Yanks on Danks

southsider2k5

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 08:39 AM)
I of course disagree. Maybe not a title contender, but certainly a playoff contender IMO. Really think adding Avi and Semien/Johnson alone will make a huge difference for the offense and I envision Hahn adding a FA bat, SP, and some bullpen help.

I don't mind the whole "Danks is a backend starter getting paid like a mid rotation starter" simply because the Sox have 2 front line starters that are being paid like 3/4s. Even adding a huge SP contract to go along with Danks would not even put the Sox close to the Phillies and Dodgers of the worlds in terms of SP contracts.

Like others have said, he has much more value to the Sox than he does any other team. At the very least the longer you keep him, as long as he doesn't get hurt or starts getting hit around more than just a few times a year, the more valuable he potentially becomes.

Semien was not very good earlier this year and no one knows what Johnson will do in his first try at the MLB. They are not likely to be much of an improvement.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 08:40 AM)
The odds of Danks getting hurt today are slim to none, but why even risk it if you a think a trade is near? The Red Sox scratched Jon Lester, the Cubs kept Bonaficio out of the lineup, why?

Maybe a negotiation thing.

You pull your player because you have multiple suitors & you want them to know that the time is near, it's time to make your best/final offer, etc. If you have only one serious suitor you probably don't pull that.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 09:35 PM)
John Danks lhp

5 years/$65M (2012-16)

5 years/$65M (2012-16)

signed extension with Chicago White Sox 12/23/11 (avoided arbitration)

$7.5M signing bonus (paid between 6/12 and 10/12)

12:$0.5M, 13:$14.25M, 14:$14.25M, 15:$14.25M, 16:$14.25M

full no-trade clause for 2012

may block trades to six clubs annually for 2013-16 (for 2014, no-trade list includes Baltimore, Oakland, Toronto and Washington)

2 more unknown teams in Danks' NTC

So it's really more like 32-33m

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 08:39 AM)
One of the best deadlines was 2004. I was watching ESPN as the clock struck zero. It's when the Cubs got Nomar and the Sox picked up Contreras. There was a flury in the last hour.

The 2009 season was cool too. The Sox and Padres agreed to package for Peavy in late May and we found out that Peavy turned the trade down. Come the trade deadline, we found out the Sox did end up trading for him, and this was after all the offseason hoopla of the Cubs acquiring him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 08:40 AM)
The odds of Danks getting hurt today are slim to none, but why even risk it if you a think a trade is near? The Red Sox scratched Jon Lester, the Cubs kept Bonaficio out of the lineup, why?

Exactly. Just a minor tweak ruins the deal. Unlike when the Sox traded for Peavy and it really didn't matter if he was able to pitch right away, anyone trading for Danks wants to use him immediately.

I do know one thing, if Danks did get hurt today and it came out that the Sox had a deal lined up but that injury killed it, somehow it would be 23's fault.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 08:33 AM)
So what's the story with things today Rock? What going on with Danks because it seems to be mixed signals right now.

I know it's busy but I haven't heard of us adding or shedding significant payroll yet so nothing concrete coming my way.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 08:44 AM)
Maybe a negotiation thing.

You pull your player because you have multiple suitors & you want them to know that the time is near, it's time to make your best/final offer, etc. If you have only one serious suitor you probably don't pull that.

Then the suitors pull out because Danks appeared to grimace on that pitch, or a comebacker hit him in the ankle.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 08:45 AM)
Exactly. Just a minor tweak ruins the deal. Unlike when the Sox traded for Peavy and it really didn't matter if he was able to pitch right away, anyone trading for Danks wants to use him immediately.

I do know one thing, if Danks did get hurt today and it came out that the Sox had a deal lined up but that injury killed it, somehow it would be 23's fault.

However, you have to say publically that he is going to start to maintain some leverage. You can't tell a team that we will walk away from the deal because it's not good enough then tell the world that Danks is not starting because he is being traded.

The sturdy lefty is in line for a market-value contract ($24 million-$25 million per season) and that’s suddenly too rich for the Red Sox’ taste. It doesn’t matter that Lester is a player who has proven he can succeed in the crucible of Boston baseball and had the second-best pitcher WAR (wins above replacement) in major league baseball at the start of Wednesday.

There is no question being burned by bad long-term deals given to Carl Crawford, Adrian Gonzalez, and Josh Beckett has distorted how the Sox view re-signing Lester.

Aging baby-boomers can identify with the Sox’ new team-building approach. They don’t trust anyone over 30.

Meet the risk-averse Red Sox, who are willing to cede one of the single biggest advantages derived from being in this baseball-obsessed market — the financial might to write off bad contracts. Deals that would be crippling for other clubs can be sold off by the Sox because they have a fan base that is willing to have its fealty monetized.

But the Sox want to build their team now like they have the budget of the Kansas City Royals.

You don’t have to be legendary political economist Adam Smith to figure out that if the Sox are going to try to legislate a one-team market correction for baseball they’re going to miss out on some quality players.

The persistent trade talk and seeming inevitability of a Lester deal made being at Fenway feel like waiting in line at the RMV — tedious, joyless, but entirely mandatory. It only got worse during the game, as the Sox sank back to 12 games below .500 (48-60).

At about 3:15 p.m, Twitter reports filtered in that the Sox had traded away a homegrown lefthanded pitcher who overpowered the Cardinals in the 2013 World Series.

But it wasn’t Lester.

The Sox shipped malcontent Felix Doubront to old friend Theo Epstein and the Chicago Cubs. Doubront just beat the Sox by two days in completely quitting on this team, after his embarrassing relief “effort’’ on Monday in a 14-1 drubbing by the Blue Jays.

Lester, who has been one of the few bright spots for the Sox, going 10-7 with a 2.52 ERA, was originally supposed to start Wednesday night against the Blue Jays. But the Sox announced Tuesday that Brandon Workman would make the start.

No need to risk damaging the merchandise before you hawk it for maximum value.

www.bostonglobe.com

I can actually squint and see a Miami connection. They have been publicly braying that they want to "add, not subtract." They have one of the lowest payrolls in the league and are oft-cited as consistently being among the most profitable organizations. As such, they are constantly under pressure to invest more resources to raise payroll and act competitive. If they want to make it appear as though this si what they're doing, picking up a market-rate asset like Danks fits the bill because they have to give up little in return, and many have speculated that it's a tough case for them to make to get market-rate players to sign there.

Adding a $14m/yr starter makes their payroll look better on paper, and Danks has just enough name value for them to spin the PR to the casual fan (lol, "Marlins fan") that they're being aggressive in improving the club without sacrificing the future; that ownership was willing to pony up the cash to make an upgrade that doesn't hurt the system.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 08:43 AM)
Semien was not very good earlier this year and no one knows what Johnson will do in his first try at the MLB. They are not likely to be much of an improvement.

Any improvement helps. Beckham is hitting under the mendoza line against RHP. I'd say the chances 1 of Semien/Johnson/Saladino/Sanchez not being able to offer a "significant" upgrade to that is rather slim.

On that note, I had not realized he's been THAT bad, my goodness. The fact the Sox are anywhere close to competing with a 2B who's hitting .192 and an OFer that's batting .230 vs RHP is rather incredible.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 09:02 AM)
Wow! If A's don't resign Lester that's an awful deal for them IMO.

Cespedes is a UFA in 2015. Very reasonable to think that Lester gives as much value in the next couple months as Cespedes does in the next couple months plus season. OAK sheds a big salary too.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 09:02 AM)
Will it be because it might actually happen or because somebody is trying to drum up interest in Danks?

s***'s going to get really busy in the next two hours, I'll post if I get another text but it appears the lawyers and finance are huddling.