at the big league level. And I don't mean a couple of minor league guys who might be 3 years away. We are not going to benefit this year by just giving up on one of our players for whatever is offered. Maybe the trades come during the off season? We might even go after some free agents. Who knows?