No Dunn trade talk?

knightni

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 04:40 PM)
I suppose if anyone on thbe tesm could be seen leaving before the end of the month it might be Dunn. But, only if they pick up his salary. There is no need to trade anyone IMO. You hear it on this site al the time that we won't get anything in return anyway. Now I don't undervalue our players, but if you are going to trade to improve for 2015 then you do it (1) when you know our minor league guys can step in and play (and I don't really see that yet) and/or (2) you can get a good return that will help us at the big league level. And I don't mean a couple of minor league guys who might be 3 years away. We are not going to benefit this year by just giving up on one of our players for whatever is offered. Maybe the trades come during the off season? We might even go after some free agents. Who knows?

That would be the point. The White Sox would only pick up salary if it offered them a solid return in prospects. Right now, if I were Oakland or Seattle and Dunn was put on waivers I'd grab him to fortify my lineup/bench at a reasonable cost given the time remaining. The Sox ought to be able to save some money on him at least.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
That would be the point. The White Sox would only pick up salary if it offered them a solid return in prospects. Right now, if I were Oakland or Seattle and Dunn was put on waivers I'd grab him to fortify my lineup/bench at a reasonable cost given the time remaining. The Sox ought to be able to save some money on him at least.

I wonder how many times Sox have put Dunn on waivers....

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 04:57 PM)
Yep. And if he's on the Sox past the July 31st deadline, they will make it an even 4 this August, 99.9999% sure of that.

And this will probably be the first time he's claimed, if things get that far.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 05:24 PM)
It would be about a $5 million price tag for the claiming team. I don't think it happens.

If I were either Oakland or Seattle, with what they've already given up to compete this year, assuming they don't solve their DH slot through any other means I'd be surprised if they didn't.

You don't trade Russell for those 2 pitchers and then leave the DH spot that weak when the cost is $5 mil. Yeah try to get it done first and get the sox to chip in but given the choice?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
There is a tangible thing in baseball too, and it's called murdering right handed pitching. Dunn does it. He's a useful player, it's just a very specific and limited use. You put him in Seattle's lineup at DH against RHP and it becomes quite a bit more formidable.

LOL.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 03:24 PM)
It would be about a $5 million price tag for the claiming team. I don't think it happens.

Just pay the freight and get a marginal prospect instead. If that's even possible.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)
At some point if you are a contender you have to ask yourself if Dunn for the stretch run is somebody you want to give a ton of at bats to. The answer is Gosh, NO!!

There are intangibles in baseball. One is called buzzkill. And you don't want Adam Dunn on your contending team. One of those 1-for-30 slumps will get the fans all hot and bothered and booing your contender. Would any GM risk his reputation on Adam Dunn at this point? I doubt it.

Now in the NL as a pinch hitter? I guess maybe.

I pretty much agree man. There are some excited fanbases out there for sure. I know you can't measure pressure really but the only evidence, signing with the Sox, points to him wilting under the weight of it. He wilted so bad that it got people fired and changed the direction of this team forever, including s***ting on the end of Konerko's career. All GMs know that AD to the Sox was one of the worst signings in the history of the game. Why would another GM risk that 0-30 that happens a few times per year? The odds of him being the "missing piece" to another team are so small that the risk of him being a giant failure has to outweigh that enough to laugh at the idea. Well, here's to hoping some GM thinks AD's 2-run single tonight is the beginning of a surge.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 07:51 PM)
I pretty much agree man. There are some excited fanbases out there for sure. I know you can't measure pressure really but the only evidence, signing with the Sox, points to him wilting under the weight of it. He wilted so bad that it got people fired and changed the direction of this team forever, including s***ting on the end of Konerko's career. All GMs know that AD to the Sox was one of the worst signings in the history of the game. Why would another GM risk that 0-30 that happens a few times per year? The odds of him being the "missing piece" to another team are so small that the risk of him being a giant failure has to outweigh that enough to laugh at the idea. Well, here's to hoping some GM thinks AD's 2-run single tonight is the beginning of a surge.

Dunn isn't anywhere near what he was in his prime. He can still do damage against RHP though. He would fit in nicely in Oakland for sure. You will choose to ignore this because you hate Adam Dunn. Just pointing it out though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 07:59 PM)
Dunn isn't anywhere near what he was in his prime. He can still do damage against RHP though. He would fit in nicely in Oakland for sure. You will choose to ignore this because you hate Adam Dunn. Just pointing it out though.

I wish I didn't hate him so much so I could think more objectively. Any positive stat that he has annoys me to the point of wanting to disprove its actual credibility. Like OBP. Getting on base is good. But I don't ever see him get on base so wtf is this stat talking about?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 07:16 AM)
I wish I didn't hate him so much so I could think more objectively. Any positive stat that he has annoys me to the point of wanting to disprove its actual credibility. Like OBP. Getting on base is good. But I don't ever see him get on base so wtf is this stat talking about?

He's done. He has very few home runs this year for a power hitter. I commend him for today's key hit, especially if he was trying to go that way, but he's been an utter disaster on the south side.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:38 AM)
He's done. He has very few home runs this year for a power hitter. I commend him for today's key hit, especially if he was trying to go that way, but he's been an utter disaster on the south side.

Dunn's hitting plenty of HRs. He has hit one every 19.5 ABs this year. 19th best in all of baseball. Right on par with Pujols and Bautista. The reason his power numbers look so low is because he's lost 100+ PAs to our mascot. Add another 5-6 HRs and 15 RBIs and his numbers look a whole lot better.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 03:39 AM)
Dunn's hitting plenty of HRs. He has hit one every 19.5 ABs this year. 19th best in all of baseball. Right on par with Pujols and Bautista. The reason his power numbers look so low is because he's lost 100+ PAs to our mascot. Add another 5-6 HRs and 15 RBIs and his numbers look a whole lot better.

Had to laugh. Is this an old nickname, or original material from yourself?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 01:16 AM)

At least you are honest, man.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:38 AM)

Dunn would have close to 20 homers if he played more. You are ridiculous man. You come here and spew out nonsense. Just say you hate Adam Dunn. That's okay. It's allowed. Dunn has definitely been a disappointment. What's more disappointing to me is that the White Sox owner strong armed the front office into lowering Adam Dunn's overall value by the insistence of Paul Konerko (who actually is done; finished playing baseball for a living) being on the roster. Now that's a pointless move. But you don't care about that. You would rather sit on your couch in Lawrence and root for PK while dreaming of 2005 instead of having the better player in the lineup.