No Dunn trade talk?

knightni

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 10:17 AM)
It's not poor logic. It shows that putting up big numbers in Charlotte is not necessarily a sign you are a good prospect.

If Wilkins could put up an .800 OPS sure he would be valuable. But the odds of that happening aren't very high. This isn't a 21 or 22 or 24 year old. He will be 26. If he gets on base at .309 in AAA after a crazy hot streak, I don't see how that translates to anywhere near an .800 OPS at the major league level

It's terrible logic because eventually there are people who hit successfully in the big leagues.

And note how you edited what I said. An .800 OPS as a platoon player. You dropped the important part. He got off to a poor start this season and his OPS against righties is .913 and his OBP is .330. His walk rate isn't great against righties but it's 2.5 times what it is against lefties.

We'd have to have a person making the lineups who understands that and doesn't regularly play him against LHP based on those splits, but his numbers suggest the potential that he could fill a major league role that the White Sox actually need to fill.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 09:07 AM)
Yeah, I think the Wilkins love is fascinating, but reality says he will be 26 in less than 2 months and even with this hot streak, sports a .309 OBP in AAA. Phegley and Jordan Danks are also putting up big numbers and they couldn't do anything at the next level. Anyone actually thinking Wilkins is a really good prospect is thinking with their heart and not their head.

Geebus DA. Seriously, where do you come up with the love bs? Its about giving someone else a shot, that's it. Don't read so much into it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 10:18 AM)
Now trying being Brooks Boyer and selling that notion to the fanbase/prospective season ticket holders, unless Wilkins goes off like Josh Fields/Kevin Maas/Shane Spencer/Chris Shelton/Garrett Jones/Tuffy Rhodes for 4-6 weeks.

Who the Hell cares? Win some freaking ballgames.

QUOTE (glangon @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 09:14 AM)
We won't know if he is any good at the MLB until he gets exposed to MLB pitching.

I think we'll see him this year.

If Dunn is traded, we may see him July as the left handed DH / 1B option.

If he is not traded, i reckon we'll see him in the September call-ups.

He won't get a better chance to show what he can do and the White Sox have nothing to lose, he could be a cheap left handed power bat to spot Abreu on an offday and to man the DH spot. You never know until you give him a shot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 09:21 AM)
It's terrible logic because eventually there are people who hit successfully in the big leagues.

And note how you edited what I said. An .800 OPS as a platoon player. You dropped the important part. He got off to a poor start this season and his OPS against righties is .913 and his OBP is .330. His walk rate isn't great against righties but it's 2.5 times what it is against lefties.

We'd have to have a person making the lineups who understands that and doesn't regularly play him against LHP based on those splits, but his numbers suggest the potential that he could fill a major league role that the White Sox actually need to fill.

And that's all I've been saying guys. Its just about giving someone else a shot and that's it. Nobody in this thread has said Wilkins is the long term solution so its funny how some read far more into posts than what's actually being said. :cheers

I am pointing out others who suck who put up big numbers in Charlotte. Love Andy Wilkins all you want but he is 6 months older than Dayan Viciedo. What kind of numbers do you think Viciedo could put up in Charlotte? He isn't putting up an .800 OPS in Chicago.

Sometimes you have to take AAA breakouts with a grain of salt.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
I am pointing out others who suck who put up big numbers in Charlotte. Love Andy Wilkins all you want but he is 6 months older than Dayan Viciedo. What kind of numbers do you think Viciedo could put up in Charlotte? He isn't putting up an .800 OPS in Chicago.

Sometimes you have to take AAA breakouts with a grain of salt.

If "this guy might be a decent platoon player if he works out and we should give him a shot to see because we're rebuilding and this is a position we actually need to fill" isn't taking a guy with a grain of salt I have no idea what is.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
How come nobody wants to give Phegley another shot? His numbers have been climbing as well?

I'd certainly be willing to, but he's a poor replacement for Adam Dunn and this thread happens to be on that subject. Phegley's problem is that he plays a position where being a solid fielder and handling the pitching staff is perhaps more important than what is actually produced with the bats and people seem to continue to hesitate on that issue with him.

It is, notably, one big reason why catchers sometimes take longer to develop than other positions.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 09:30 AM)
How come nobody wants to give Phegley another shot? His numbers have been climbing as well?

The obvious answer is Josh is a right handed hitting catcher. Wilkins is a left handed hitting 1B.

I will say this just once more. ITS ABOUT GIVING WILKINS A SHOT AND THATS IT! No "love".

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 09:30 AM)

Because he's a bad catcher.

Needs a new position.

It wouldn't surprise me if he hit in the majors, even though his 200 at bats last year were terrible.

I am surprised that there hasn't been more market for Dunn. Just as a bench bat, much less a platoon DH, would have some value.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)

I'd love to give Phegs another shot but we don't have the space for him at the moment with Nieto and Flowers on the roster.

I think he'll get his chance in September to show the club that he can hit MLB pitching, not before unless Flowers gets traded....

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)

Needs a new position.

It wouldn't surprise me if he hit in the majors, even though his 200 at bats last year were terrible.

I am surprised that there hasn't been more market for Dunn. Just as a bench bat, much less a platoon DH, would have some value.

I'm guessing there probably has been, but Dunn is a fat chick at a bar. Nobody is going to go up to her first, but by the end of the night, someone will be desparate enough to take her home.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 03:54 PM)
I'm guessing there probably has been, but Dunn is a fat chick at a bar. Nobody is going to go up to her first, but by the end of the night, someone will be desparate enough to take her home.

That has to be the best sum up of why some players get traded for so much at the Trade Deadline.

Absolutely brilliant.

Would this make Alex Rios and Jesse Crain "Fat Chicks" :D

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)

Needs a new position.

There may be and there's just no leaks coming out. Hasn't Hahn been much more tight lipped than KW? There's been like 1 or 2 seemingly legit rumor so far on all our players and the deadline is 8 days away.

QUOTE (glangon @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 09:57 AM)
That has to be the best sum up of why some players get traded for so much at the Trade Deadline.

Absolutely brilliant.

Would this make Alex Rios and Jesse Crain "Fat Chicks" :D

Rios, yes. Crain seems more like a nerdy girl who you want to believe is attractive, but she never gets that way and you eventually just forget about her.

^Haha. Agreed. But I don't see us resigning Dunn, the general fanbase hates his guts.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
^Haha. Agreed. But I don't see us resigning Dunn, the general fanbase hates his guts.

Despite the fact that the White Sox could use a LH hitting DH next year, signing Dunn on a 1 year deal just doesn't fit what we're seemingly trying to do, which is put together guys who can contribute long-term. It'd be really nice to avoid spending money on that position next year if we didn't have to.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)
Despite the fact that the White Sox could use a LH hitting DH next year, signing Dunn on a 1 year deal just doesn't fit what we're seemingly trying to do, which is put together guys who can contribute long-term. It'd be really nice to avoid spending money on that position next year if we didn't have to.

If they strike out on all of their targets, and Dunn also strikes out on all of his possible landing spots, I could see him back.

Also, the striking out thing is most definitely a pun.

It's hard to figure Hahn. He dumped Thornton quickly for a rule 5 eligible.

But he really seemed to hold out for the best offer with Peavy (worked, but had to find someone who wasn't in the market for Peavy in order to get what they thought was a top prospect) and Rios (not so much).

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 01:42 PM)
It's hard to figure Hahn. He dumped Thornton quickly for a rule 5 eligible.

But he really seemed to hold out for the best offer with Peavy (worked, but had to find someone who wasn't in the market for Peavy in order to get what they thought was a top prospect) and Rios (not so much).

With Thornton, I think he had a certain threshold type of player in mind, and jumped when he got that sort of player. Jacobs is gone and off to Arizona now anyways.

Peavy always held value, and he held out for the best package he could.

Rios didn't have a ton of value without the Sox eating some salary, something they usually oppose doing. They put him on waivers knowing full well that they wanted to get Garcia an extended look and no longer wanted/needed Rios on the team, and he got as much as he possibly could (which, yes, was simply Leury Garcia).

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)
If Adam Dunn is the fat chick at the bar, Alex Rios is chick who is good looking but just the biggest b**** to a point where going home empty-handed is preferred to talking to her.

The b****y gold digger? I could accept that analogy.